Premium Format Black Widow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I received my replacement body (undamaged) today as well, and mine is also very snug fitting onto the base. I am really hesitant to force it down. Would the majority of you suggest forcing it down regardless or filing down the peg? The last thing I want to do is to break the same right leg that previously came damaged.

If you try to force a metal peg into a polystone base, you run the risk of cracking the base around the hole that the peg fits into, or possibly damaging the polystone leg that the peg is molded into. It isn't worth it. Forcing the peg in might even break off pieces of the base around the hole. Then if you glue the base pieces back on, you STILL will have a tight fit that you could have fixed by filing the peg. It's possible the hole wasn't made properly, although it is impossible to tell without a pic, but even if it was, it would still be easier to file down the peg to make it fit.
Better to file the peg down a little bit. make it nice and smooth. Maybe the peg has rough edges.

I received my Regular Edition replacement body last Friday. Filed down a bit of the rectangular polystone peg last weekend so that her foot drops into the base with a better fitment. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

24fablk.jpg

2gy7jur.jpg

bhsw7.jpg

24ndxmv.jpg

3468852.jpg

2hedor4.jpg

The hair on toysforlife's and kkchan's seem to be painted very differently. Toysforlife's looks brighter and more glossy, while kkchan's looks more matte and with darker shadows. I think it is more than the lighting.

This statue has a very intricate hair design, which unfortunately seems to lack the look of real hair with the lines that should be sculpted in, to show the stands. The hair on a lot of this type tends to look a lot like play dough, because it takes a lot of work to sculpt even the waves of the hair.
I'm thinking that it might be easier to use a digital sculpt for the hair on these, in order to provide higher quality details at a lower cost. Normally I prefer a hand sculpted statue, but in the case of hair, I'm thinking digital may be the way to go.
In the portraits I've done, I know that drawing hair correctly, with every overlap of the strands and the best representation of the strands takes a really long time, much longer than the face.

It seems to me that it is easy to lose detail of the hair just by handling the wet clay or wax or putty while sculpting it. A digital sculpt would prevent that problem. Locks of hair must be almost impossible to keep stiff enough while sculpting to hold their shape without bending them, so they would need to be guided with the fingers, thus eliminating hair strand detail.

The hair on toysforlife's and kkchan's seem to be painted very differently. Toysforlife's looks brighter and more glossy, while kkchan's looks more matte and with darker shadows. I think it is more than the lighting.

I'm pretty sure the difference is in the lighting. I was using a 70mm macro lens on my DSLR with the built-in flash at close range. I guess I could have used the external flash and bounced it off the ceiling to avoid the shadows behind and to soften the lighting instead of direct, but I was too lazy.

I'm pretty sure the difference is in the lighting. I was using a 70mm macro lens on my DSLR with the built-in flash at close range. I guess I could have used the external flash and bounced it off the ceiling to avoid the shadows behind and to soften the lighting instead of direct, but I was too lazy.

I'm sure most of the difference is the lighting, too, but these are hand painted, and I think they were painted differently, by two different people. I've had replacements that were painted differently, clearly by two different people before. One piece had dramatic shading, and the other had very little, viewed side by side. Being painted differently would be far from unprecedented.

Wow. I just noticed today that my exclusive switch out hand was missing from the packaging. So a broken leg and a missing exclusive from my exclusive. With my luck with this one, Sideshow is going to tell me they're out of replacement Ex hands...

Wow. I just noticed today that my exclusive switch out hand was missing from the packaging. So a broken leg and a missing exclusive from my exclusive. With my luck with this one, Sideshow is going to tell me they're out of replacement Ex hands...

The EX hand was the black pistol, right? Sorry to hear about that man, hopefully you get that straightened out ASAP with Sideshow.

Back