Bring it on: DEAD MAN'S CHEST!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a time for drama (your Brokeback Mountains) and a time for fun (Pirates.) There certainly are some critics out there look into Pirates for the enjoyment of it. Sadly, it seems as if they are the critics that "apparalently" don't mean much these days. I lost my faith in critics a long time ago. I rarely watch many dramatic movies these days. Heck, the last two movies I watched before Dead Man's Chest were Krull and Willow. I look for the fun in those movies.

My #1 rule when watching a movie: A movie can be bad, but still be fun.

Well, trying to buy tickets today was insane. POTC is selling out everywhere. For you Cali's, I have to go to Woodland Hills from Santa Monica just to see a 9:30 show.

Who-Ha! Pirates is gonna have a BIG weekend!

I'm standing (sitting acutally in a portable chair) in line for the show now with my laptop! Can't wait! Only an hour and a half or so left!

Wor-Gar said:
Well, trying to buy tickets today was insane. POTC is selling out everywhere. For you Cali's, I have to go to Woodland Hills from Santa Monica just to see a 9:30 show.

Who-Ha! Pirates is gonna have a BIG weekend!

Woodland Hills? That's Dusty/SSC territory! :D Have a blast matey!

Wor-Gar said:
I'll keep an eye out for Dusty. If I see her, I'll try and shake her down for some SDCC secrets :D

Ah, close, but not quite - I will be seeing it again tonight at 10:30 at a theater in Thousand Oaks with the 'Show crew :duff

SO, now that we're on the subject of Pirates of the Caribbean, just think of the possobilities if Sideshow got their magical hands on this license. I have no idea if Disney would be out to merchandise on the license, but seeing how they are letting THREE different companies make action figures for the movies, I'm sure it can be Sideshows.

Think of the awesome premium formats you can get. In Jacks case, you would give him one of his commanding looks, with all the crap he needs like his compass, and sword, and don't forget his hat. The costume itself would be totally awesome.

Now, think of Barbossa. For him they could do something like showing him part skeleton-like. Half human, and half skeleton. The scene that comes to mind for me is when he said that "Ya best start believin' in ghost stories, Miss Turner." He has his outstretched bony hand, clothes coming unwravelled, and his face melts away. THAT'S a dream come true. I'd much prefer if like had his face was skeleton, and half normal, but that's just me. I'd certainly settle with a 100% normal looking Barbossa, but not thrilled at all by a fully skeleton form of him. Just me.

My most wanted though, as you probably already know, would be Davy Jones. The look of him is like nothing else I've ever seen. I know Sideshow could give him this slimey look to him if they wanted to. The costume on him would be crazy cool since there are all of this crustacean things growing all over him. I know Sideshow could pull off something awesome with him. Hey, the guy's got a crab claw for an arm. You know you want it.

If Sideshow hasn't considered this yet, they should do so now. I'm sure if they were to EVER do something Pirates, they'd surely be doing it by now to capitalize on the movie. Hey, it's business, I don't mind. SDCC? Eh? Eh? Small chance, but I can hope. From this point forth, POTC is now my dream line.

I saw it and it was great! I won't say anything more before we get a spoiler thread because the film is so good and there is lots to spoil.

Sideshow needs to rock SDCC with an annoucement saying they've got this line. All three movies please and 1/6 and PF Figures. The Skeleton and Jones Pirates would be a bit tuff in 1/6 but not undoable for Sideshow. At least make a 12" Jack!

Well, I am getting in the car and heading off to see this. I have avoided all spoilers and reviews so I am looking forward to whatever surprises it has in store...

Just watched the original in preparation of the sequel tomorrow. I must be dense because I finally figured out something that has always bothered me.

SPOILERS FOR PotC 1 (if you're reading this thread and haven't seen the first - get thee to Blockbuster!)

It always bugged me that Jack showed no evidence of being cursed until the end of the movie. He ate, drank and appeared normal in moonlight. It was only AFTER he palmed the coin from the chest that he became cursed. That's why he cut himself and blooded the coin to toss it to Will. He ended the mini-curse on himself at the same time Will ended the big curse. So after the credits the monkey curses himself by lifting a coin rather than reinstating the whole curse.

This had really bothered me and I'm so glad I finally realized it. Also this viewing impressed on me how great the character development in this movie truly is. Even tertiary characters like Commodore Norrington and the Governor have consistent character development along with the 3 main characters.

I do believe PotC 1 will live on in film history as a great adventure/fantasy movie. I hope the franchise can ive up to it.

Just got back from seeing Dead Man's Chest, and I enjoyed it. There was a lot of fun stuff, and I liked how some of the characters were developed from the first film, and how they handled an apparent plot hole that had always bugged me from "Curse of the Black Pearl." I think that this movie has just the right tone to get away with certain gags and lines, while overall having a darker/edgier/more violent feel than the first. Johnny Depp slipped right back into character for this film and if you enjoyed his performance in the first one you will be just as happy watching him prance around in this one.

As a middle chapter in a trilogy, I had a similar feeling leaving the theater as when I saw Matrix Reloaded. It doesn't stand on its own so much as leave you with the feeling that you just saw half a movie and now you want to see the rest of it. And I don't mean that to sound critical--I really liked how there was absolutely no resolution of plot points whatsoever. It feels like a big intermission before the whole thing gets resolved next summer. But some people tonight felt that the end was abrupt and jarring. The movie literally ends smack in the middle of the plot and we all have to wait until next year to see what happens next. Personally, I think that's part of the fun.

