Blitzway: Kurt Cobain 1:6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it the technical part that I was referring to. No denying they were the front band for the grunge revolution.

Unfortunately, they eclipsed bands like Alice in Chains, SoundGarden and even Pearl Jam, who were musically way better artists.

Kurts life was a mess, and eventually that cynical outlook seems to have claimed many who were part of that era.

Yeah. If there is one thing you'll often hear from Nirvana critics or haters is the simplicity of the songs. For me, I wouldn't say those other bands are "musically better" just more technically proficient. When it comes to music that moves me technicality isn't always at the forefront of my mind. Some people just have a knack for writing really good songs. For example listen to their most famous song Smells Like Teen Spirit. During the quiet parts ( the verses) Kurt is only picking 2 notes on his guitar, but listen to how he decides to sing these sections. You wouldn't expect that melody over those two notes if you didn't know the song or heard the bass line. It completely changes the song. It's dark, moody, original and super catchy.

If your take a view that Nirvana is a decendent of punk, then the simple song make much more sense.

AIC and Soungarden are anything but simple.

As far as self centered, to me self loathing is self centered...

Last edited:
Nirvana’s music was not “simple”. Kurt’s chords may appear that way, but in-depth analyses proves otherwise.
It can be tough to describe Nirvana in these terms because Kurt’s guitar playing is certainly on the simpler end of the technicality spectrum and the song structures are fairly standard- with the signature grunge dynamic shift between verse to chorus- but his melodies were the most sophisticated and infectious of the genre/era and all the parts combined created something new and of a quality and impact that, although countless bands have tied, none not been able to replicate this ‘simple’ formula.

Despite the riffs and songs being easy to play, it takes serious, magical talent to create them in the first place. Essentially, he made something incredibly difficult seem easy- and if that’s not the true mark of a master of his craft, I don’t know what is.

Last edited:
I often wonder how Nirvana would have evolved had Kurt not died. I mean they were a pretty young band when he passed and only had three studio albums.

It can be tough to describe Nirvana in these terms because Kurt’s guitar playing is certainly on the simpler end of the technicality spectrum and the song structures are fairly standard- with the signature grunge dynamic shift between verse to chorus- but his melodies were the most sophisticated and infectious of the genre/era and all the parts combined created something new and of a quality that impact that, despite countless bands trying, has not been replicated.

Despite the riffs and songs being easy to play, it takes serious, magical talent to create them in the first place. Essentially, he made something incredibly difficult seem easy- and if that’s not the true mark of a master of his craft, I don’t know what is.
Well said. :clap

I often wonder how Nirvana would have evolved had Kurt not died. I mean they were a pretty young band when he passed and only had three studio albums.
I think he would have gone a bit more folksy. Kind of like what Elliott Smith did a few years later.

Continuing with the off topic conversation: I like Nirvana and completely understand how they changed the mainstream music scene (it was sorely needed), but without his passing we would probably not have the Foo Fighters. I am a bigger fan of theirs than Nirvana.
I honestly don't think Kurt had much more in him. Nevermind was his peak. Bleach is rough and not in a good way for me. In Utero doesn't have the bite of Nevermind. I could definitely see him doing the folksy thing. I enjoy Soundgarden and AIC more than Nirvana. Don't really understand the appeal of Pearl Jam, but I do enjoy Temple of the Dog.

I saw Nirvana live here on the Gold Coast way back in 1992, they were the support band for The Violent Femmes. I couldn't tell you a single song they played, I barely paid any attention to them, and spent most of their set standing at the bar. Who knew at the time that they'd blow up to be the cultural phenomenon that they still are to this day. This figure came out great, fantastic looking headsculpt that looks as good as the prototype. Thinking I'll pick this one up.

I think he would have gone a bit more folksy. Kind of like what Elliott Smith did a few years later.
That’s kind of what I think too. At least he may have dabbled in more folksy work for a while after the success of Unplugged. Would have been interesting and so unfortunate that he wasn’t long for this world.

I remember watching an interview with Nirvana just months before Cobain died where they talked about the new direction they were heading in. Surprisingly, it was a new wave sound they promised. They may have been joking, but in the interview they came across as serious and sincere and I was curious to hear how their sound would change and how that would influence the trajectory of mid-90s music. Of course, we never got to see or hear that new Nirvana or live that future.

