Boxed or Unboxed: That is the Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you keep your figures boxed or unboxed?

• Total voters
Open 'em up. Who would want to look at a box of a cool figure instead of the cool figure itself. I only have a couple items boxed and that's because the box is what made it special like the Theater Edition Luke or the 500th Vader 3 3/4 figures.

I have unboxed most of my 1/6th figures, but alot of regular action figures I just kept in packaging and right now i don't have room to have them all out anyways, plus the dust in my apt is ridonculous. The bigger ones deserve there airtime.

What is the point of buying a statue or figure and keeping it boxed? That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. :duh

For the longest time I felt that keeping my stuff boxed was the way to go but more recently I have had a change of heart. I now open my stuff and enjoy whatever it is I'm looking at. I figure, if I got it in the first place, I liked it enough to get it and it should be enjoyed.

For the longest time I felt that keeping my stuff boxed was the way to go but more recently I have had a change of heart. I now open my stuff and enjoy whatever it is I'm looking at. I figure, if I got it in the first place, I liked it enough to get it and it should be enjoyed.

:clap Glad to hear it IC!!!

:duff

keep em boxed till you have somewhere safe (and bodacious!) to display them. it's taken me about 4 years to find something suitable (detolfs won't work - slanted walls. plus lots of dust means i need glass doors, so shelves were always out). but by god, in about a week's time, i'm going to finally unleash my collection hell :rock

Hope ya open them up to check them first. 4 years later dosen't give you a replacement slip. Esp with the way things currently are with SS QC :peace

I only keep duplicates in the box. Otherwise keeping a figure in the box is useless to me for the most part.

That is so Silence of the Lambs it is unerving lol.

"She puts the lotion in the basket."

no love...."IT put the lotion on THE skin, or else IT gets the hose again". HE/SHE refuse to acknowledge the girl as a person. :wacky

Well ok. Maglor wanted me to chime in seeing as how I'm a MOC collector. 1st let me start with a couple of disclaimers: I'm not accusing any one person, I'm only speaking in very general terms. 2nd yes I know my spelling sucks a fat one. Feel free to insult me about it, but it will in no way make me spell any better or spend a week learning how to install a spell checker on my PC. & 3rd, as some have already pointed out....this is all opinion & there is NO right or wrong.

OK, now as I see it my reasons for being MOC fall in to 3 catergories. 1) monitary value or money, 2), personal asthetics or the way it looks, & 3), personal emotion, or spiritual reasons.

1st lets get the seedy & ugly one out the way. MONEY $$$$$!!!!!!! It kills me when I read collectors post about how they only collect for the fun & value has NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH IT........ I call BULL_____!! DCUC wave 5 was the biggest and most latest proof of this. I lost count of how many posted they seen them in stores but passed on them because they had reused bodies or dumb character choice or figured they would pick them at a later date & were not a priority wave. Then reality crashed in that the wave was the holy grail. well after 2 years of baggering Mattel has stated they will re-issue the wave in May. Now all the collectors who did nothing but talk _____ about the wave (mostly because they wanted to make them selves feel better about not being able to get it) are now about to jump on the gravy train & break their cyber necks in buying the very item they once bashed.

Moving on now to the next part about money & collecting. CONSPIRACY!! Thats right, I said it. I for a long time now have found it very strange that so many loose posters on so many boards will harrass & in some cases try to "shame" a MOC collector for being MOC. I just read 5 pages of loose collectors going on & on about how crazy it is that we MOCs are for buying toys that will never be touch by human hands. I sat back for the 1st few years of collecting & just read these type of threads & came to a conclusion........there is a conspiracy to trick MOCs in to turning to the loose darkside.

Many loosers are jealious & regretful that they caved in to temptation of fellow collector pressure & now as a means of making them self feel better they have become part of the wave of pressue that over took them. They now help pressure & guilt MOCs in to ruining their impressive MOC collection by opening them so that they don't feel quite so bad about having opened all their own stuff.

Matter of fact.....I feel a flash back coming on (we need a flash back smilely LOL)......I remember a time when these foster parents took care of us foster kids, ( & i use the term "took care" very loosely). Well they would get these older kids to watch us when they were not home, & after dinner they would encourage of to hurry up & eat our desert. Well later on they would pull out their desert & eat it in front of us & make us feel bad cause we had already eaten ours. They made damn sure they took their time & relished every bit of the sweet & tasty treat. They do mean things like ask us if we were still hungry & wanted another pice of desert. & when we said yes, they would howl & laugh at the top of their lungs. They took great delight in teasing us & eating the yummy treat in front of us kids.

