Building/3D printing a figure, and finding out how as i go along :)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx and yes apart from eager to give 3D printing a go i wanted a figure next to Jake's figure aswell :)

Below is is the model of the figure as how it was send out to get printed.
So the figure's look should be based on this. It will take some time tho because to prevent damage i wont assemble the printed parts (start molding instead). Reason is some parts dont disassemble very well :)

figure_final_3d_version_to_print_by_fierox-d6xibbz.jpg

full_figure_last_version___by_fierox-d6xibyj.jpg

This is very ambitious and impressive. Please keep us posted as I have been thinking about doing something very similar.

Well the rest of the printed parts just arrived and i'm really happy with the result.
The level of detail on the standard material is actually a little higher (and smoother aswell) then on the last time.

The faces are printed in a higher detail.
The material is translucent so its very hard to see in the pictures below, they really dont show it.
But all the lines, wrinkles in the face and ears are still there. Same for all of the teeth.
Especially on the angry face with the open mouth and all the wrinkles, it looks great!
Testfitted a face to the back of the head. The fit seems firm and the glass eyes really look nice.
Face isnt really pressed into the socket yet so there's a small gap. Just dont want to take any chances.
Have to make molds first before i try anything :)

all the printed parts, hair and eyes:
WP_20131212_003.jpg

Neutral face:
WP_20131212_006.jpg

Happy face:
WP_20131212_007.jpg

Angry face:
WP_20131212_008.jpg

Head assembled with glass eyes:
WP_20131212_010.jpg

WP_20131212_011.jpg

Ill start with molding this weekend, exciting!

Wow, that is simple amazing! Really great job!!! And will you cast it with blue resin? Will save tearing paint from joints. But really amazing job! You are really fantastic!

i want this!!!!..you my friend have done this custom character justice!!!!

do cast it in blue tho....baby blue or something along those lines...:)

Wow, that is simple amazing! Really great job!!! And will you cast it with blue resin? Will save tearing paint from joints. But really amazing job! You are really fantastic!

Blue resin is a good idea, didnt thought about that yet.
I'm not there yet tho, sofar i'm really struggling with the silicone.
Made a nice setup with tubes for airholes and stuff but after i pored the silicone in the whole stuff floated to the top. Haha, didnt see that happen in the tutorials i watched!
These 3D printed parts are hollow so well, buoyancy sucks! Damn you Archimedes! :D

Was able to quickly poor most of the silicone i had prepped over in two other parts. Hopefully those do work out.

Sillicone 1, me 0 :( To be continued..

Last edited:
Blue resin is a good idea, didnt thought about that yet.
I'm not there yet tho, sofar i'm really struggling with the silicone.
Made a nice setup with tubes for airholes and stuff but after i pored the silicone in the whole stuff floated to the top. Haha, didnt see that happen in the tutorials i watched!
These 3D printed parts are hollow so well, buoyancy sucks! Damn you Archimedes! :D

Was able to quickly poor most of the silicone i had prepped over in two other parts. Hopefully those do work out.

Sillicone 1, me 0 :( To be continued..

If you're needing professional results, sometimes it's better to get someone with a lot of experience to do the work.
I can recommend a professional caster i have worked with in the past if you need one.
Also, he might be able to just help you out with advice.

If you're needing professional results, sometimes it's better to get someone with a lot of experience to do the work.
I can recommend a professional caster i have worked with in the past if you need one.
Also, he might be able to just help you out with advice.

Thanks for that. Cost might be too high but i'm interested to see if something is possible..

Thanks for that. Cost might be too high but i'm interested to see if something is possible..

With the quality of your work and this build I'm sure you'd be able to sell enough at a price to recoup your costs, simply epic, please teach me zbrush

With the quality of your work and this build I'm sure you'd be able to sell enough at a price to recoup your costs, simply epic, please teach me zbrush

Yeah, with some good caster he can make so many figures, that he really don't need worry about return of investment. And mainly there is so many small pieces, mainly joints, so that must be hell to cast :monkey1

Question? Could you not do this in reverse so you are printing a solid mold, if that make sense? So instead of printing the figure your doing blocks with the inverse ? Not expecting to do that just wondering if that's feasible

Question? Could you not do this in reverse so you are printing a solid mold, if that make sense? So instead of printing the figure your doing blocks with the inverse ? Not expecting to do that just wondering if that's feasible

That would only work if you planned on casting it in a soft medium. If you poured resin in there, it would lock up and you'd lose your "moulds". They need to be made from something with a bit of give to get the parts out.

That would only work if you planned on casting it in a soft medium. If you poured resin in there, it would lock up and you'd lose your "moulds". They need to be made from something with a bit of give to get the parts out.

And there is no way to print it with rubber? Or he can make 2-part mold, if he use it on right parts, which doesn't need flexible mold.

shocktrooper_au said:
I get you, interesting though if you where making her a skin over a skeletal body I guess...Man I love this project
Yeah, that will be cool, but doesn't look right next to Jack, who doesn't have skin.

I get you, interesting though if you where making her a skin over a skeletal body I guess...Man I love this project

I never thought of that.
If you were going to do that, you *could* make an fully jointed stop motion skeleton and then a two piece mould over it, injecting sillicone into the gaps. But that would be a severely difficult custom job.

And there is no way to print it with rubber? Or he can make 2-part mold, if he use it on right parts, which doesn't need flexible mold.

I am not aware of a 3d print rubber material.
As far as i know, the current build method shown in this thread(A solid set of master patterns, moulded in sillicone, then cast in resin), would be the only way to go.

Back