When we talk about Nirvana's influence it's quite true that they were rather simplistic and even derivative of other 90s garage music of the time - when I first heard Nirvana I thought it was a new Pixies record. Nirvana even admitted to stealing sounds from other bands and you can hear it. They weren't the innovators, but the best imitators and also the most resilient and resounding "spirit" champions of 90s Grunge. That was the sound and spirit we needed and wanted in 1991.

But when we talk about Nirvana and why they were influential we're really often talking about the impact of Butch Vig on the culture of 90s music. His work was groundbreaking and his studio sonic canvas was what defined the Grunge sound with bands like Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins. Thirty years later and I can hear Vig's innovative imprint on these records and now I understand why we were talking about them at the time. Seriously, those records have a sonic quality that's deep, complex and nuanced, and few records of the day matched that quality. Nirvana may not have been as proficient as some of the other bands - I was a Soundgarden fan and also thought Smashing Pumpkins' Gish was better than anything Nirvana was doing - but they made up for it in the studio with Vig's guidance and production help that crafted the spirit of the 90s sound. Vig was the George Martin of the time and when we listen to those records we hear his impetus on the generation of music. Nirvana just took the accolades.

If your take a view that Nirvana is a decendent of punk, then the simple song make much more sense.

AIC and Soungarden are anything but simple.

As far as self centered, to me self loathing is self centered...

I don't see those two as the same. Self centered is largely seen as someone that's arrogant and possibly without empathy. That wasn't Kurt.
It can be tough to describe Nirvana in these terms because Kurt’s guitar playing is certainly on the simpler end of the technicality spectrum and the song structures are fairly standard- with the signature grunge dynamic shift between verse to chorus- but his melodies were the most sophisticated and infectious of the genre/era and all the parts combined created something new and of a quality and impact that, although countless bands have tied, none not been able to replicate this ‘simple’ formula.

Yeah, that's how I feel. There's some excellent breakdowns of their music from people that know theory like Rick Beato on YT. Of course Kurt didn't know theory but that's almost irrelevant. He had an ear for music. The Beatles didn't know theory either.

I got that vibe too, but who knows. Kurt could be hella harsh on himself and immediately jettisoned whatever he was working on at the moment. They really had to be talked into Unplugged.
Continuing with the off topic conversation: I like Nirvana and completely understand how they changed the mainstream music scene (it was sorely needed), but without his passing we would probably not have the Foo Fighters. I am a bigger fan of theirs than Nirvana.
I honestly don't think Kurt had much more in him. Nevermind was his peak. Bleach is rough and not in a good way for me. In Utero doesn't have the bite of Nevermind. I could definitely see him doing the folksy thing. I enjoy Soundgarden and AIC more than Nirvana. Don't really understand the appeal of Pearl Jam, but I do enjoy Temple of the Dog.

I love their whole catalog in which I'd have to include Unplugged and Incesticide which I almost think of as a regular album instead of a compilation. It has so many amazing songs on it. In Utero is kinda nuts. It's hard to believe something that abrasive, noisy, weird & dark was so mainstream. If they set out to make the anti - Nevermind they managed to do it even though some of their most melodic, even pretty, songs are on it. It is hard to listen to some times given some of the lyrics and knowing where Kurt's head was during the recording.

I honestly don't think Kurt had much more in him. Nevermind was his peak. Bleach is rough and not in a good way for me. In Utero doesn't have the bite of Nevermind. I could definitely see him doing the folksy thing.

One of the last complaints about In Utero I could think of, would be it having less bite than the others.

But he definitely had nothing in the musical tank for Nirvana. Half of In Utero were songs written at least a year prior to the sessions, I think 4 of the 12 were from 1990.

What have you decided on for the second outfit?

There's a few things I know I'll use and others I'm still deciding on. I have a pair of Converses and jeans that I'm gonna beat up a little bit. Those are definites. I'm still deciding on a shirt. I'm gonna either use a shirt with horizontal black & white stripes or a plain white shirt that I'm gonna modify into that Flipper shirt he often wore.

flipper_kurt_cobain_tshirt_1596267603_4d7ff946.jpg

And I recently bought this from ebay that I might match with the stripped shirt.

Screenshot_20230805_140904_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
Back