Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howard and Tony should be similar, seeing the dressed up ladies in front of a car at Stark Industries makes me think of the Ironettes and that is reaching. People commented how he was smarter than his father but that his attitude held him back not "Hey you're just like your father in every way."

Daddy never wore lifts did he?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I love that Howard Stark is involved in this but I hate that they are doing a Tony Stark impression of it. Everything that the first two Iron Man films have set up show Howard as a bit of a hardass, a stick in the mud who only loosened up when drinking but from what I've seen this is basically Tony lite.

Agreed. HATE that. :monkey4

I love that Howard Stark is involved in this but I hate that they are doing a Tony Stark impression of it. Everything that the first two Iron Man films have set up show Howard as a bit of a hardass, a stick in the mud who only loosened up when drinking but from what I've seen this is basically Tony lite. Red Skull does look Kewl though.

When we saw him he was much older, wiser, maturer and more experienced man.

Howard Stark is a young man in Captain America. A young man who looks like he doesn't have that much experience under his belt.

At least that's the way I see it.

Howard and Tony should be similar, seeing the dressed up ladies in front of a car at Stark Industries makes me think of the Ironettes and that is reaching. People commented how he was smarter than his father but that his attitude held him back not "Hey you're just like your father in every way."

Ah screw it, I agree with you now :lol

Why did I even bother anyways :slap

Howard Stark is a young man in Captain America. A young man who looks like he doesn't have that much experience under his belt.

That's the way I see it too. I don't know the exact year movie-wise Iron Man takes place, but I'm assuming this is at least 20 or so years before Tony is even born, so there's plenty of events that can take place in that time to shape him into the man we see during the original Stark Expo and we can see where Tony gets his traits from since he looks about the same age, as his dad was in Cap, in the IM movies

I see Howard as an all work and no play perfectionist. People like that are usually always like that, not just in the old age.

That's the way I see it too. I don't know the exact year movie-wise Iron Man takes place, but I'm assuming this is at least 20 or so years before Tony is even born, so there's plenty of events that can take place in that time to shape him into the man we see during the original Stark Expo and we can see where Tony gets his traits from since he looks about the same age, as his dad was in Cap, in the IM movies

We've been given no real time constraints but the 1974 Stark Expo filming where Tony was about 10 from the video. That would put him about 46 at the time of Iron Man 2 (Tony) which is roughly in the same ballpark of RDJ's own age. Now let's assume that John Slattery who is 48, at the time of Iron Man 2, was the age of Howard Stark puts Howard Stark's birth year at 1926 which makes him about 19 during World War II. About 19 years roughly before Tony's birth. The thing is Dominic Cooper is 33 and I seriously doubt that he is playing 19 so I'm sure the fudging can be done with the age of Howard Stark but your assumption on age is about right.

Either way though Howard Stark even at 29 for example in a World War II atmosphere, being a titan of a budding industry wouldn't exactly have the same gusto as 20th/21st century Tony Stark.

I see Howard as an all work and no play perfectionist. People like that are usually always like that, not just in the old age.

That is what I got from it, that Howard was a perfectionist, was a hard as steel man, "a lion" as he has been referred to many times. Everyone from Nick Fury to Obi Stane has talked about Howard Stark like a Man ahead of his time which makes it weird to me that they'd use a Tony Lite application when they could have made him his own character.

I would have loved to see Howard complain about the wrecklessness of youth or even talk about how hard work is necessary and then have Steve make comments to Tony about how his father was nothing like him instead of making some tongue in cheek sour joke about how Tony was like his father, giggle giggle, chuckle chuckle. There is no depth in going that direction.

Dominic Cooper was quoted somewhere around the Super Bowl saying that Howard Stark was Inventor AND Playboy, that he was one of those that you never knew where he came from, dressed in a tuxedo and whether he was at a social event or work one and that he loved his lifestyle.

I'm paraphrasing of course because I'm too lazy too look for it but it seems at least that is how Cooper is playing it, they could edit it differently of course but that seemed to have been the intention.

Usually but not always.

Anyway we all have different POV's on Howard Stark...we can all speculate on his character and none of us will ever be truly 100% correct.

So let's just all agree to disagree. :D :peace

Back