After seeing the trailers, my main concern was that there would be too much CGI. Well, there was and there wasn't. I have to say that the effects on the villains were well done. Some of the cursed pirates were obviously CGI, but in many cases I didn't know where the makeup appliances ended and the computer work began. While the makeup effects were done very well, I just think that the villains, particularly Davey Jones as the central baddie, didn't work as well as in the first film. In the first one, CGI effects were used in certain "moonlight" shots, but most of the time you were looking at real actors. This time, Davey's appearance was realized through CGI in every single shot, and (while cool-looking) that can't compare with a real actor--particularly with an actor as charismatic as Geoffrey Rush. The character itself was also a bit more of a flat out villain and didn't have a certain level of audience sympathy and enjoyment and humor like Barbossa did in the first movie.

While I enjoyed it a lot, the last five seconds of the movie made me realize what it had been missing, and got me completely excited to see the third one. That one is going to be awesome and resolve everything in a very entertaining way. I can't wait. While this one doesn't quite stand on its own, it is a great "Act I" of the five hour, two-act Pirates sequel. Seen together, 2 and 3 are going to be one big entertaining story.

Yeah Tom, those were my exact feelings!! I loved the movie, and they carried on the plot from the first while also reintroducing Jack in yet another hilarious way. But it did feel as though it was half a movie, and that's the way it's supposed to be. Davy Jones was very well done, and the animation was spot on perfect, but I would have loved to see a little more done with his character. They did in one scene, and you could see that somewhere deep inside him was a dark sad place where he mourned his lost love... Great scene.

Either way, this movie was an excellent continuation of the Pirates story and I loved every minute of it. The Cannibals were hilarious and all of the madness that went on during their stay at that island had me in stitches. Jones and his crew were awesome and the designs for some of them will probably never be forgotten in cinema history. Again, Jack carries the story, but they gave us so much more with Will, Norrington and Elizabeth. And that last development at the end of the film is gonna make Pirates 3 that much more exciting!!

This is the Empire Strikes Back of the Pirates films and it does it's job well. I'm super excited to see the next one and I recommend this movie to any fan of adventure films. Every last freak should see it!! :D

DarkArtist81 said:
Yeah Tom, those were my exact feelings!! I loved the movie, and they carried on the plot from the first while also reintroducing Jack in yet another hilarious way. But it did feel as though it was half a movie, and that's the way it's supposed to be. Davy Jones was very well done, and the animation was spot on perfect, but I would have loved to see a little more done with his character. They did in one scene, and you could see that somewhere deep inside him was a dark sad place where he mourned his lost love... Great scene.

Either way, this movie was an excellent continuation of the Pirates story and I loved every minute of it. The Cannibals were hilarious and all of the madness that went on during their stay at that island had me in stitches. Jones and his crew were awesome and the designs for some of them will probably never be forgotten in cinema history. Again, Jack carries the story, but they gave us so much more with Will, Norrington and Elizabeth. And that last development at the end of the film is gonna make Pirates 3 that much more exciting!!

This is the Empire Strikes Back of the Pirates films and it does it's job well. I'm super excited to see the next one and I recommend this movie to any fan of adventure films. Every last freak should see it!! :D

I really agree with the Empire Strikes Back feel. This one has a bit more cliff hanger than Empire though.

Buttmunch said:
I really agree with the Empire Strikes Back feel. This one has a bit more cliff hanger than Empire though.

yeah, true... This one REALLY leaves you hanging!! I mean, I seriously could have sat there for another 2 hours to see the rest!! :lol

BEYOND HERE THAR BE SPOILERS!!!

I really hated the ending in the middle of it. Very frustrating, although seeing Barbossa was a complete surprise for me. I agree with Dusty about the dice game - also very frustrating. Jones was great. If I hadn't known that his face was CG I would have assumed it was animatronic and make-up, best CG we've seen in a long time. I think his henchman were way overdone for the most part though. Jones, the hammerhead and the conch head I think were the best - the rest it was hard to tell what was going on with them. They looked just like lumpy pirates.

The three way fight on the island was hilarious and really the only time that had me grinning for its entirety. I remember at least 3 ocaissions that happened in the first one.

Loved the call backs to the first film - I was the only one laughing though - maybe cause I just watched the first one last night. "Hello Elizabeth. (turns and whispers) Hide the rum."

I really like bringing back Norrington. I liked him in the first movie and it seems he'll have an even larger part in the 3rd.

I liked the movie a lot but these things bothered me:
I didn't feel that Jack had as much to do in this one and he wasn't as funny. I think Depp fell into just being wacky a couple of times that wasn't completely true to the character. I HATED the love triangle. Sure it gives a great dynamic to the Will/Elizabeth relationship, but it just isn't believeable.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I just remembered the earlier scene in Tia Dalma's hut when the camera pans to the monkey in a side room looking extremely interested in the boots of a certain corpse laid out on a table. At the time, I thought, "Ewww gross, she has a body back there." Now I'm thinking: "Aha!" Looks like she got hold of Barbossa's body and brought him back from the dead via voodoo and whatnot. So he is not still "alive" in undead form from the curse in film one as some have suspected.

You make an interesting point Tom! I didn't even think about it until you told me.... I have to see it again to see if I can pick up any stuff that I missed...:google

Back