Boxed or Unboxed: That is the Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you keep your figures boxed or unboxed?

• Total voters
Well like Nygma said, with smaller figures on a card, it makes sense to keep them MOC, especially if you have doubles.

But when it comes to high-end Sideshow and Hot Toys figures, opening them does not diminish their value. In fact if you have all the parts and packaging you can still sell the figure as 'mint in the box.' That's why these companies make 'collector friendly' packaging, meaning that other than maybe one tab, nothing about the packaging is damaged when the figure is removed.

I see no practical reason to keep 1/6 figures unopened forever.

I like to unbox my figures and re-pose them every now and then. However, I do see why you would want to keep those 6 inch figures in their boxes. The value if ever you want to resell them drops dramatically + keeping the packaging of those 6 inch figures is a huge pain. I personally open these up since I'm not really trying to turn a profit. The nice thing about 12" collectibles is that their value does not drop dramatically even if they are open. Hell, I see pieces of figures that sells for a lot of money still. For example, good luck trying to piece together a Hot Toys Blade nowadays. You'll end up spending close to the retail value of the actual figure when it was first released to the general public.

To me, if I wanted to keep the figures in their boxes I rather not purchase the figures and just browse online for nice pictures of said figures. At least then the figures are in different poses. Not much use of a highly articulated figure if it's stuck in a plastic prison doing one standard pose.

If you are talking about a vintage carded figure/blister pack, that's one thing. But I can't imagine anything from Sideshow being left in the box.

boxed...for now I keep all of my collectibles in the attic since I still live at home and dont have the space for the. Once I move out, I will gloriously display them! I cant wait!

Un-box, play, abuse, and then re-box and sell on Ebay as a 'new' item. :lol

I'm sure it's happened somewhere.

But seriously, I don't get the idea of keeping modern collectibles (other than strictly limited editions or variants) unopened, since modern collectibles are widely available and won't gain value. Case in point: modern Star Wars collectibles, versus the classic 12-backs.

I'm an opener, but if I don't have anywhere to display it safe, I just take a picture of it to review, and then I put it back in its packaging. It usually doesn't stay that way too long, though, since I would buy a display case at the least.

Easy question..

If you have space to display the figure, then, unboxed and free that little bastard!! (but keep the box in hand )

If you have'nt enough space.. then, keep the figure boxed and in mint condition, untill you have enough room.

I,m an opener, but now I,m keeping some figures boxed, beacuse I have'nt room for dsplay all my current figures :gah:

I unbox and display immediately usually in glass cases,but as I do not have the space at the moment due to decorating and living condtions I have most of mine boxed up and it is frustrating to say the least.

Don't get people that keep their figures mint in box, just to resell.
Sure its an investment but its not right.
I only buy things I want to enjoy.
Saying that I have done the same and bought and sold figures without displaying.
If I display them they are part of the furniture and hard to let go off.

I have a deal with my family and I own a house with one special room I call "My Collectors Room only for Hot Toys Figures":) for now 54 figures and all my figures is out the box!! and my family have what they want too!!:)
https://
:wink1:
all my figures they are out the box, I can play take pictures, I enjoy this hobby with my son too.:)

Last edited:
Now since I recently moved to the new house and got my cabinets ready 95% of my collection is displayed. I wouldn't keep items boxed unless moving or not having space for them (but that needs not to be permanent otherwise why buying stuff and keeping boxed)

I may be daft, but I didn't get this post. :confused:

I mean now I have a room just for my figures all out the box me and my son we can play take pictures or whatevere we want and my girlfriend have a the house she wants.:)

Open them, I wouldn't see the point in spending £100+ on a figure then keeping it locked away, never to be seen. Unless you buy it purely for the resale value.

I mean now I have a room just for my figures all out the box me and my son we can play take pictures or whatevere we want and my girlfriend have a the house she wants.:)

Nice!

I guess I was just confused by the picture of your pool.

i'm like 'what, your gonna keep your figures in the pool?' :cuckoo::lol

Secret room beneath the pool. A true man cave. :hi5:

Hmm... You know how they have undewater rooms with openings in the floor but the water doesn't rush in because it's pressurized and full of air. Can you have a pressurized underwater room with an opening in the cieling like that, or would that not work?

Back