Bring it on: DEAD MAN'S CHEST!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man that Transformers trailer was lame. PotC 2 will most likely be the biggest film of the year. However Titanic had legs like no other movie in the blockbuster age. It was in the top ten for a few months. Most films drop 50% the 2nd weekend, but I don't see that happening with PotC2. There aren't a lot of challengers out there like PotC was for Superman.

I don't think Cap'n Jack has much to fear from Little Man or You, Me & Dupree.

if I remember right titanic wasn't just in the top ten for a couple months, it was the top film for a couple of months.

just for the heck of it I went and checked imdb. Titanic was the number one film for 15 weeks. I don't think any movie is going to touch that record for a long time, if ever.

SPOILERS BELOW!

Saw it last night. Verdict: As good as the original, loved the film.

It wasn't 100% perfect, but certainly was 99% perfect for me.
And that is only on my first viewing - I'll see it 2-3 more times, and
my opinion may change on it - for the better.

Jack's entrance into the film. Laughed my butt off!
CGI on all the pirates. Amazing! Looked totally photorealistic.
CGI on the Kraken! Wow! Made the Watcher in the Water look like a sea monkey.
Cliffhanger ending - will be neat to see how it all plays out.
Entrance of the character in the last scene of the film. #3 is gonna be fantastic.

Dislikes:
Seemed kind of "forced" at some points, but I just can't put my finger on it.
Lack of a STRONG villain. Geoffrey Rush was better playing/acting off of
Johnny Depp. Davey Jones hardly had any interaction with him, and as a
result, the main hero/villain dynamic didn't feel nearly as strong to me.
Having to wait a damned year to see how all this plays out! I wants it NOW!
Scene after the credits - wasted my time waiting for THAT!?

Final Verdict: Well worth seeing multiple times on the big screen, and I can't
wait to see the 3rd installment of the trilogy (or more if you believe the rumors)

For contrast:
I saw Superman the night before, and I liked it, but I wouldn't see it again
in the theater. I'd rent it happily, but that is it. Brandon did a GREAT job
as Superman, and I thought Kevin Spacey also did a GREAT job as Lex, BUT
the story was not fast moving, and seemed a bit long for me. I did like the
land scheme Lex was working on/creating, but Superman needs to now go
up against a SUPER villain. Bizarro. Brainiac. Doomsday. Someone or
something with superpowers. so he could have a nemesis to have a knock
down drag out brawl with. If they do that, I'll be ready to pay to see it.

Parting shot:
Think of this o' geeky brethren:

Spidey 3
PotC 3
Transformers
Ghost Rider
Iron Man
Fantastic Four And The Silver Surfer
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (threw in just for kicks)
The Bourne Ultimatum
Ratatouille
Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix
Underdog (who knows - could be good?)
30 Days Of Night
His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass
The Spiderwick Chronicles
The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Soul Caliber
Sin City 2
Resident Evil: Extinction

All in the same year!
It is gonna be an awesome year to look forward too!
(Now get us some statues and busts Sideshow!)

JS :chew

Titanic made so damn much money for 2 reasons...

1. All those damn romantic loving teenage girls went to see the movie over, and over, and over

2. Those damn horny teenage boys got to see some boobies in a PG-13 movie!

How the bloody hell did they get away with a PG-13 anyway? It had nuidity (though not in a sexual situation I guess) a F-Bomb, couple S-Bombs, a fair deal of violence, horrifying siuations, and LOADS upon loads of dead bodies floating in the water? That movie does not deserve to be #1, and sadly, it's gonna take TOO much money to knock it of its super high pedestal.

Bannister said:
just for the heck of it I went and checked imdb. Titanic was the number one film for 15 weeks. I don't think any movie is going to touch that record for a long time, if ever.

Want to make a bet?

snakes0lv.jpg

I ended up calling the theater wednesday night and wrangling an answer out of a man over the phone that it was thursday, even though the time on the ticket clearly indicated that night. I said I was told very clearly to come wednesday and that's what I believed for two weeks and planned my schedule around and that I didn't appreciate false information. Any employee should've been able to answer my question correctly and inform me that, despite what the ticket said, the show was considered thursday evening.

I've seen the movie twice now. Once at the midnight, the other saturday afternoon....wanted to go back friday but most of the theaters were selling out quickly.

