Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Captain America 2

I really don't see why they are even making another Cap film. His first movie told all of the story that anyone wanted to see. What could they possibly do in a sequel (with no supporting superheroes) that would actually be interesting or worth doing?
Yeah, I say the same about that lame Star Wars movie.

I really don't see why they are even making another Cap film. His first movie told all of the story that anyone wanted to see. What could they possibly do in a sequel (with no supporting superheroes) that would actually be interesting or worth doing?

You're kidding, right? They can do a million different things with Captain America 2. I will see it on opening day too. Loved the original and there are plenty of villains for Cap to fight in a modern movie.

Everyone wanted to see Cap in WW2. If he's not in WW2 then what will he be doing? Who will he be fighting? Seriously, I have no idea here.

:nono Go back to your precious ponies. :tap

no one thought that about Whedon.

Were you in a coma before the movie was released? :dunno

Everyone wanted to see Cap in WW2. If he's not in WW2 then what will he be doing? Who will he be fighting? Seriously, I have no idea here.
Well, Cap has been in comics since the '40s, and has consistently been in them for 50 years (in the contemporary, non-WWII world, no less). He's been in probably thousands of comics with innumerable conflicts and drama. Your argument could be used by anyone not familiar with a character's source material, I guess. "Well, we know what motivates Batman now. No more need for anymore movies," or "well, I guess we know that Superman's an alien. No more stories for that guy!"

Most likely, I figure they'll go for the Winter Soldier storyline since it is relatively recent and was popular, but they could do a storyline with US Agent, or against a modern day Zemo setting up the Thunderbolts for a future Avengers film, or they could do a story about Cap's ill-fated political run from the late '70s, or they could do a story of Cap vs. Crossbones and Sin attempting to get revenge for what he did to Skull, or they could explore the "man out of time" issue more explicitly (which I would prefer) in about 50,000 different ways, likely involving Cap confronting the more ambiguous and less conventional nature of contemporary enemies to the U.S. Or, they could do the most obvious thing--Cap vs. Batroc, for all the marbles!!!

There's literally hundreds and hundreds of stories of Captain America in the present time, much moreso than he ever had for WWII. If you can't imagine what he might do in the here and now I don't know that anyone here can help you with that.

That being said I foresee another "Spider-Man 3" with this new team-up. Fair weather Cap fans will jump ship, burn their HT figures, and announce that Evans always sucked and they should get someone like Andrew Garfield for the reboot. :monkey1

I don't care. There'll always be TFA and The Avengers. :yess:

Well we do know the guys who did Arrested Development could handle those pesky, blue-skinned Frost Giants, so there's some room for optimism. Hard to believe this came before the Thor movie, but it's true.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axHe_BVY_9c[/ame]

As mentioned I can think of two characters they could go with in zemo and the winter soldier. Plus they could find a way to bring the red skull back. So not really close at all to the first movie bing the on,y one.

Most likely, I figure they'll go for the Winter Soldier storyline since it is relatively recent and was popular, but they could do a storyline with US Agent,

My dream Cap movie would feature Rogers stepping down and being replaced by the brawnier, more sadistic John Walker. That actually will be easier to do since Evans isn't that huge and allows for a bigger actor to join the cast.

However I do NOT want to see these dolts directing that movie. Just do Winter Soldier or something I don't care about so I can dismiss it that much easier. :lol

So you don't care for the winter soldier storyline? When Bucky bit it I was actually sort of glad so we could get the Winter Soldier in the second film.

I'm with you, Khev. Even though I like the Brubaker stuff (it takes a truly gifted writer to bring Bucky back and make it succeed well beyond the stupid cash grab it appears to be on its surface), I'm a much bigger fan of the Cap stories I enjoyed as a kid from the '70s and '80s. I would love to see something like the Deathlok/Cap story from DeMatteis and Zeck (the best team that ever worked on Cap IMO), but probably too out there for a Cap movie.

5.jpg

Seems to me that US Agent would better work once Cap gets further developed, though. Because you have to really juxtapose what is different about a guy like Steve Rogers and a guy who wasn't the weak, skinny geek who understood the importance of using power wisely, but received the equivalent of the Super Soldier Serum anyway. And I don't think Cap has been developed enough to show that off yet.

