Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017)

She got a pretty high up credit for that....she was billed like 5th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. We have Crispin Glover to thank for actors having to be credited with a re-use of their original dialogue and footage(And rightly so, of course).

friday4_dance1.gif

Well, whoever Rachel was you guys should look at her hand when she touches Deckard ... they didn't de-age that plump oldie.

OK, I was wrong. :eek:

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/blade-runner-2049-vfx-replicant-sean-young-rachael-1201889072/

Body double Loren Peta played the young Rachael (in costume, makeup, and with dotted face) and performed on set with Ford and Jared Leto. She was directed by Denis Villeneuve, with Young on set as well for reference. The goal was to merge the two into a perfect replica.

“Denis really liked Loren’s performance when it was cut together, but part of our plan was to do a facial capture of Loren and Sean,” said Oscar-winning production visual effects supervisor John Nelson (“Gladiator”). “So on a secret Saturday [in Budapest] we brought in Sean and Loren using the DI4D PRO Facial Capture System, saying their lines.”

Oscar-winning MPC (“The Jungle Book”) was tasked with animating the 20-year-old Rachael. After getting the present-day scan of Young’s head, that reference was used to model an anatomically correct 3D skull. The digital sculpt provided a clear idea of the proportions of her head, including the bridge of the nose, cheekbones, and jaw line.

“We captured both actresses doing the scene in a controlled facial capture environment, but, in the end, because we wanted to tell this story with subtle changes, we ended up hand-animating the whole thing,” said MPC visual effects supervisor Richard Clegg.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

She really didn't look so real to me.

Not 100% but in the context of what's come before with CGI humans I thought it was extremely good and the best I've seen.

Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017)

I dunno , again talk to a person who does not Sean young was in the first one and they would never know that was a CGI character....

Same with Tarkin....we just are so jaded to the fact that we know it's CGI that we cannot accept it a totally real....

And that scene was near perfect....

Dat headshot thou!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Tarkin was better. He had to act and speak and everything.

Rachel just remained vague, distant, and still the trick didn't convince. She looked a little 'bloated' to me too -- which gives away the 'actor' underneath. Granted, she's supposed to seem distant, but the leap wasn't as far for me. I think people are taking the more serious nature of the film and attributing it to her CGI work as well.

Huh, interesting how everyone's perception is different.
I actually thought the CGI Rachael looked a little older than she should have been, not really bloated. Sean Young was only 19 or something in the original.
And I thought Tarkin looked a little cross eyed in RO :)

Bloated is a bad term but I couldn't think of a better word. Slightly chubby maybe. Slightly, but enough that she looked off to me. My question was: did they de-age her or CGI her over an actor. Don't get me wrong, it was amazing work... but just off to me. Not like RO Leia off, but off.

I think there are two separate arguments being made in this discussion. One is for how accurate the likeness was to Sean Young (circa 1982) and the other for how life-like the CG render was. I agree that while the likeness was very close and convincing, it still felt off. Like Wor-Gar said, the presented character seemed a little heavier. However, that CG render was extremely life-like, IMO. The best CG depiction of a human being I have ever seen on film.

Perhaps that's a good way to put it. She felt pretty lifelike to me -- as much as Rachel did in 1982. But the likeness was off for me. Made me realize this was not Rachel from 1982.

Yes. As a CGI render, the most lifelike human I've seen. But likeness to 1982 Sean Young not quite there.

Villeneuve directed Loren Peta on set and they used her face for motion capture. They also used Sean Young's face for motion capture and dialogue (this is why she is listed in the credits) and essentially combined information from the two for the digital head which was used on top of the footage of Loren Peta's body. Young also was on set coaching Peta how Rachael would walk.

Yes. As a CGI render, the most lifelike human I've seen. But likeness to 1982 Sean Young not quite there.

Villeneuve directed Loren Peta on set and they used her face for motion capture. They also used Sean Young's face for motion capture and dialogue (this is why she is listed in the credits) and essentially combined information from the two for the digital head which was used on top of the footage of Loren Peta's body. Young also was on set coaching Peta how Rachael would walk.

Very cool. Did not know that.

Back