Boxed or Unboxed: That is the Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you keep your figures boxed or unboxed?

• Total voters

Maglor

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello fellow freaks!!!

As I explore this realm I have learned that not everyone's collecting habits are the same. I am particularly interested in the question of whether you unbox your figures or keep them boxed.

I am primarily interested in this question with regard to pose-able collectibles.

Take the poll so we can see what the majority do. Then feel free to discuss the reasons for your preference. I think this could be a lively and interesting discussion!

I've never understood the point of keeping stuff boxed unless it's vintage. Might as well print out a picture of the item and hang it on your wall, same effect and hell of a lot cheaper.

I'm an opener... I have a few MISB items just because of nostalgia or the presentation looks better that way (S-Mart Ash for instance) but 99% of my stuff is opened.

I can also see the keeping things in the box if you don't have display space; which I'll do from time to time (like when I was moving) but generally any new stuff I get is bought with the intention of it being displayed right away... which sometimes means lower priority items get boxed themselves, or sold off.

Thanks for that link, but I would still like to see poll results!

Plus there was only one person in that thread that kept them boxed. I would like a little more diversity in comments. I know there are many that do keep them boxed, and they have their reasons.

[Also, that thread is from 2005!]

I can recall this topic coming up from time to time... either polls or someone asking what others do. Heck, a lot of times if someone shows off their collection and its all in boxes one of the first comments is asking them to "release their figures" :lol

I think the majority here are openers... at least that's been my experience thus far.

keep em boxed till you have somewhere safe (and bodacious!) to display them. it's taken me about 4 years to find something suitable (detolfs won't work - slanted walls. plus lots of dust means i need glass doors, so shelves were always out). but by god, in about a week's time, i'm going to finally unleash my collection hell :rock

I can recall this topic coming up from time to time... either polls or someone asking what others do. Heck, a lot of times if someone shows off their collection and its all in boxes one of the first comments is asking them to "release their figures" :lol

I think the majority here are openers... at least that's been my experience thus far.

I am an opener, and I agree that most here will be, but I want to see reasons for why someone wouldn't open them.

I have had the "debate" in other areas on the site, I just want a dedicated place for it.

I can't imagine keeping them boxed even if I had no ideal place for display. Unboxing is such a thrill for me and I usually do it as soon as I receive the figure.

Many are concerned with dust and other damage. Some will only display behind glass.

I don't have any figures behind glass as I like to be able to get right up to the figures to look at them. When I run out of room, I rotate the figures that I have on display.

Yeah, even when I was moving and had no place to display the figures I would still open them; get some enjoyment out of them and then box 'em back up until I was ready to display them.

I open everything, from 4" figures up to the Comiquettes and Premium Formats. I can *kind* of see how a carded small figure collection would be appealing, but I will never understand why someone would keep a piece of work like a 12" or especially a statue/bust in the box. Just my opinion. :) I know storage has a lot to do with with some people.

John

It depends for me... for some reason I only open my $100+ 1/6 scale figures... other things like $10-30 7-8 inch figures I keep in their window box packaging. Statues with window box packaging I keep in their boxes also since they're not pose-able anyways.

1:6 action figures (especially the Hot Toys brand) are too expensive for you not to enjoy its articulation & sheer headsculpting beauty.

I unbox 'em, pose them once in a while & take pictures of 'em.. If I'm done posing them, I'll display them on their respective stands for my viewing pleasure.

I keep the boxes for cases where I need to move them in the future.

Hope that helps :)

I unbox everything, except for some of the older Dead figures I am acquiring I am keeping them in box unopened. Not sure why just am, although I have no real place to display them right now. I also haven't taken my DX Joker out of box either but that is because he looks badass in the box.

Depends. If I have multiples, then I will open one and keep the others boxed. Most of the time I keep them boxed until I can display them in a way that would keep them from dust.

Back