Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Captain America 2

I know little of the Directors but they gotta start somewhere. I recall some people calling the choice of JW as director of Avengers strange and disappointing. Look how that turned out.

Joss can easily be tucked into your "tv shows" point, since Serenity's been his only venture into celluloid. Kenneth is known for his romantic comedies and Shakespearean work. Hardly what most would consider a bullseye for an action packed superhero movie.
Joss's TV shows were not indie comedy fare like Arrested Development and Happy Endings. They had action, comedy, and character interactions that geek comic fans could (and did) get behind. And I'm not sure how dealing with Shakesperean stuff can't prepare you for any kind of dramatic undertaking, considering that Shakespeare's work was brilliant and the stories and interactions of the characters are as complex and relevant as anything else ever made. But specifically, Henry the V was right up Thor's alley all the way. I'm not familiar with these romantic comedies Branagh is so well known for that you are referring to. He maybe starred in some.

Marc Webb seems to have done a fine job on ASM and prior to that he directed 500 days of Summer, hardly a summer blockbuster.

youmedupreeposter.jpg

This doesn't bode well. Generally speaking, any film that is co-directed by "brothers" ends up a steaming pile of poo more often times than not.

I'll wait and see. I wasn't sold on Favreau, Branagh, or Whedon so selling things shot now seems silly.

Branagh had done heroic Shakespeare stuff, Whedon wrote comic books and TV shows with large ensemble casts, Shane Black has written classic action movies and worked with RDJ, and Favreau had some experience with visual effects. I'm not saying that two guys who made a romantic comedy shouldn't be considered, but it wasn't even a good romantic comedy.

Captain America 2 is losing the patriotic WWII time period, all the period supporting cast, the interaction with Iron Man/Thor/Hulk, and a director who nailed the tone of the original. It's going to be a challenge for anyone, and their choice of director(s) is really strange to me. Maybe they just want someone who will work for cheap and do exactly what the producers tell them.

Captain America 2 is losing the patriotic WWII time period, all the period supporting cast, the interaction with Iron Man/Thor/Hulk, and a director who nailed the tone of the original. It's going to be a challenge for anyone, and their choice of director(s) is really strange to me. Maybe they just want someone who will work for cheap and do exactly what the producers tell them.

I say good riddance to WWII. There's only so far they can take that and after closing that chapter at the end of TFA and having him in Avengers, it would seem really odd to suddenly do a prequel. I'm curious to see how they're going to handle America's Super Soldier while our country's still at war.

Yeah, it's and odd choice and it could backfire we shall see. I don't think Marvel is gonna let that happen. You don't shoot the goose that laid the golden egg and this run of movies has been it.

Not digging this choice at all.
Just when you start think you understand Marvels director selection mindset you get this.
Yoikes.

Everybody can root for Captain America when he is involved in a war against the Nazis, but even then they downplayed the Nazis and focused on Hydra. Putting Cap in the middle of a polarizing and controversial contemporary war is going to divide the audience. I assume he will be going on a mission against a terrorist super villain rather than being shown as an American soldier on the front lines in Afghanistan, etc.

Given his outfit pretty much exploits the American flag, I don't think they'll be too worried about how the film would do in those areas though. :lol

I really don't see why they are even making another Cap film. His first movie told all of the story that anyone wanted to see. What could they possibly do in a sequel (with no supporting superheroes) that would actually be interesting or worth doing?

Back