We had a full house at the midnight show. I must have seen fifty or more people wearing Pirates shirts. A girl that sat next to us wore the same shirt design as mine except mine was Jack and hers was Will. Some people were wearing pirate costumes. The audience was insanely enthusiastic. When the logo came up, people cheered. With Jack's entrance, people went nuts. People laughed and gasped and went wild at the very end of the movie.

I actually came out of theater with somewhat of a mixed reaction because my first thoughts on it were how incredibly fast paced it was. I was eager to see it again because it was so hard to catch everything. I liked it the first time, and loved it the second because I was able to pick up on the little things and the movie didn't seem nearly as rushed. I'm going again on friday with two of my other friends. That will be my third time and their first, unless I get the insatiable urge to go again one night this week.

I'm confident at this point that the Pirates trilogy will become my favorite trilogy, passing both LOTR and the original SW.

Last edited:
The Chinese tabloid Beijing News reported Friday that the State Film Bureau, which oversees the content of all films shown on the mainland, has rejected Pirates on the grounds of supernatural content, including scenes in which souls of the dead are depicted, a character appears with an "octopus face," and a scene depicting cannibalism.

Darn that "octopus face"--ruins it for everybody in China!!!

And I don't remember any scene actually depicting cannibalism. Just a lot of hints and references...

Josette said:
...I'm confident at this point that the Pirates trilogy will become my favorite trilogy, passing both LOTR and the original SW.

That's a pretty bold statement Josette, but that's also totally cool! I don't think anything could top the original SW trilogy for me since I was a wide-eyed kid when that came out. So there will always be that nostalgia. Also, the LOTR trilogy was just so well done for the kid still lurking in the adult I am now. That said, I can see how kids now may end up loving the Pirates films the way I loved the original SW films. Depp has created such a brilliantly funny and memorable screen character.

Oh, and for the record, as much as I love the SW trilogy, when I saw Raiders Of The Lost Ark for the first time at the ripe old age of 8 in 1981, I had never seen anything more fun...and might back that up even to this day. If I had to choose just ONE action/adventure...fantasy, fun, thrill-ride of a movie, it would be Raiders. That one will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart!

Sideshow, PLEASE, PLEASE make ROTLA Indy 12" and PF!!!

Indy!!! Indy!!! Indy!!!

whip.gif
whip.gif
whip.gif
whip.gif
whip.gif
whip.gif
whip.gif
whip.gif
whip.gif
whip.gif

tomandshell said:
Darn that "octopus face"--ruins it for everybody in China!!!

And I don't remember any scene actually depicting cannibalism. Just a lot of hints and references...

Supernatural Content? Has anyone in China seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Hero, etc. ? I personally have'nt seen any flying people so I'd say that is pretty supernatural. I wonder if this will effect any filming for the third one. Aren't they supposed to go to China or Singapore in the next one?

Josette said:
I'm confident at this point that the Pirates trilogy will become my favorite trilogy, passing both LOTR and the original SW.

:rolleyes:

Wait 'till you see how they get Jack back... It's pretty dumb. Other than that, I like what I'm hearing about the last film.

skypotc3sign.jpg

Josette said:

POTC is this generation's Indiana Jones trilogy. I give it that. They are fun action/adventure popcorn films.

LOTR and SW are closer to my heart due to their depth.

I didn't become a SW fan until I was thirteen....when it comes to choosing between SW and LOTR, I have a really hard time. The sentimental part of me wants to say SW because a lot of my happy memories have SW involved in them, but LOTR really set the bar for excellent fantasy film making on almost all levels: story wise, character wise, writing wise... I like them both a whole, whole lot. Admittedly, I've become disenchanted with SW because I don't like the prequels. At all.

POTC....I'm not sure if I can explain exactly why I love it so much more than the others.... I think on one level, it's comparable to the original SW for me because I love so many of the characters, just like I did with SW. LOTR had great characters but for some reason I didn't get attached to them. I cared about them while I watched the films but they didn't linger the way the POTC & original SW characters did. And frankly I had a hunger for new, fantastic adventures movies that LOTR didn't didn't completely sate, and the prequels almost made me lose my appetite. Pirates of the Caribbean was like a refreshing glass of water (or rum, if you prefer ;) ) on a hot summer day.

Collector Freak said:
:rolleyes:

Wait 'till you see how they get Jack back... It's pretty dumb. Other than that, I like what I'm hearing about the last film.

skypotc3sign.jpg

Wait... you know how they bring Jack back? Why don't I believe that? When you say that, I hope your not looking at that picture, which is fake. Convincing at first, but fake.

Back