Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use a Sony Computer- I use a Mac

I don't use a Sony Camera- I use a Cannon

I don't have a Sony TV- I have a Samsung

I don't have a Sony game console- I have a Nintendo and an Xbox.

I am anti Sony.

This would be a cool commercial. It's weird when I think about it because all my decisions were subconscious but I don't own any Sony products. :rotfl:lol

1. I have 3 Mac's
2. I have a Samsung TV
3. I have all 360 PS3 Wii and DS
4. Not anti Sony
5. Blu-ray will win. It's inevitable, run the figures, do the numbers, look at the sales. Money talks and that's what won the Paramount game, but it really doesn't help HD DVD whatsoever.

1. I have 3 Mac's
2. I have a Samsung TV
3. I have all 360 PS3 Wii and DS
4. Not anti Sony
5. Blu-ray will win. It's inevitable, run the figures, do the numbers, look at the sales. Money talks and that's what won the Paramount game, but it really doesn't help HD DVD whatsoever.

The future is not yet written....

Numbers and statistics are deceiving and the majority of commoners have yet to choose their side. The masses are cheap and HD is their prescription. :D

Let's say that it costs me $1.25 to burn a dual layer DVD, but it only costs me about 40 cents to burn a single layer DVD. Assuming that they sold for the same price, which would be more profitable for me? If I sell at a 2:1 ratio and charge $2 per disc, it cost me $2.50 to make $4 on the one format and $0.40 to make $2 on the other format. Even though I sold half as many copies, I actually made more profit with the cheaper disc. Ten cents ain't much, but those dimes add up over time and in the end I wouldn't need to sell as many copies to make more money. If I am only selling a handful of copies in total to a niche market, I just might be more interested in pursuing the disc that costs less to produce.

Now if you're Target, you don't care how much it cost me to make it. You just care about the MSRP and how many copies you are going to sell at retail price. But if you are the studio, those production costs matter. And when this is still a niche market, the total sales are relatively low and those higher BR production costs have to be spread across a batch of discs numbering only in the thousands. Now this is all a gross oversimplification, but I think that it is quite possible that from the studio's perspective, it makes sense to focus on the cheaper format.

Yet Blu-ray outsells HD DVD by a 2:1 ratio... interesting. I agree in a way Tom, but if it was that way, then why are most companies with Blu-ray instead of HD DVD?

Don't get me wrong, i'm completely with you guys and know that it's about money, manufacturing costs, etc. etc. but still. Look at the hard numbers. If there was to be a winner based on todays statistics, then Blu-ray would be it.

And you're the man El Roranous. Glad we at least share the same tastes in most electronic goods :lol :rock

Yet Blu-ray outsells HD DVD by a 2:1 ratio... interesting. I agree in a way Tom, but if it was that way, then why are most companies with Blu-ray instead of HD DVD?

Don't get me wrong, i'm completely with you guys and know that it's about money, manufacturing costs, etc. etc. but still. Look at the hard numbers. If there was to be a winner based on todays statistics, then Blu-ray would be it.

And you're the man El Roranous. Glad we at least share the same tastes in most electronic goods :lol :rock

:rock :rock

You know I would own a PS3 if I wasn't so cheap. :eek: So I have to continue to bash Sony and Blu Ray tlll I am part of the cool kids. :lol

You aren't cheap! You drop 300 US on statues, and you do own Macs over PCs... lol

I guess you make a valid point. I am cheap in most areas other than these though....

I still hate buying things like toilet paper. Trash bags too....you just end up throwing them away. :monkey2

I'll be watching the forums and eBay for Blu-Ray copies of Transformers.

If Paramount doesn't want my money, I'll gladly give a pirate some gold for a Blu-Ray copy.

Is there even an HD-DVD burner? I know there's the Blu-Ray burners which aren't all that bad, and there's one that can burn Blu-Ray and play HD-DVD but I don't know of one that can burn HD-DVD.

Even Michael Bay is disgusted with Paramount.

https://www.shootfortheedit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2299

"I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!"

Michael Bay has had a chance to sleep on it and has now changed his tune:

Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three blu-ray owners, they were pissed about no Transformers Blu-ray and I drank the kool aid hook line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted - nothing good ever comes out of early am posts mind you - I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!

Michael Bay

It also shows you that Bay doesn't have the clout of a Spielberg or Lucas. When asked about the Indy films, the Paramount reps replied:

"Mr. Spielberg has expressed the desire to make his films available to all consumers, so they will be multi-format. There will be some multi-format releases."

Translation: We're Spielberg's b##ches ... just makes us another blockbuster!

I guarantee that if there is no clear cut winner before Lucas releases Star Wars (and I mean someone with 75% or more of the market) on HD, it will be multiformat as well.

P.S. But I am still confused over Dreamworks ... if Spielberg is so keen on multi-format support, why is Dreamworks following suit with the HD-DVD exc.? Isn't he still a controlling partner?

Back