Well, Cap has been in comics since the '40s, and has consistently been in them for 50 years (in the contemporary, non-WWII world, no less). He's been in probably thousands of comics with innumerable conflicts and drama. Your argument could be used by anyone not familiar with a character's source material, I guess. "Well, we know what motivates Batman now. No more need for anymore movies," or "well, I guess we know that Superman's an alien. No more stories for that guy!"

Most likely, I figure they'll go for the Winter Soldier storyline since it is relatively recent and was popular, but they could do a storyline with US Agent, or against a modern day Zemo setting up the Thunderbolts for a future Avengers film, or they could do a story about Cap's ill-fated political run from the late '70s, or they could do a story of Cap vs. Crossbones and Sin attempting to get revenge for what he did to Skull, or they could explore the "man out of time" issue more explicitly (which I would prefer) in about 50,000 different ways, likely involving Cap confronting the more ambiguous and less conventional nature of contemporary enemies to the U.S. Or, they could do the most obvious thing--Cap vs. Batroc, for all the marbles!!!

Thanks for an answer. You guys have to understand that most of the movie-going public knows NOTHING about Captain America other than he was alive in WW2 and frozen. We've had no hit games from CA, no movies, nothing other than comics. And if the movie going public knows nothing then the producers know even less.

There's literally hundreds and hundreds of stories of Captain America in the present time, much moreso than he ever had for WWII. If you can't imagine what he might do in the here and now I don't know that anyone here can help you with that.

That being said I foresee another "Spider-Man 3" with this new team-up. Fair weather Cap fans will jump ship, burn their HT figures, and announce that Evans always sucked and they should get someone like Andrew Garfield for the reboot. :monkey1

I don't care. There'll always be TFA and The Avengers. :yess:

I'm not sure how Winter Soldier would work though. Bucky was a grown man when he was lost in WWII and it's not like he was injected with the Syrum, so he wouldn't survive being frozen this whole time. I'm still wondering how they're planning to work Falcon into the storyline. :lol

Thanks for an answer. You guys have to understand that most of the movie-going public knows NOTHING about Captain America other than he was alive in WW2 and frozen. We've had no hit games from CA, no movies, nothing other than comics. And if the movie going public knows nothing then the producers know even less.

i.e. "When you don't know anything about the character.... TROLL!" :lol

Hey Shropt, 2010 called, it wants its ignorance of Captain America back. :nana:

Everybody knows about Captain America now thanks to two very well done movies, and considering that many more millions of the "movie-going public" saw him in Avengers than TFA, I'd say people are pretty familiar and comfortable with the notion of him doing battle for good in the present time.

I'm still wondering how they're planning to work Falcon into the storyline. :lol

Cap and the Falcon would be awesome but then we'd be back to square one with people wanting Michael Jai White or the new Conan in the role. :lol

But following the logic of your post, Shropt, even fewer people knew anything about Cap prior to the first movie, and went to see it. This movie creates an opportunity for more people to learn about what makes Cap a great and interesting comic character. Then maybe they would want to go back and read some of the older Cap stuff, and will be more interested in subsequent movies when they realize that he's not just a powerful guy who fought in WWII. But coming back to your first post--yes, there are plenty of compelling Cap stories that could be told. My biggest concern, echoing Khev's, is that the guys they are bringing on don't have much of a track record in this area. Could be they hit a homerun anyway, but it's more of a crap shoot of course. At least they've worked on some smart projects, which is better than the alternative.

To Nam's point about Winter Soldier, it wouldn't take a reasonably talented writer very long to think up a way to make Bucky the Winter Soldier in the modern world. But I still hate the idea of resurrecting the only guy who was never resurrected in Marvel for eons, and whose death (and associated guilt) played such a huge role in defining Cap for so long. It's not like saying that Uncle Ben gets resurrected in Spider-Man, but it isn't far from it. And there are so many, really more interesting Cap stories out there!

Most people I saw Avengers with didn't even care about Cap... they cared about Iron Man and Hulk pretty much exclusively. I wonder how much the Avengers box office will help stand alone films like Thor 2 and Cap 2.

I think Avengers helped to build up Cap a little, but the filmmakers focused most on Iron Man, and gave Hulk lots of great, memorable little bits that the audience laughed at, etc. I thought the movie portrayed Cap pretty favorably, but had some missed opportunities where they could have really shown him to be important and special. If he could have just given Stark a single zinger that he couldn't respond to!

Having said that, my wife felt the same way, and said that she thought Cap was boring, and would never see an Avengers movie without RDJ. . .

Back