Bring it on: DEAD MAN'S CHEST!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SPOILERS!!!!

I didn't notice that body, but Jack the Monkey did seem fine staying at her shack and not running off with Jack and crew again. I belive Jack swipes some sort of necklace from her shack and a ring. In the Visual Guide book for Pirates of the Caribbean, it says it is a magic necklace. Could this be how they might get Jack back? It will be very interesting to see how Barbossa came back. I'm just glad he finally got his apple. I always felt bad that he never got one in the first film.

Saw it last night. IMO the best movie of the summer with Superman a close second. I loved everything about it and enjoyed the ride but now I can't wait till part 3 comes out.

Just got back. LOVED it to pieces. Great fun and had me laughing out loud more than once. Some very clever stuff. Balls-to-the-wall over-the-top fun and looked like the actors were having as much fun doing this I was watching.

I woke up this morning to find that it made $55.5 mil on opening day! Soundly beating the opening day record that ROTS had previously held, and well on it's way to beating Spider-Man's 3-day record of $114 mil! I'm very happy for POTC, Gore Verbinski, Johnny Depp, the screenwriters, and everyone involved with this franchise. Like the success of LOTR, it shows that, if more movie studios were willing to take chances (Depp's portrayal of Jack was a pretty big chance to take!), the better - and more creative - movies we would get!

SPOILERS!

Also, did anyone else notice in Tia Dalma's hut when Jack swiped the ring, it showed a close-up of a locket that was heart-shaped and looked very very similar to the music box that Davey Jones had. I noticed that on my second viewing because I really like that scene when Will is stealing the key and the music box puts Davey back to sleep. Is Tia Dalma Davey Jones' true love?? At the very least, I'm sure she knows who it is.

Also, on the second viewing, some of my favorite parts:

The wheel sequence. I just love how the people fighting stop to look at the wheel every time it roles by, and then continue on with what they were doing once it's past. A lot from that sequence, as well as the cannibal island sequence, reminds me of Indiana Jones, and not in a bad, "you so copied that!" way, but in a great, swashbuckling way! And watching the creative ways they passed the key from person to person was great fun!

"You WILL watch" - Davey Jones to Bootstrap Bill as he calls the Kraken to destroy the ship that Will is on. I love the relationship that has been established between Will and his father. Like, not so much love, since they hardly know each other, but familial responsibility. And Will saying that he won't abandon Bootstrap, even though Bootstrap abandoned him - unconditional acceptance and forgiveness that you can only find between family members.

Davey Jones' expression when he opens the chest to reveal that his heart is missing... best CGI since Gollum for sure! And I wonder, does he think Jack has his heart, in the belly of the Kraken? Perhaps Davey Jones will kill the Kraken to try to get his heart back - maybe that's how they bring Jack back? Man, I just don't know if I can wait a year to find out!!!

The cannibal island sequence was even more fun for me this time around. "Time to go." "You will always remember this as the day that you *SPLASH*... Captain Jack Sparrow!"

"Look!" *BANG* "An undead monkey!" :rotfl

I think that Orlando did a MUCH better job in this one than in the first. And I really can't wait to see where they take his character in the 3rd. And I liked his pirate-y costume a lot :monkey3

After the second viewing, I am sad that the Barbossa reveal will never have the same power as it did the first time :(

BUT, the dice sequence DID make more sense to me this time around. It turns out that the players DO peak at their dice before making their bets and calling others' bets - I just didn't notice it the first time because there was so much to watch. Much like poker, which is often a game of who lies the best. Except you have to show your hand at the end, and if it is discovered that you WERE lying, you lose. Or something like that :p I think there are rules online somewhere, and you can buy a version of the game - maybe that's why they made it so confusing, so that you'd go out and buy the game to find out the rules :lol

I will be seeing this again next Friday - I'm taking my mom for her birthday - she loved the first one so much, I'm sure she'll enjoy this one as well!

SideshowDusty said:
Also, did anyone else notice in Tia Dalma's hut when Jack swiped the ring, it showed a close-up of a locket that was heart-shaped and looked very very similar to the music box that Davey Jones had. I noticed that on my second viewing because I really like that scene when Will is stealing the key and the music box puts Davey back to sleep. Is Tia Dalma Davey Jones' true love?? At the very least, I'm sure she knows who it is.

Yeah I did. See my post at the top of this page. The visual guide is worth looking at.

SideshowDusty said:
I think there are rules online somewhere, and you can buy a version of the game - maybe that's why they made it so confusing, so that you'd go out and buy the game to find out the rules :lol

Dusty, you can get it at Target. With all of the POTC merchandise, they had a game set that included chess, checkers, and pirates dice "as seen in the movie." If I had bought that before going to the movies last night, I might not have been so confused...

I love that "Look BANG an Undead Monkey" too! The more I think about it the better it is. I loved the lines that almost poked fun at the original like Will and Elizabeth correcting Becket by saying "CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow" and "Why is the rum always gone" and finally the "This will be the day you will remember as you almost SPLASH... Captain Jack Sparrow." :rotfl

SideshowDusty said:

Brilliant deduction!

And running with the possibility that Dalma is Davy's lost love, here's my thought for the resolution....

Since Davy Jones needs a soul -- from Will or Jack -- perhaps Dalma will give her soul to Davy, her long lost love, so they can be together forever. That way, Jack's off the hook, Davy gets his soul, and he and Dalma can be reunited for eternity...everybody wins.