As wild as it seems, thats exactly whats going on in the debate over MOC vs Loose. The loosers are made up of a combo of real loose collectors &........FAKER LOOSERS :horror !! Thats right my dear loose collectors......there are fakers among you. Those who only pretend to be loose on the boards while in fact they are secretly.......MOC!!!!! :horror Whats that you say? what would be the point of pulling of such a hoax??? Simple....to get more & more MOCs to open their coveted MOC collection. After all, for each & evey toy you open....it only increases the value of a MOCs collection.

OH boy....its hitting the fan now LOL :naughty

I tell you what, I'll hold off on points 2 & 3 until you've all had time to wrap your heads around point one. Or at the very least give the Fakers a chance to call me dumb & crazy & say my POV means noting because i miss spelled words LOL :joy

Yes:)
Loving it....Can't wait for post 2 and 3.
Learn to spell hippie, MOC collectors are the dumbest bunch of crazies I ever met....Please continue :)

1) My spelling isn't good enough to pick up on any mistakes. :D
2) I use Firefox for my web browser. It has a built in spell check (it has highlighted 3 mistakes I have already made... excuse me while I fix them... okay, fixed. Firefox is a free download btw, and much better than internet explorer imo.
3) Thanks for posting. This place was lousy with openers and we needed someone to thoughtfully present the other side. :rock
4) Regarding $$$. Most of the figures that I now collect are in collector friendly packaging, so even though they are technically opened they can still be sold as MIB (though not as NRFB – Never removed from box.) In fact I recently bought a Hot Toys Marcus Wright that was sold as MIB. I could tell that the box had been opened, but the figure was complete and well taken care up. Thus to me it was mint and didn't bother me, because I was just going to open it up anyway. Point is, that figures with collector friendly packaging hold the same value whether they are opened or not. And this is the case with most Hot Toys and Sideshow figures.
5) Not sure if I'm buying the whole conspiracy idea, because I am a "real loose collector" and the idea of preferring your collectibles in the box is utterly incomprehensible. Perhaps others can add some insight to this.
6) For point # 4 to hold any weight, all the packaging must be kept and cared for just like the collectible itself. I do this. :)
7) Finally I will say that I do keep some figures MOC as they look better displayed this way.

7) Finally I will say that I do keep some figures MOC as they look better displayed this way.

I want to elaborate on this as I think it's related to your second point.

Some figures really do look better MOC.

I had duplicates of a few Batman the Animated Series figures so I opened the doubles.

Here's how they look both ways:

P1030458.jpg

P1050743.jpg

If I only had one of each I definitely would have regretted opening them.

It was kind of fun to open/play with/display them for a few days, but they are now in the closet, because off of the card they look lame on display with Hot Toys figures. But on the card they look like collectibles instead of toys. So I can see an advantage to keeping some figures in the packaging. But that is the exception to the rule in my opinion.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing what you have to say on your 2nd and 3rd points. Especially curious about #3.

:peace

Just in case there any one who has not seen the Queen collection here a link to my photo bucket. Its any old photo gallery. My collection has increased another 10K & is now in storage to the tune of $145.00 a month. It kills me that i must waste so much money on storage when it could be going to shopping sprees like it belongs. But my new room is way to small to fit it in (insert the "that what she said joke here lol).

https://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt37/SUPREMEQUEEN09/

Very impressive! :clap

I think you have made a good choice in keeping those boxed. With a few exceptions I would do the same. But I don't collect 7" anymore.

Just out of curiosity, do you have much 1/6th stuff?

Very impressive! :clap

I think you have made a good choice in keeping those boxed. With a few exceptions I would do the same. But I don't collect 7" anymore.

Just out of curiosity, do you have much 1/6th stuff?

yes tons, sorry but it was in the mobile uploads so the pics are grainy. & yes, I am fully aware that the Hot Toy shelf looks........well a hot mess no pun intended lol. But i was packing up & getting ready to move. enjoy

https://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt37/SUPREMEQUEEN09/Mobile

Back