Burton + Depp = Dark Shadows

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never saw the original show but this movie was boring. A few funny bits here and there but it was sooo bland. I hope it bombs.

Saw this today. I think seeing the Avengers a 4th time would have been a better choice. Who would have thought Depp, Burton, and Vampires could have sucked so much. It was just blah all the way through. The trailer is actually better than the film. The only part I actually like was the part with the Cooper woman :lol

No, I heard it was bad before going to see it, so I wasn't expecting much. The story was just really dull and it just didn't work. Had the film been what the trailer made it to look like, it would have been great.

Thats sucky, I was really hoping this would be funny. :(
I knew fanatics wouldn't like it, but to hear people that weren't expecting much not liking it is kind of a bummer, guess I'll wait this out on BluRay.

Went to see it at the theatre last night. First time in 4 months that I got my money's worth :yess:

So, with this and the Avengers playing you chose to see this instead? And it was good?

I just checked Yahoo movies and with 417 reviews it got 4 out of 5 stars.

Hmmm, I think I'll go with the crowd's reaction here rather than randoms, better the devil you know and all...:balrog

I had very low expectations going in, although I'm very forgiving of Burton. The visuals are sometimes striking in a Haunted Mansion kind of way.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Depp is brilliant as Barnabas - it's amazing that I never see "Johnny Depp" but always the character - he inhabits it so well it's not like watching a Movie Star.

But if you don't have a star that can create his own character Burton isn't the best director for actors. The rest are kind of left floundering to find their characters. Chloe Moretz, who we know is a wonderful actor, is very one note in her performance - however that's how the character is written.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Helena is fantastic - it's fun hearing her do a hard American accent - I don't recall her doing that before.

Pfeiffer is also decent - but doesn't have a lot to do.

I've never been impressed with Eva Green as an actor, but she makes up for it with other...assets. But she's a pretty one note villain here.
Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm sure there are a lot of easter eggs for fans of the series, but that didn't make it more entertaining for me. I can't imagine there's anything here that would be offensive to fans of the series either.

It's very similar to Beetlejuice in that the characters are lovable, and there's a lot of humor. However Barnabas isn't wacky like BJ so the film can't be forgiven for being a bit boring at times.

If you're a diehard fan of the series or just love seeing Burton/Depp team up or just love cool art direction or love 70s music - I'd recommend it.

So, with this and the Avengers playing you chose to see this instead? And it was good?

Um, yeah! The only Marvel character that I get is Iron Man and I did watch the original series as a late teen so I really wanted to see Burton's take on it. I find he did a better job with this than when he did Batman

I wanted so very much to like this film. Despite the fact that Depp (as always) was more than watchable and I've liked Eva Green ever since the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven, the jumps and disconnects in plotlines/subplots were too distracting for me. Ah well.

Seems too much a mixed bag, I'll probably just wait for Blu Ray, I'd really like to see Burton return to original material rather than remakes. Maybe give Depp a chance to be an original undead creation they concoct. probably would still get quite the buzz without so much of the criticism. :dunno

I don't know if Burton will ever do anything again that tops Beetlejuice. I think that's my favorite movie he's done.

I enjoyed this in spite of its many, many, many flaws. Namely its script and its seemingly utter indifference toward character development and the threading of plot lines and narrative.

What I did enjoy were the usual Burton aesthetics (filmed gorgeously) Depp and Green's performance and the 70s infused setting and sounds. It's a shame the script wasn't stronger and it didn't all build to something much more... Burton himself has said he wouldn't know a good script if it hit him in the face... and sadly... it shows. I just wish the people around him paid more attention, as its evident that given the material, he could make a great film again.

If you enjoy Burton, I'd say see it.

I saw this the other night. Being a fan of the original series and the 90's series I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. The film has some issues with characterization and the plot is all over the place.... but in spite of all that I actually dug it.

My friend at work who is a die hard Depp fan said the movie wasn't bad for the first hour but died off after that.

Back