Premium Format Captain America – Allied Charge on Hydra

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I caved and ordered. I'm so weak. LOL

nelson_haha_pd.jpg
:wink1:

I've looked over the sideshow pictures over and over and then went to see the SDCC YouTube videos. I love this piece a lot but what really bothers me is the strange way his neck is contorted. I emailed an artist friend of mine and asked for her unbiased opinion; she also mentioned the neck, especially when viewed from the back.

Has anyone else noticed that or are my friend and I somehow not seeing it correctly? Again, nothing but love for this piece but wanted your opinions on that.

Looks fine. He looks very contorted but nothing that appears to be impossible to achieve.

Not sure how tall Cap is supposed to be, but I'm 6'7" and have a neck like a giraffe. So if he's my height then maybe it would look a little strange. Also it could look that way because when a person is running, jumping, or stretching their body looks different than if they were just standing still posing.

Not sure how tall Cap is supposed to be, but I'm 6'7" and have a neck like a giraffe. So if he's my height then maybe it would look a little strange. Also it could look that way because when a person is running, jumping, or stretching their body looks different than if they were just standing still posing.

That's a good point. Given the action pose his neck looks fine to me.

I've looked over the sideshow pictures over and over and then went to see the SDCC YouTube videos. I love this piece a lot but what really bothers me is the strange way his neck is contorted. I emailed an artist friend of mine and asked for her unbiased opinion; she also mentioned the neck, especially when viewed from the back.

Has anyone else noticed that or are my friend and I somehow not seeing it correctly? Again, nothing but love for this piece but wanted your opinions on that.

At 0:45, elongated neck equals beauty. Fact :lecture

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olPPOsV2wHQ[/ame]

I know I a bit late, but finally saw the reveal on SS. The statue looks great. Still debating...
Wished the exclusive included an alt. head. Hopefully, they will add the star on his back.

There is no need to debate excellence. Cap is amazing. This Cap will rule all other caps for eternity!

Nope, you're not alone. The neck is awkward. Fortunately from most angles it isn't too noticeable, but it is definitely off.

n1ec91.jpg

the image on the right is much closer to a natural orientation of the neck/head given the body action. It's not just that the neck is elongated, it almost seems like it would have to be broken to have the head titled at that angle given the inclination of the upper trunk. Out of all the pics I've seen, this is probably the angle from which the effect is most noticeable.

I think SS banks on the fact that most collectors aren't artists themselves, and have mostly been exposed to art that , over the last couple of decades, had its popularity based more on stylistic flash than sound draftsmanship. Just like a poor illustrator can use hundreds of hatch lines and in doing so impress non-artists with 'all that artistic detail', SS can consistently get away with anatomical ineptness and foolish body attitude, because the majority of the collectors looking at it are more immediately dazzled by scads of tertiary (surface) detail. Usually that surface detail is well done, just as it is here. But that's never an excuse for poor primary form.

Not a deal killer here for me. I'll likely PO it at some point- but this is a weak aspect to it that could have/should have been addressed early in the process. Just like the biceps on the Wolverine LSF or the extended arm on Red Sonja. These changes wouldn't have made anyone that loves the pieces as is, love them any less- but they would have been a lot sounder and smarter for the people that can appreciate the difference between areas that are anatomically stronger vs weaker.

Last edited:
Nope, you're not alone. The neck is awkward. Fortunately from most angles it isn't too noticeable, but it is definitely off.

the image on the right is much closer to a natural orientation of the neck/head given the body action. It's not just that the neck is elongated, it almost seems like it would have to be broken to have the head titled at that angle given the inclination of the upper trunk. Out of all the pics I've seen, this is probably the angle from which the effect is most noticeable.

I think SS banks on the fact that most collectors aren't artists themselves, and have mostly been exposed to art that , over the last couple of decades, had its popularity based more on stylistic flash than sound draftsmanship. Just like a poor illustrator can use hundreds of hatch lines and in doing so impress non-artists with 'all that artistic detail', SS can consistently get away with anatomical ineptness and foolish body attitude, because the majority of the collectors looking at it are more immediately dazzled by scads of tertiary (surface) detail. Usually that surface detail is well done, just as it is here. But that's never an excuse for poor primary form.

Not a deal killer here for me. I'll likely PO it at some point- but this is a weak aspect to it that could have/should have been addressed early in the process. Just like the biceps on the Wolverine LSF or the extended arm on Red Sonja. These changes wouldn't have made anyone that loves the pieces as is, love them any less- but they would have been a lot sounder and smarter for the people that can appreciate the difference between areas that are anatomically stronger vs weaker.

This is the longest explanation of an awkward neck I have ever come across. It hurt to read....

Ordered. Whatever....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Color me blind but I don't see anything wrong with Cap's neck. :huh

Yeah I'm thinking it looks just fine

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d7IJv9AE20"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d7IJv9AE20[/ame]

This is the longest explanation of an awkward neck I have ever come across. It hurt to read....

Yeah I'm thinking it looks just fine

Apologies. I do have a bad tendency to get pendantic when trying to explain a visual concept.

So if the statue as is looks just fine, then the photoshopped version on the right must look completely wrong to you?

Back