Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Captain America 2

It seems like it'd be really difficult to put Cap back in WWII. They didn't leave a whole lot of room for some new story to be told in the the middle of the first one.

Yes they did. There's like a 7 or 8 year gap between the start of the montage, until the end of it. It wasn't a 4 day thing. They did it so they could go back.

I'd like to see modern day Captain America in the Avengers trilogy and keep his own trilogy primarily in WWII. Each one could have modern day bookends that set up the main flashback story set in the time period during that montage. The character works so well that time period. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts and plays off the characters in the Avengers--but leave him all by himself in a modern Captain America 2, and I don't know how it will work as well as the first one.

I'd like to see Cap really kicking Nazi ass and raiding a concentration camp. With no lasers. Period.

Too bad that will never happen.

I'd like to see modern day Captain America in the Avengers trilogy and keep his own trilogy primarily in WWII. Each one could have modern day bookends that set up the main flashback story set in the time period during that montage. The character works so well that time period. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts and plays off the characters in the Avengers--but leave him all by himself in a modern Captain America 2, and I don't know how it will work as well as the first one.

I agree with that. I really enjoyed the movie, but I'd still like to see a more realistic WWII Cap movie.

But who knows. Maybe the Hydra stuff went far past the end of WWII. Different villain, different goal.

No. They showed people celebrating the end of the war after Cap's plane went down. I believe Johnston was quoted as saying the montage was supposed to condense three years of him battling Hydra.

I hope they get a good director for this! Someone who actually knows about the character.

A big issue to address before getting down to the action would be Cap's displacement and sense of loneliness in modern times. Marvel's "The Ultimates" series actually portrayed this really well. Cap would hang out with his old friends at the old folks home, go see old movies and traditional "ball room dancing" and spend a lot of time reminiscing about the lives that passed by while he was frozen in ice. So one thing I'd like to see is how Cap is not only handling himself in modern times, which can ensue for some comedic moments, but also the impending sense of loneliness as a "man out of time".

Winter Soldier is certainly an option. I think an ideal script would essentially lead Cap to wanting to take care of some "personal business" and bury his old ghosts in Europe as he visits all the old World War 2 sites where he possibly stumbles upon an old foe or gets wrapped up in a conflict with a new villain...AWAY from the Avengers.

I'd go with the "personal" enemy. Someone like Winter Soldier would insight a bigger incentive for Cap to go off by his lonesome. If they have Hugo Weaving locked up some more as Red Skull, they could bring in other characters like Dr. Faustus. Sharon Carter could also be introduced as a potential love interest, possibly bringing back Hayley Atwell to play the role as Peggy Carter's grand-daughter.

I wish they had done a better job of showing the time span in the montage. I knew it wasn't over the course of a month or some short time span, but it never really occured to me that it spanned three months. Knowing that, it does make sense that Cap and the Howling Commandos would go on other missions while waiting for new leads on Hydra.

I would like to see Fury in WWII as well, but I can't recall if the exchange between him and Cap in Times Square eliminates that possibility. And if that persistent Spidey cameo in Avengers is true, which I am very doubtful of, then let's get a Wolvie cameo in WWII as well. :lol

I wold love to see a Winter Soldier movie. If the movies are going to be set in modern times, I think that is what I would most like to see. Winter Soldier for the sequel and then maybe the death of Cap with Bucky taking his place.

Yeah, the montage spanned to the end of the war. So that would take out another ww2 era one I would think. Cap vs The Winter Soldier in present day would be cool.

I'd like to see some flashbacks in this new movie about Cap being trained how to use his new powers. I wasn't happy that they didn't talk about that in the 1st one, learning how to fight, throw a shield and lead men are skills that don't automatically come with being Weapon I.

No. They showed people celebrating the end of the war after Cap's plane went down. I believe Johnston was quoted as saying the montage was supposed to condense three years of him battling Hydra.

Ah yes. Three years.

I'm sure there will have to be flashback scenes in this. The challenge will be how to not be so melodramatic and soapy and yet still have him deal with his issues. Men of that generation didn't let their feelings show.

Its interesting to me this is coming out in April rather than May. It use to be the summer movie season didn't start until May. I guess Fast Five and The Hunger Games proved movies released in the spring can be highly profitable as well. Plus, movies don't bump into as much competition during that time.
With the first Cap I was impressed it did as well as it did during all the Harry Potter hysteria. If it hadn't been for that I think it would have cracked $200 million in domestic ticket sales.
I do wonder though is Marvel Studios cooking up something else for maybe the late summer of 2014. I would hope to see a non sequel or two come out of them before Avengers 2, perhaps the rumored Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man.

Thor 2 also got bumped from the summer to November 2013. I'm glad to see sequels, but they don't seem confident enough in them to push them as big summer movies. They will probably make Avengers 2 a big June or July release, though, if the first one does well.

The Walt Disney Studios has announced a release date for Marvel Studios’ sequel to the blockbuster Captain America: The First Avenger on April 4, 2014. The second installment will pick-up where the highly anticipated Marvel’s The Avengers (May 4, 2012) leaves off, as Steve Rogers continues his affiliation with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D and struggles to embrace his role in the modern world.

So Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 will kind of stand alone, but Captain America 2 will be a direct follow up to The Avengers.

So Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 will kind of stand alone, but Captain America 2 will be a direct follow up to The Avengers.

I think that it means he'll be an agent of SHIELD so Fury may have a larger role than he has with other stand alone films - Winter Soldier would be an ideal direction for this and they seemed to set it up with the Bucky/Cap relationship in Cap 1.

Back