[Blitzway] The Silence of the Lambs: Hannibal Lecter

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blitzway 1/6 Scale Hannibal Lecter

So weird. That other guys video made it look horrible and it seemed like he had normal lighting. I am toys looks a lot better. I think I know what’s going on... it’s a two-face figure!
85393f3d0f5c82235d6d4c3c4c766e3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my thoughts in a general way about this whole thing are really mixed; on one hand I just love that this most iconic character is FINALLY getting his just due. I feel he has been neglected somewhat not only by major companies but even on the custom market.

Blitzway is a company that I respect a lot. They have (until now, here’s looking at you Cutthroat Island) selected much needed and beloved licenses and really drove them home through production. This is consistent here, the idea was there, the love was there the engineering was there. What’s not there is the most alarming and inconsistent drop off I’ve ever seen from the company when it comes to production. Ghostbusters was delayed for a lot longer than these and I wonder if these were rushed out somewhat?

I’m going to focus on the gurney version here but I will probably talk about the other one a bit invariantly which I will review a bit later. I will also prefix that this is not geared to give killer pictures (I don’t have my SLR here with me so the pictures suck) but really dissect the figure and as I always do, I ran right into fixing things so I don’t have a lot to show for what it was right out of the box.

As I mentioned this is really geared towards us few old school guys here who have been in this Hannibal game for years now and have the rest of the stuff that’s been put out there.

The Sculpt: 4/5

Let me be frank in saying that the reason it’s not a 5, as it damn well could and should have been is that I detected a very slight distortion in the production castings. I think there is a bit of vertical squishing happening. Other than that the plastic used may be a bit too orange and shiny which I think is throwing off the base of the paint somewhat, but it is high quality PVC and the size is just right. Not to go unmentioned is the stellar likeness and detail. I might not that the hair could use more detail but I think a lot is to do with the paint. There is no mistaking this is an epic and amazing portrait of Hopkins as Hannibal.

Right: Iminime (always hated this sculpt)

The Paint: 1.5/5

Where to start here. Let me just say that if I was Yelim I’d want my name taken off of the box. It’s true Blitzway has always had a drop off from prototype problem nothing has ever been this severe. I talked a lot about why it’s hard to replicate a paint job like Yelims in the pages before, but what is most concerning here is not the replication it’s just how poor this is by industry standard. Now let me say, the issue here is not sloppiness… crisp eyes and details are present, it’s more about overall depth, finish detail and tone. It’s an incredibly flat base with very little detail in the tone, which is rendered atop this orange and shiny PVC base (even hitting this thing with a standard Tamiya matte coat spray may do wonders) the skin freckling is odd… the hair… perhaps the most shocking, a crude and harsh gray slab of paint with clear neglection to his very prominent bald spot and McFarlane Toys esque dry brushing was kind of reminiscent of a 2006 Sideshow sculpt to me. Other odd things are his one tone teeth that do not have a spot gloss on them. Three zero, a company I have a lot of issues with… stack their Saul Goodman up to this from paint and production standpoint and you will think you’re looking at a masterpiece by comparison. There is no excuse for this and it needs a full repaint… there is no saving this by adding tweaks or details, it has no leg to stand on as a paint job.

The outfit: 3.5/5

What we have here is the nicest and most accurate straight jacket we have seen yet with really lovely weathering. I’d argue it was too white. This always seems to be overlooked. The classic scene with the senator is a bit tungsten lit, but If you look at the scene when Hannibal is in his cell wearing the cage mask, there is an overhead shot where you see white papers om the desk, you can see how much more off white and crème the jacket is supposed to me. I dyed mine with a dash of chocolate brown synthetic RIT to match what is on screen, which made the weathering a bit less stark which I don’t mind. This is for us obsessive folk. If you care about the character at the very least dip it in coffee for a bit. If you want to live with what they gave you, I wouldn’t fault you for that either. The collar is not as thick as it should be but they got the little yellow lining in there and there is a wire in it which is a godsend.

The jumpsuit is nice but the main issue is it’s just too big and baggy, had I not had the iminime option I’d have been OK with it though. Now I won’t fault blitzway for this because as far as I know there’s literally no way to tell what that jump suit looked like under the jacket. A quick google search will link you to a non-official reference that looks like the iminime one with the printing on the back and the number on the right breast. Not the way blitzway went. I don’t know which is accurate but I like the iminime approach better on principal, I also prefer the brighter color and more tapered fit.

