Black Widow (July 9, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's s glorified sidekick with no powers

I do think she got sidelined in the MCU. May have been more interesting had she been harder edged and enhanced as in some of the comics continuities, but between Bucky and Cap I guess they didn't want any more Super-Whatevers running around (until TFWS fiasco anyway).

Scarlett was always a somewhat 'cuter' version of the character anyway. She could smoulder when she wanted to, but was more playful coquette than sultry femme fatale. She lacked the darkness and steel the character should have had.

The wee pistols and glow sticks didn't help.

She's definitely a Disney Princess despite the black-leather and kick-ass spinning.

Coquettish is the perfect descriptor... unfortunately. It's Disney so it would never happen but she does need a much larger dose of whatever Angelina Jolie has -- that dangerous wildcat thing.

The height just never looked right for her as Widow. I always imagined Widow as more lanky. ScarJo is a hottie and has the acting chops for sure...but Moneymaker, her stunt double, really makes her look good in action.

Under Disney, all the Avengers basically devolved to a simpler, more comedic, easier-to-digest version of their comic book selves.

They ALL became funny. Especially Thor. Even Cap, with his ass. In most "Team" movies, there's the "funny guy" -- the comic relief -- that's his job. But in Disney's Marvel, they all became funny.

Goodbye Morons.

The height just never looked right for her as Widow. I always imagined Widow as more lanky. ScarJo is a hottie and has the acting chops for sure...but Moneymaker, her stunt double, really makes her look good in action.

Yeah, definitely too small. In the comics her weight fluctuates a little bit between somewhat athletic and more wasp-waisted, but she's always leggy.

Sometimes I do wonder how things would've turned out if the MCU was much more Ultimates-inspired as originally intended. There was going to be a Widow movie with Jovovich, Clooney was tapped for Fury, and the whole thing began with a very much 2000s feel. I feel that by Avengers things started going in a very "glorified tv movie" route. Strangely, Dr. Strange did feel like an actual movie, it had a different cinematography. I don't know, as time goes on I feel more and more dissapointed. Wasted actors, changed characters, everything becoming too bloated. Iron Man was everywhere yet his rogues' gallery was trashed. Ghost was Ghost in name only, and the Mandarin is a mess. In AM2 they even wasted Fishbourne. Why would you even hire Fishbourne and just make him play some aged up version of Bill Foster, a D-Lister?

Widow, like a lot of MCU characters, just has no bite. She's too sanitised. How many years did the "red in my ledger" line keep being repeated? I swear to God it was in every comic with Widow in it. We were at the age where they were trying to make Coulson a thing. And yet MCU Widow is such a pussycat that I cannot imagine her doing anything that horrific. As the years go by, the MCU really does feel like a sort of Saturday Morning Cartoon version of the comics (but not as good as EMH). Not as actiony/cool as the 1610, not as colourful as the 616, it's just a poor pastiche.

Sometimes I do wonder how things would've turned out if the MCU was much more Ultimates-inspired as originally intended. There was going to be a Widow movie with Jovovich, Clooney was tapped for Fury, and the whole thing began with a very much 2000s feel. I feel that by Avengers things started going in a very "glorified tv movie" route. Strangely, Dr. Strange did feel like an actual movie, it had a different cinematography. I don't know, as time goes on I feel more and more dissapointed. Wasted actors, changed characters, everything becoming too bloated. Iron Man was everywhere yet his rogues' gallery was trashed. Ghost was Ghost in name only, and the Mandarin is a mess. In AM2 they even wasted Fishbourne. Why would you even hire Fishbourne and just make him play some aged up version of Bill Foster, a D-Lister?

They wasted a lot of stuff, but not as much or as badly as the DCEU.
Widow, like a lot of MCU characters, just has no bite. She's too sanitised. How many years did the "red in my ledger" line keep being repeated?
Had no idea what she was talking about. I just thought she was a big Heath Ledger fan or something. :lol
As the years go by, the MCU really does feel like a sort of Saturday Morning Cartoon version of the comics (but not as good as EMH). Not as actiony/cool as the 1610, not as colourful as the 616, it's just a poor pastiche.

The MCU is McDonalds, happy meal and all. You can't expect gourmet level stuff.

They wasted a lot of stuff, but not as much or as badly as the DCEU.
Yeah, fair point. I was never really attached to mainline DCU though, beyond Batman & GL (and the odd B/C-Lister here and there), so it doesn't hit me as much. With DC, I was mostly a Vertigo & WildStorm guy. To this day one of my biggest dissapointments is that we never got a 2000s Michael Bay Authority film. Ellis actually rebooted the Authority some years back and made it even more "diverse" while writing it as a tv pitch. His self-insert Hawksmoor remained a white guy who ****** the two women, but everyone else got a rapid makeover and the world became much less grand and much more boring. Still, 1/6ths of the original team would be amongst my grails. It's a shame so many of my wants are so tied to an era that'll never get any toyetic representation.

Had no idea what she was talking about. I just thought she was a big Heath Ledger fan or something. :lol
But bro, Budapest! Like, what's up with Budapest?! Zeeeoemgeeee I'm just dying to know, haha! Seriously "red in my ledger" and "Budapest" where in every other comic she was appearing. The halfassed synergy of the time was laughable. Bendis killed off War Machine in Civil War 2 (heigh of intelligent writing there) because he saw the trailer for the CW flick and thought they were killing him off there too.

The MCU is McDonalds, happy meal and all. You can't expect gourmet level stuff.
I suppose, yeah. It just lacks an identity so much that it's sad. FoX-Men weren't perfect, but they had their thing. Even the two TASM flicks had their own flair. The MCU is just around. Like the cheap versions of the characters you find in fizzy drink tie-in ads. The more time goes on the more I'm worried about the X-Men and F4. I'm afraid they'll deliver something even worse than Post-DoFP FoX-Men & Fant4stic.

Widow, like a lot of MCU characters, just has no bite. She's too sanitised. How many years did the "red in my ledger" line keep being repeated? I swear to God it was in every comic with Widow in it. We were at the age where they were trying to make Coulson a thing. And yet MCU Widow is such a pussycat that I cannot imagine her doing anything that horrific. As the years go by, the MCU really does feel like a sort of Saturday Morning Cartoon version of the comics (but not as good as EMH). Not as actiony/cool as the 1610, not as colourful as the 616, it's just a poor pastiche.
Which is why I’ll never understand why people would want to watch a movie with this black widow. Say what the hell you want about captain marvel but she is way more interesting than mcu black widow.
This character is absolutely boring as all hell. O I did some bad ****!
so what. Get in line. All the avengers did.

she has this annoying monotone voice and blank expression it’s boring. She’s so boring . Take me back to the days when you couldn’t tell who side she was on or not. Bows she’s just a chick in a tight suit who shoots little guns and scissor drops her foes.

the awful avengers game that came out had a better black widow and that’s saying something.

Black Widow was a lot better than I thought it would be. It was actually pretty darn entertaining and fun.

the final scene, however, ruined the whole thing!

they fought the entire movie to become free of being manipulated assassins, and then they immediately get suckered right back into it! That was so dumb!

Back