Boxed or Unboxed: That is the Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you keep your figures boxed or unboxed?

• Total voters
Keep ‘em boxed until a safe display area is available

i got over 28 hot toys figure and still in box till i find a good glass display unit... still looking for one...:banghead

I always open up my boxes. It makes absolutely no sense not to as you could have a damaged statue on your hands. While I may not display everything I have, I certainly make sure it's okay.

I will NEVER buy a statue from someone who refuses to confirm that a piece is undamaged. All these sellers who say "MIB" yet haven't ever opened up the piece to know for sure are total bunk. Unless they have x-ray vision, the only thing they can say is in mint condition is the packaging.

I have some 12"s boxed,because I have no space,if I have I would display them.

I've never understood the point of keeping stuff boxed unless it's vintage. Might as well print out a picture of the item and hang it on your wall, same effect and hell of a lot cheaper.
I've never understood the point of keeping stuff boxed unless it's vintage. Might as well print out a picture of the item and hang it on your wall, same effect and hell of a lot cheaper.

Thats probably exactly how I would have wrote it if I didn't already read it. If I didn't want the actual opened item I'd just vicariously collect though everyone else and use my money for other stuff.

I know a lot of people tend to buy doubles or triples of certain items and open one and keep the others boxed to either keep one mint or to sell at a later date. For me I like to open them up and display them. Once I have more money I'll begin to buy doubles. I'm dying to have doubles of my OC Batman and TDK DX2 and a 2 in 1 Superman. They are my most loved figures that's why. But for now I'll stick with one and expand when I have more money. I'll admit I do have some of them boxed, but it's because of the same reasons a few people here have them boxed up.... lack of space. Once I have more space I'll open them up and let them free.

i'm surprised theres not a market for just boxes. that way the people that collect unopened can just buy an empty box, fill it with bricks and pretend there is a statue or figure in them. same thing as having an unopened box, IMO.

The majority of my stuff is briefly opened, examined, boxed up and stored in the attitc. This isn't done by choice but instead forced on me due to a lack of room and glassed shelving at least until my (hopefully soon) move to an apartment. I've got stuff imprisoned up there coming up to 3yrs or so. It's TRAGIC.
In all honesty i dont understand people who intentionally display their stuff boxed up when they can quite easily unbox it all, or the folk who buy multiples of the same item..or dudes who wear gloves to handle their figures for that matter :lol It all smacks of OCD to me..

The majority of my stuff is briefly opened, examined, boxed up and stored in the attitc. This isn't done by choice but instead forced on me due to a lack of room and glassed shelving at least until my (hopefully soon) move to an apartment. I've got stuff imprisoned up there coming up to 3yrs or so. It's TRAGIC.
In all honesty i dont understand people who intentionally display their stuff boxed up when they can quite easily unbox it all, or the folk who buy multiples of the same item..or dudes who wear gloves to handle their figures for that matter :lol It all smacks of OCD to me..

Do you think your collection is worth what you paid or do you think you could buy most of it for less if you wait until you move? I think I would have saved my money and used it on the down payment for my house, THEN start accumulating a collection.

That's logical. I see the collection as furniture for my place though! It's pretty complete now (if there's such a thing for a collector) However once i've bought the place, i'll be cutting back in a big way partly for budgetary reasons. In that respect i'd never have been able to build the collection if i'd bought a place first.
Some of the pieces i've bought over the recent years have actually gained value so they are worthy investments i can cash in on in future if i choose to.
I regret nothing!

I've never understood the point of keeping stuff boxed unless it's vintage...

If everyone opened, then there wouldn't be any unopened vintage items!

Open..... Why would you collect to make your house look like a Wal Mart?

They can be displayed while still in the box and not look like a store shelf.

I keep my 1/6th figures boxed for now... one day I may open and display them, but for now, I still enjoy them even in the box.

Everyone collects differently, and no one is "right" in the way they collect, so I don't have a problem with not opening them.

Thanks for posting all!

Especially lcummins. You are in the minority, but I want to hear more from you and others like you! (I know your not the only one!) :D

Don't want the discussion to be all one side!

If everyone opened, then there wouldn't be any unopened vintage items!

They can be displayed while still in the box and not look like a store shelf.

I keep my 1/6th figures boxed for now... one day I may open and display them, but for now, I still enjoy them even in the box.

Everyone collects differently, and no one is "right" in the way they collect, so I don't have a problem with not opening them.

Same here everything i have is boxed ATM.(Not by choice)
The only items that will be displayed in the future will be my polystone stuff.

I immediately unbox everything and then stick it on a shelf to get dirty. I like to be able to see the figures in a cool pose and at any angle.

I just air-dusted my HT Iron Man MK2 for the first time since release. I'm a horrible person, I know.

I voted for the "Keep them boxed, until I have a safe place to display" option.

But, since I usually make space when I know a new item is arriving, I never had to keep anything boxed :D :rock

One of the cool parts of poseable 1/6 figs IMO, is that you can really make them your own by selecting a pose that you like. I usually try to go for a pose which not only I like, but also fits the character. Although that can be a bit tricky at times :D

Keep ‘em boxed until a safe display area is available. for me as well...

bought an apartment..and its still being built.. so i'll wait till my custom display shelves are done then open all of them. for now, i have a few pieces opened to play with :D

I immediately unbox everything and then stick it on a shelf to get dirty. I like to be able to see the figures in a cool pose and at any angle.

I just air-dusted my HT Iron Man MK2 for the first time since release. I'm a horrible person, I know.

:mwaha

I love that!

Pretty much describes me too! I have a couple figures that are overdue for dusting as well.

One of the cool parts of poseable 1/6 figs IMO, is that you can really make them your own by selecting a pose that you like. I usually try to go for a pose which not only I like, but also fits the character. Although that can be a bit tricky at times.
-The Entity

:lecture

Exactly! Well said! :duff
Why buy a poseable figure if your not going to pose it!!!:clap

Last edited:
As a primarily 1/6 collector, I like to open my figures as soon as I have a place to put them. I just feel it's a shame to have them all packaged up where they can't really be viewed properly.

I firmly believe that you should do what gives you the most enjoyment. If you get more enjoyment from leaving your collectibles boxed, then go for it! There's no right or wrong way.

I'm an opener so I like to display my collection, though since I'm going to move to a new house, some of the figures are back in their box until I move...

459 views and only 59 votes.

Surely there are more people who want their voice heard on this subject!

Back