Buttmunch's Beautiful Bumbling Blunders of Boredom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't wait to see the stop motion work!

I actually want to get into stop motion animation myself as a way to further have fun with figures, but I don't have a video camera or computer right now.

I've read there are some pretty easy to use computer softwares these days.

I actually want to get into stop motion animation myself as a way to further have fun with figures, but I don't have a video camera or computer right now.

Yeah, the one we used at school was great. Best of all, it is only like $40. I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but I could look it up on Monday if you'd like.

for OS X there's a program called "iStopMotion" that I have heard is great.

Well it looks like the pants are coming out perfect. I'm starting to think the green dye was just too dark to begin with.

So the great news is Giles is a fairly cheap base figure to get 70% or more of the materials for a Dark Knight Joker!

I never thought about using Giles before (other than professor Indy). I was thinking of using the 13" DCD, but it sounds like those might be too big.

What are your plans for a coat?

When you say the green was too dark to begin with, did you mix it too dark? I know nothing about dyes and am wondering if what you buy is what you get, or if you can mix different shades...

Also, did you use color remover on the clothing before you dyed?

Can't wait to see pics! :rock

For the coat? I'm not entirely sure at the moment now.

The green dye I used was called "Dark Green." :lol It might as well have said black with a hint of green to it. Certainly the more dye you use, the darker it will be. Also the less the water, and the more dye, will make it darker.

I didn't use the color remover on the vest first, but the vest is currently soaking in it. (and does it smell! It smells like someone is getting a Perm) The pants are looking perfect though. The jacket is a bit too dark blue, but it would be a perfect color for a blue suit (and I literally only had this jacket in the dye for a mintue or less!). I'm not sure if I will try the color remover on that to get it lighter. I'm going to wait for it to finish drying first.

Once everything is dry, I'll post pics of what everything looks like. But so far, I still am convinced Giles is the best base figure for this custom.

Just got the vest out of the color remover. It didn't lighten it as far as I can tell, but it completely removed the "green" dye, so now it looks like what it did before I started dying it. Now I'm off to find some real "green" dye. :lol

I'm sure some of you are anxiously waiting to see how Giles suit dyes. Well, it dyes great aside from the white thread that boarders the suit, but that is a very minor quibble.

So, here is the pants dyed purple, and the jacket dyed "evening" blue. I know what you are thinking, "But Buttmunch, the Joker has a purple jacket, NOT blue." Ah, but that is where you are mistaken. If you look closely, you notice the Joker is not only wearing a purple overcoat, but a light blue "blazer" as the DCD figure calls it. It is slightly lighter than what I have here (it is actully the exact color on the box though). So without the entire outfit, it does look odd.

The vest has been color removed, back to its original appearence until I can find some lighter green dye.

With flash:
dsc00119xd0.jpg

Without flash:
dsc00120gc7.jpg

Wow, that purple really took to the costume well :rock I'm thinking of clothes for a figure I'm working on and I think I'll be using a Giles suit :rock

G-boy, Giles suit is definately the way to go if you need a suit dyed to a certain color. It dyes very, very well! :rock Just remember the colors will be DARK with it, and I only put the vest and jacket in for LITERALLY a minute or less. I let the pants soak for 1/2 hour just to make sure they were nice and dark purple. But Giles is a great suit. I want more now! :eek:

I got the vest green now! I used a color called "Kelly Green" which is a light-looking green on the package, but the vest is coming out much darker, much like the Joker's vest color :D Pics when dried.

Cap'n, what did you have in mind? I've been dying (not to be confused with dying) to make a forest set up since I got my Endor Rebels, but never got around to it.

Cap'n, what did you have in mind? I've been dying (not to be confused with dying) to make a forest set up since I got my Endor Rebels, but never got around to it.

Just that, maybe a tree or two to stand behind the LOTR boys, even some of those mini-plants you get at Michael's. I'm still not sure. If you're ever down in Provo though dude, look me up. If anything, it'll give you an excuse to check out my prize Faramir and meet a fellow freak. :cool:

I already got two trees and those little plants. I was planning do it, but just never got around to it. Maybe when the semester ends, I can catch up on it. The hardest thing would be getting something for the ground.

Are you going to SDCC this year Cap? I am, and my Dad and I plan on going ot the Freaks party this year, so if you go, there will be at least two other people besides you that won't be drunk :lol

Alright, here is the Joker after all of today's dying.

dsc00121hv3.jpg

The second dying of the vest is 100 times better than the first. I wish the blue jacket was a little lighter, but I can live with it. Now all the pants need are Pin-stripes :eek:

Thanks for the encouragement :lol

I assume the only way to get them to actually show up would be fabric paint? They are so faint anyway, maybe I'll just skip it.

I already got two trees and those little plants. I was planning do it, but just never got around to it. Maybe when the semester ends, I can catch up on it. The hardest thing would be getting something for the ground.

Are you going to SDCC this year Cap? I am, and my Dad and I plan on going ot the Freaks party this year, so if you go, there will be at least two other people besides you that won't be drunk :lol

Serious? That would be fantastic, I've been wondering about how I was gonna pull that off, but with two other members there, maybe I can work it out! We've gotta get in contact and make this work; that might totally help me to get both to the con and the party. I only live about 40 minutes away, but I don't leave for California until June. Let's make something work dude!

I used the liquid Rit Purple for the pants. The Rit Powder "Kelly Green" for the vest and the Rit Powder "Evening Blue" for the jacket. The jacket and vest were in the dye for (literally) a minute or less, so the stuff works quick!

And Cap, yes lets definately work something out for you. I don't want you to miss the con (or the party). My biggest fear with the party was probably being the only non-drinker there too, but since my Dad will be there too, that helps. Always safety in numbers :rock

I just remembered what it is we used. BTVPro. Our professor said is extremely cheap, only like $40. It is great. I think any video camera plugged into a computer should work. The computer captures the individual frames when you click the right button. Very easy to use as well. I may try and hunt one one myself.

EDIT: I just looked it up and it looks like it is only available for Macs. :(

Last edited:
Back