Top: iminime

The body situation 1.5/5

So I’m pretty sure what they put this on was that Ghostbusters body. So Hannibal under his stuff is ripped to shreds with massive John Cena triceps and the overscale 7 foot tall approach. I’m happy though that the head doesn’t seem to be in scale with that. I’d be pissed if I was the kind of collector who liked things stock, but more than happy that he won’t have a bobblehead when I switched him back to a more proper scaled body. So yeah, the body is a terrible choice and all kinds of wrong, way too massive he can’t assume natural poses in the strait jacket. I’d almost have wished that theory just gave his body a moded piece like the arms on the white prisoner outfit because this was truly awful. He comes on the same white fat suit that the other one has and I think it actually mimics his body well. It especially shines on a regular thin truetype body. He also has nice cupped hands, the sculpt and paint is terrible on them but it doesn’t matter as they are intended to be hidden.

You will see on mine that I used my old combo regular TT legs and upper TT thin with the iminime fat suit. you can get away with the aforementioned thin TT body and the BW fat suit just fine also

Left is an old style TT that I modded a bit (all I had here)

this is what I used

The Accessories 2.5/5

Here we go, well let’s talk about the mask again quickly. It’s a major bummer that they changed the sculpt to be inaccurate from the prototype but as Robbie found out it was likely due to rights issues. I wonder how NECA got away with this? Sculpt side the paint is also terrible wrong color and way less detailed than in the prior pics. But I guess that’s no surprise.

The little sign thing is also very cheap and plasticky looking.

The shoes are nice, they got the brown soles. Which you can see in a split second frame in the dolly scene. I find it hard to determine what kind of shoes he actually wore but these do the trick nicely.

The points here come from the gurney, I divorced myself from the masterpiece that is the Robbie one and tried to think if this objectively. I have to say it’s not bad but the overall quality can feel a lot better even in plastic this FEELS plastic. HT does a lot better job of having plastic look and feel like metal. This sort of reminds me of something from Hasbro (albeit a step very much above them). They got the design right however, it also lowers and raises well. Robbie’s have a lot more detail and logic in the design (padded bars make a lot more sense than bare metal bars) but again this joke paint job gives him a dark brown pillow. Where did they get that idea from? it’s so clearly visible for so much of the film and it’s white.

The mesh mask is pretty decent despite it being soft plastic, it looks surprisingly realistic. It hooks to a piece under the pillow, Robbie interpreted his differently and built those rings it into the mask closure, we can’t tell which is right but both approaches work.

Robbie's is the one on the left

Robbie's is the one on the right

Robbie's on the left

OVERALL 2.5/5

If they gave him a proper sized body, and gave him a great paint job it would shoot up to a 3.5. Or a 4 If the dolly was made out of a plastic that felt less like plastic and had some paint weathering and detail it would shoot up to a 4.5, This feels like a rushed effort from BW and is pretty heart breaking to see. I really don’t see anything also coming out from this company any time soon that’s worthy of buying but I hope they continue their trend of kick ass licenses and I hope they slow down and keep the bar high because the slim here in quality is beyond inexcusable. BW can, has and damn well should strive to do better.

What you see here is Robbie’s stuff, the sculpt swapped on the body situation I mentioned above, the iminime jumpsuit and the sculpt that once I get around to repainting will put a top 10 in my collection item… but the reality is it’s so far from what BW offered.

THE VERDICT IF YOU HAVE THE OLD CUSTOM FIGURES:

1. Don’t buy this
2. Buy the straight jacket loose
3. Buy the Fat Suit loose (optional)
4. Buy the shoes loose
5. Buy the head loose
6. Get the head repainted

iminime jumpsuit on a thin TT and BW fat suit and a HEVILY MODIFIED BW white version (more to come on that, the body was a mess out of box)

on the right is straight out of box BW

Last edited:
I swear some folks got a different figure set than me. Lol.

Such a much better video! Thanks so much for this; you're right, there's really nothing wrong with the paint at all. maybe too orange in color, but other than that, looks good.

Such a much better video! Thanks so much for this; you're right, there's really nothing wrong with the paint at all. maybe too orange in color, but other than that, looks good.

Thanks for watching my dude. 🤜🤛

I'm so confused, I Am Toys the paint app looks pretty decent now Raymond F Review, Lecter looks like he has been tangoed. If your saying the paint app is that bad I totally believe you. Maybe there is something in what I Am Toys said about he might of got a different figure to other peoples?
Maybe the paint app is not universal to every fig and some have good paint work and others have a shoddy paint app.

Re: Blitzway 1/6 Scale Hannibal Lecter

My main issue with the paint seeing everyone’s pics and videos is the overly brown skin tone. Why does blitzway make all their white characters South American! If this figure got Rays iminime Hannibal paint apps this figure would be near perfect.

Just opened the strait-jacket version (not got round to the other one yet) and... it's perfectly fine. Face is not oranger than a Scouse lass waking up in a pool of her own vomit, there's still decent detail coming through in the sculpt and it now looks age appropriate to Lambs rather than the arl arse Hopkins from Red Dragon that the prototype resembled.