SideshowDusty said:

Brilliant deduction!

And running with the possibility that Dalma is Davy's lost love, here's my thought for the resolution....

Since Davy Jones needs a soul -- from Will or Jack -- perhaps Dalma will give her soul to Davy, her long lost love, so they can be together forever. That way, Jack's off the hook, Davy gets his soul, and he and Dalma can be reunited for eternity...everybody wins.

:D

Saw the movie about an hour ago, I was very dissapointed with the ending. While I thought it was a good movie the first was better.

The dice game can be played with dollar bill serial numbers as well, we players call it "bull****". You just have to keep going around in the circle besting eachothers prievous guess by either a higher number or the amount of a kind until someone thinks that there is no way that there could be that many between all the bills and calls bull****. If all the numbers are out there then he gets everyone's dollars if he is cought lying then he has to give that amount to every player.

The game is fun as hell, we always play it at the bar.

Jesse

Wor-Gar said:

She must be worth 99 souls (well... in case he still IS looking for those souls.)
EDIT: Wait, this doesn't matter anymore since I remember at the end of the movie when Jack was swallowed up, Jones said the score was settled.

I get the feeling we're gonna feel a LOT of sympathy for Jones in the next movie. First of all, he's likely to be under the rule of the EIT Co. now. They'll force him to do stuff he doesn't care to do. By then end of the movie, maybe dieing (if his true love makes him finally happy) will be a relief. And of course, it'd be Will who destroys the heart since he made that oath to free his father yadda yadda yadda. And geez, is Norrington now a certified POTC villain now? That was quite the rotten thing to do? Of course, he only wanted to regain his honor.

Yeah I think we will see a lot more of Jones in the next movie and it should make him a more tragic character by the end. The groundwork is certainly there.

Norrington's turn surprised me as well, and I'm sure he will be a villian right up until the end... Hell, he might just stay a villian... knowing what happened to him last time. He'll probably do anything to keep his reinstated commission, including killing Will, Elizabeth or Sparrow....

DarkArtist81 said:
This is the Empire Strikes Back of the Pirates films and it does it's job well. I'm super excited to see the next one and I recommend this movie to any fan of adventure films. Every last freak should see it!! :D

I wholeheartedly agree. This movie has everything and doesn't stop to tell you about the first movie and what is going on. Otherwise you will miss stuff like "Hello Puppet" and other nods to the first film. You have to figure it out and be a fan of the first flick. This movie does not talk down to the audience and for the first time I actually felt the cliffhanger was completely satisfying. Best movie so far of the summer and is the one to beat, and I don't mean numbers because that doesn't matter to me. Now where is my GG bust of Davey Jones?

SSC_Nerd said:
She must be worth 99 souls (well... in case he still IS looking for those souls.)
EDIT: Wait, this doesn't matter anymore since I remember at the end of the movie when Jack was swallowed up, Jones said the score was settled.

I get the feeling we're gonna feel a LOT of sympathy for Jones in the next movie. First of all, he's likely to be under the rule of the EIT Co. now. They'll force him to do stuff he doesn't care to do. By then end of the movie, maybe dieing (if his true love makes him finally happy) will be a relief. And of course, it'd be Will who destroys the heart since he made that oath to free his father yadda yadda yadda. And geez, is Norrington now a certified POTC villain now? That was quite the rotten thing to do? Of course, he only wanted to regain his honor.

I definitely agree that the EIT Co. will be the real bad guys of the series...and Barbossa and Jones will end up being sympathetic by the end. I mean, they're all pirates in the end...and pirates are cool.

That's why I think Dalma is Davy's lost love.

melvinpelayo said:
Seen DMC twice,,who is Tia Dalma?

Tia Dalma is the voodoo lady. She's a great character.

I am in total shock at how well this movie is playing in theaters, across the board. I mean I knew it would be huge, but this is INSANE. Estimated $132 mil in the first weekend :eek

And it may just beat that estimate, as I'm thinking the Sunday take will be larger than expected - just judging from the main theater in my area (Sherman Oaks Galleria) - ALL the shows are sold out for the entire day today. I'm really interested in seeing what the drop-off is for next weekend. Could this be the film that will dethrone Titanic?? It's all about long-term performance, and next weekend will tell the tale. It's entirely likely that there will be a HUGE drop-off, and if so, it won't beat the total record. But if it holds strong - at least $60-$70 mil next weekend - look out Titanic! Also, it looks like Superman Returns made a mistake by not beating POTC to a UK opening. Even with World Cup fever going strong, DMC will most likely set records over there.

The key is that it is attracting pretty much every demographic. From 10-year olds to 80-year olds, male and female, rich and poor. It boggles the mind that one film could appeal to SO many people... you can be sure that all the studio execs are paying very close attention, and this weekend will be studied closely for years to come. Although it is true that opening weekend numbers are not the be all, end all of box office, in today's film business, they are pretty important. Again, next weekend will tell the true tale - and I'm pretty sure that I won't be the only one seeing it again next weekend :D

Calling it the next Titanic may be a bit premature but this may easily be the number one movie of the year.

One thing is for sure: next summer will be interesting with Spidey 3 and Pirates 3 going head to head. Then you throw in the x-factor....TRANSFORMERS!!!

Back