Captain America: The First Avenger Vs X-Men: First Class

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After some of us had a discussion about this a few weeks ago I thought I would make a

• Total voters
I voted Cap.
I was kinda let down by it in theaters, but it has strangely become one of my favorites.
I loved the parts of first class that featured Charles and/or Eric, but the young kids of the team ruined most of it for me.

Captain America for me. It's one of my favorite Marvel movies to date. Just a really solid movie.

I'm in the minority, I didnt enjoy FC and was pleasantly surprised by TFA.

As someone mentioned earlier, the young student mutants irritated me and I found their "powers" to be unimaginative and derivitaive of other mutants before them. We already had Cyclops, now we get a guy that shoots energy from his chest, great. Trying to remember some of the others and can't, guess thats how memorable it was. That being said, I enjoyed Fassbender and Macavoy. Fassbender seems almost too good an actor to be in this movie. At least FC led to DOFP, which was far better.

I voted for First Class. Fassbender was absolutely phenomenal casting for Magneto, and it made me a bit sad that they didn't just stick with the Magneto Origin movie after seeing it. Still, it was a good movie. As a long time X-Men comic fan, I never enjoyed Xavier until I saw First Class. Mcavoy brought a lot to the character! The scene where the younger mutants are testing out their powers made me wish Captain America was there to show them some manners! That's the reason why I never watched the movie again.

Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy the second half of Captain America. I loved the beginning, especially Steve's comment about bullies and the grenade scene. I know a lot of people here thought that scene was cheesy, and it was, but I still like it! Hugo Weaving did a good job with his portrayal of the Red Skull, but the character was so boring that I couldn't finish the movie. I finally watched it again, but I still didn't enjoy the scenes with him. That's a big problem with all the Marvel movies for me. I don't care about the villain, therefore I don't care about any of the super heroics. I liked Steve talking to Peggy on his way down though! It was a really nice scene in the Winter Soldier, calling back to their dance. That scene where he visits Peggy is my favorite Marvel movie scene.

Captain America: The First Avenger is greatly under-appreciated. Entertainment Weekly gave a great reflective review, ranking it #2 (behind only TWS) of all MCU films:

"You've got a supporting cast stacked high with ringers doing top-notch work: Wry-but-sad Stanley Tucci, crusty-yet-lovable Tommy Lee Jones, sneering Hugo Weaving, sniveling Toby Jones, dashing Dominic Cooper doing Robert Downey Jr. doing Tony Stark as Cary Grant. You've got Hayley Atwell, whose tough-cool-beautiful love interest left such an impression that a TV spinoff is on the maybe-horizon. And you've got Chris Evans doing the precise opposite of his old Human Torch and investing his Steve Rogers with an undercurrent of melancholy that makes the film's potentially cheesy old-school heroism feel hard-won.

More than any other Marvel Studios film, First Avenger feels the most like a film — a complete journey, from Rogers' ascension to heroism through his ultimate self-sacrifice. Along the way, director Joe Johnston infuses the film with a snappy retro spirit, shooting the film in a style that simultaneously suggests war photography and war propaganda. (Johnston is the one Marvel director so far whose particular authorial instincts triumph over the studio's house style — which is why Captain America occasionally feels like the brilliant Rocketeer sequel nobody ever realized we wanted.) Captain America remains the only Marvel film to feature an Alan Menken song. Cap's period-appropriate, star-spangled paratrooper outfit remains the best Marvel costume. And with all due respect to Iron Man, no Marvel film has a better last line. ''I had a date.'' DEVASTATING. There'll probably never be another film set in First Avenger's WWII milieu — which makes the movie even more of a unique, singular achievement."

I thoroughly enjoyed First Class much more than the First Avenger.

Call me crazy, but Red Skull ruined it for me. I didn't care for Weaving at all. And the Hydra minions didn't help things either. Replace that half of the story and I would have watched it more than I did. One time was enough for me. First Class was refreshing. Great cast, from heroes to villains. Great story. First Avenger definitely wasn't horrible. Not by any means. I just felt that it fell short, especially for Captain's big screen debut. Now, The Winter Soldier? That was borderline perfection.

Captain America: The First Avenger is greatly under-appreciated. Entertainment Weekly gave a great reflective review, ranking it #2 (behind only TWS) of all MCU films:

"You've got a supporting cast stacked high with ringers doing top-notch work: Wry-but-sad Stanley Tucci, crusty-yet-lovable Tommy Lee Jones, sneering Hugo Weaving, sniveling Toby Jones, dashing Dominic Cooper doing Robert Downey Jr. doing Tony Stark as Cary Grant. You've got Hayley Atwell, whose tough-cool-beautiful love interest left such an impression that a TV spinoff is on the maybe-horizon. And you've got Chris Evans doing the precise opposite of his old Human Torch and investing his Steve Rogers with an undercurrent of melancholy that makes the film's potentially cheesy old-school heroism feel hard-won.