20181231_134940.jpg

20181231_134953.jpg

Yeah, the mask is not accurate to the movie but neither has any custom mask I've owned, or seen, been completely accurate. To my knowledge, the mask used in Silence did not have two actual 'holes' representing nostrils but rather two indents either side of a letterbox-like slit? It differed in later movies featuring the Lecter character with the two indents becoming actual holes at both ends of the slit. Blitzway made the 'slit' too pronounced and added an extra bar to the gob grill but, apart from that, it's honestly not bad and there's no mistaking which cheeky cannibal is currently chow deprived when the figure is decked out in it.

The dolly is decent enough as an accessory, despite being cheap plastic and is perfectly serviceable to recreate the scene from the movie the figure is intended to depict. It goes without saying though that it can't possibly compare to the stellar effort Robbie painstakingly researched nor the version offered by FullMetal.

Seriously, the set has got some faults....but it's a long way from being the **** show some have suggested (still think they should have thrown in the blue jumpsuit for those who ordered both versions though).

Attachments

• 20181231_135025.jpg
    20181231_135025.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 236
Thanks, I’ve got my custom with SW Ourworld jumpsuit on a narrow TT right now and the body is just a bit too tall for the suit and Hopkins, I’m looking to grab a Sideshow Pro body like from Indy, I think that would fit the build. There’s not really much for spare room to the jumpsuit so anyone looking to use it for customs with BW parts may not want to worry about a fat suit.

Im happy for everyone who is happy with this, and if you look at in on the surface, its just so great that in 2018 a company actually made this happen, but no matter how you slice it, this is the biggest decline from a prototype I've ever seen in 1/6

the orangeness of these paint jobs just will not work. Compare them to literally any other figure in your collection and youll see. What makes it even tougher with the white version is it also means the arms need a repaint. The crossed ones are basically unusable between the color, the rough sculpt, and the truly bizarre eraserhead-like situation that is the connecting fingers on the folded versions.

I dont care what the deal is with the mask copyright, showing what they did, never updating that info, and throwing in the mask they did is absolutely undefendable.

this is a 4/10 set at best. The straight jacket, head sculpts, shoes, and white outfit are the lone positives among everything else being complete head scratchers for me.

Threezero danyeres may actually be the biggest decline I’ve seen in a prototype but this might actually be the second ( and there’s a lot of bad threezero figures that dropped way off the prototype.

I don’t think this figure is quite threezero bad but I’d go so far to say it’s actually of the quality and level of those big Chief bond figures I criticized to no end a year ago. There’s good eingineering and a few things to work with but the production quality is unspeakably disappointing.

The difference there is big Chief was stepping up their game a lot where these guys seem to just throw in the towel here which makes it all the more disappointing.

based on IAMTOYS review I ordered the 2 pack from Timewalker Toys.

I do appreciate both Chili's and Raymond's opinions however...

I just see this release skyrocketing on the Secondary market--and I never could have afforded the Rainman/Robbie sets...

This will have to do...

Thanks to the reviews I have a good idea about the various parts except the white costume body and interchangeable arm connectors. Is this just the same as the dolly body but with different shoulder joints? Your body mod looks great, Ray. I look forward to that info.

Thanks to the reviews I have a good idea about the various parts except the white costume body and interchangeable arm connectors. Is this just the same as the dolly body but with different shoulder joints? Your body mod looks great, Ray. I look forward to that info.

That's what I'm hoping. I have the SJ version coming next week.

The arms plug in below the upper arm shoulder. I'm gonna take mine apart because I want to know If I can stick to my original plan of picking up loose white pants and a pair of loose arms to do the billy club pose ( straight jacket sculpt appropriate).

If I were someone who really loves the character and movie I wouldn’t try and turn someone off from purchasing this especially since it’s the best Hannibal on the market. If high quality and bang for the buck and not wanting to mod anything is a concern I would just want everyone to know what they are getting themselves into so there’s is no surprises, which is why I was hoping to be as detailed in my dissection / review as possible.

This bums me out for blitzway but at least they can hopefully work out the kinks on some figures I could give two ****s about like cutthroat island.

Entropy yup that’s the case here, same bodies and fat suits but the shoulder joints have magnets and the arms have magnets. Works quite well.

Again a warning this is ghostbusters scale so your Hannibal will stand a half head taller than your captian America.

What we did was shorten his legs and shave in at his crotch so his pants rided higher and lengthened his legs to compensate. Thankfully his arms didn’t seem to long after all that. It worked doubly because out of the box his torso looked about two times too long. I’ll post more detailed info and pics of the body mod soon.

Back