More than any other Marvel Studios film, First Avenger feels the most like a film — a complete journey, from Rogers' ascension to heroism through his ultimate self-sacrifice. Along the way, director Joe Johnston infuses the film with a snappy retro spirit, shooting the film in a style that simultaneously suggests war photography and war propaganda. (Johnston is the one Marvel director so far whose particular authorial instincts triumph over the studio's house style — which is why Captain America occasionally feels like the brilliant Rocketeer sequel nobody ever realized we wanted.) Captain America remains the only Marvel film to feature an Alan Menken song. Cap's period-appropriate, star-spangled paratrooper outfit remains the best Marvel costume. And with all due respect to Iron Man, no Marvel film has a better last line. ''I had a date.'' DEVASTATING. There'll probably never be another film set in First Avenger's WWII milieu — which makes the movie even more of a unique, singular achievement."

A "reflective" review already? That film came out 3 years ago...not 10 or 20 :lol I agree about the costume...I think. Is that the one with the leather jacket? That's my favorite. My problem with the film is the second half was rushed and using a montage of action scenes was underwhelming and unnecessary. I don't think Redskull was that great either. He looked cool, but he was underwhelming as a villain, especially since he was Capt's equal in physical strength. The last line was very good and a GREAT ending, but it's too bad they didn't use that in the sequel. The really rushed the man out of time element in TWS, and after such a great ending in The First Avenger, he gets one quick scene with the old lady in TWS, and that's it....one more thing he can cross out from his "to do list." I guess he really wanted to listen to that Nirvana CD as soon as posible. :lol

I thoroughly enjoyed First Class much more than the First Avenger.

Call me crazy, but Red Skull ruined it for me. I didn't care for Weaving at all. And the Hydra minions didn't help things either. Replace that half of the story and I would have watched it more than I did. One time was enough for me. First Class was refreshing. Great cast, from heroes to villains. Great story. First Avenger definitely wasn't horrible. Not by any means. I just felt that it fell short, especially for Captain's big screen debut. Now, The Winter Soldier? That was borderline perfection.

You can attribute most of that to Joe Johnston being forced to skip past most of his heroics, they also glossed over all his combat training which really bothered me, the movie feels rushed because it was, Marvel had to fast-forward past some of Cap's most important moments so that they could lead into The Avengers. A lot of significant character development was lost because of that, they could have built up his rivalry with Red Skull a lot better, more interaction with The Howling Commandos would have been welcomed, show a lot more of what made him a national hero/celebrity etc....

I think the first half of the movie is solid, but once he becomes Cap, everything feels rushed and lackluster, especially the action, that final fight with Red Skull was worse than Iron Man 2's final Whiplash fight.

I did however enjoy the ending, and I actually preferred Evans' performance in this to TWS especially before he becomes Cap.

Last edited:

Good review, I caught this on disc when it came out and was very much surprised by how much I liked it. After hearing so many lackluster reviews when it came out, it kept me away from the theater, too bad they didnt get the review right the first tme.

TFA is one of my 3 favorite of the Marvel Universe films, it had such a genuine feeling of innocence about it, felt unpolished (in a good way) and really amazed me that Chris Evans could act. It felt closer to an Indiana Jones movie then a super hero movie, except the lead actor began as such an unlikely underdog that you had no choice but to root for him. This film made me a fan more than any of the other Marvel movies, until GOTG, at least. As I was never a comic book person, this was my introduction to the character.

On a side note, I am happily surprised to see TFA has caught up with FC.

Seriously? Because I wont know if your pulling my leg. :D At least that explains it, somewhat. Would have hate to been their parents.
Yeah, it really is in the comics anyway. Scott Summers is Cyclops and Alex Summers is Havok. I think Havok was chosen as a proxy for Cyclops since they couldn't use him for continuity purposes (or what passes for it in the X-films).

Yeah, it really is in the comics anyway. Scott Summers is Cyclops and Alex Summers is Havok. I think Havok was chosen as a proxy for Cyclops since they couldn't use him for continuity purposes (or what passes for it in the X-films).

Thank you for the comic education. :) I enjoy these films, but have had a curiosity lately about much of what the comic fans get to experience. Perhaps I was too hard on it for a lame reason.

Well it's funny that, from a comic fan's perspective, First Class was one of the most "WTF?" moments in comic movies because they put such a hodgepodge of characters together. But I think it captured the spirit of the X-Men very well, I think the acting was great, and the story and direction weren't anything to sneeze at either IMO. I can understand folks not liking some of the teen behavior/training stuff though. If there was one thing that I didn't really care for rewatching it a couple months back, it was probably that scene where the teens all show off their powers to one another. Just felt cheesy and unnecessary, though on the other hand, it's probably pretty accurate to how teens would behave in that situation.

Well it's funny that, from a comic fan's perspective, First Class was one of the most "WTF?" moments in comic movies because they put such a hodgepodge of characters together. But I think it captured the spirit of the X-Men very well, I think the acting was great, and the story and direction weren't anything to sneeze at either IMO. I can understand folks not liking some of the teen behavior/training stuff though. If there was one thing that I didn't really care for rewatching it a couple months back, it was probably that scene where the teens all show off their powers to one another. Just felt cheesy and unnecessary, though on the other hand, it's probably pretty accurate to how teens would behave in that situation.

I liked the scene. However, the only thing I didn't like was their powers :lol So many awful abilities, the girl with the wings, the guy who scream, Hank with his Sideshow Bob feet, and that dude who could "adapt" and breath under water...man, what a useless group of mutants :lol Magneto, Xavier, and the villains saved that film for me.

Back