Black Widow (July 9, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess you're not a fan of the classic Punisher costume with the white gloves and white boots? That's my personal favorite.

At some point he wore a bandana, but I'm not sure when or why.
Oh no, I love the classic look. It's just that I like him when he uses that but is also more decked out with weapons on top. He used t alternate between the black & white and black & dark grey on the gloves and boots.

The%2BPunisher%2BWar%2BJournal%2B005-010.jpg

IIRC he started wearing the bandana in the 80s, War Journal and the such. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a result of Rambo's popularity.

15800629253_0b4af307cf_o.jpg

That art looks cool. I hope Mafex makes several versions of Punisher. The brown coat also became part of his imagine too, but I didn't like it as a kid. In fact, my first Punisher figure was the Toy Biz version from the early 90s and it came with a brown plastic coat. The first thing I did after opening it was to take the coat off. Now I wish we could get a live action Punisher in the brown coat. I'd also give him a tactical suit like the one Solid Snake wears, but in black with the white 💀 on the chest. I'm tired of seeing him in jeans and a vest.

As good as some of the Punisher versions out there are, they all pale in comparison to the one true version of the Punisher. The one that put him on the map and took him from a D-list to A-list character.

Nothing comes close to Mike Zeck & Steven Grant's Punisher in 1986...

rTBPK1mg_0706171801071gpadd.jpg

Do I see talk about the Punisher?

9e0e46ab4bf345e42670584cdca9444b_w200.gif

Why HE IS ONLY MY FAVORITE CHARACTER!

Well we won't be seeing any new Punisher stuff for a while. The skull is now a guilt by association symbol. Ennis is now high and mighty after making a lot of money off of him. Hate to remind people he is fictional, but people like to take it to a whole new level. Days are gone of the bad*** Arnold/Sly/Van Damme days. Witty and goofy are taking over with inappropriate sexual references. I'd make my suggestion for a Punisher movie, but it won't do any good nowadays. Sad.

As good as some of the Punisher versions out there are, they all pale in comparison to the one true version of the Punisher. The one that put him on the map and took him from a D-list to A-list character.

Zeck is King when it comes to Punisher. I have all of the posters up on a wall and The portfolio plates as well. The one you pictured is a favorite as well as the cover to the first issue of the mini series. My avatar is Zeck art to. My favorite character not that anyone would be surprised by that.

That art looks cool. I hope Mafex makes several versions of Punisher. The brown coat also became part of his imagine too, but I didn't like it as a kid. In fact, my first Punisher figure was the Toy Biz version from the early 90s and it came with a brown plastic coat. The first thing I did after opening it was to take the coat off. Now I wish we could get a live action Punisher in the brown coat. I'd also give him a tactical suit like the one Solid Snake wears, but in black with the white 💀 on the chest. I'm tired of seeing him in jeans and a vest.
I'm trying to stay away from 1/12th and those pricey imports, but a good, fully armed Punisher would be hard to pass up in such a scale. Doom I'll buy in whatever scale and style, so I might buy some "companion pieces" of sorts.
That's Jim lee's Punisher. Love that book, Jim Lee's best work.
For me Lee's still tied to the X-Men, not even WildC.A.T.S. and the such.

It is a classic for sure, but I do like when it's used as a base with extra stuff on top. You can take them off and leave him like that, but you can also give him ammo pouches and a bandana and whatnot. But it is a classic for a reason; it just works.
Do I see talk about the Punisher?

9e0e46ab4bf345e42670584cdca9444b_w200.gif

Why HE IS ONLY MY FAVORITE CHARACTER!

Well we won't be seeing any new Punisher stuff for a while. The skull is now a guilt by association symbol. Ennis is now high and mighty after making a lot of money off of him. Hate to remind people he is fictional, but people like to take it to a whole new level. Days are gone of the bad*** Arnold/Sly/Van Damme days. Witty and goofy are taking over with inappropriate sexual references. I'd make my suggestion for a Punisher movie, but it won't do any good nowadays. Sad.
It's [Current Day], such things are to be expected. They even cancelled the Miami mini which would feature 616 'Cuda. It won't be long before most antiheroes are either banned or downplayed like Red Hood. My favourite is Doom, and he's been getting increasingly "sanitised" too. But honestly, the reason why I like him so much is because he's versatile. You can tell literally any story you want with him, so whenever my mood changes and I switch genres, I never tire of him due to him being a mashup of virtually all genres. He's a perfect mix, so to speak. All others change their spots, go up and down, all depending on the times. Doom's there at his spot no matter what. I'm warry about his MCU debut...

As for Ennis, I can't say I ever much liked him. Too smug and self-righteous. He always has a scene in his books about how capes are awful and Captain America is an insult to real soldiers, when actual soldiers read those things in WW2. I'm not some huge Capefan myself, but his reasoning is too self-absorbed to take seriously. He's obsessed with the badass in a black trenchcoat, he idolises grunts but hates the millitary, he's got the religious opinions of a 13YO who just discovered the internet, and he never, ever shuts up about the same old things. At least Ellis can put out some different stuff. Ennis lives through his OCs the same way as others live through their Capes. Both are ridiculous, but he doesn't get that.

Doom I'll buy in whatever scale and style, so I might buy some "companion pieces" of sorts.

The Mezco Doom is coming soon. Hopefully he comes with some good accessories.

It's [Current Day], such things are to be expected. They even cancelled the Miami mini which would feature 616 'Cuda. It won't be long before most antiheroes are either banned or downplayed like Red Hood. My favourite is Doom, and he's been getting increasingly "sanitised" too. But honestly, the reason why I like him so much is because he's versatile. You can tell literally any story you want with him, so whenever my mood changes and I switch genres, I never tire of him due to him being a mashup of virtually all genres. He's a perfect mix, so to speak. All others change their spots, go up and down, all depending on the times. Doom's there at his spot no matter what. I'm warry about his MCU debut...

Doom better use magic and technology in the MCU.

The Mezco Doom is coming soon. Hopefully he comes with some good accessories.
I'm looking forward to that, but my completionism wants me to get their F4 pack too, even though I can't say I'm terribly interested in it. I'll buy Doom in every scale and whatnot, so I'm preparing for the inevitable Mafex/Revoltech/Whatever. The problem is if I get carried away and start buying other stuff in the same scale(s). With the FF & X-Men coming in the MCU, half of me wants great costumes and accurate casting, and the other half wants them to drop the ball so I won't have to buy the HTs... I feel as if I need to restrict my collection even more at times.
Doom better use magic and technology in the MCU.
I'm sure he'll do that, it's how he's handled beyond the powers that worries me.

I'm looking forward to that, but my completionism wants me to get their F4 pack too, even though I can't say I'm terribly interested in it. I'll buy Doom in every scale and whatnot, so I'm preparing for the inevitable Mafex/Revoltech/Whatever. The problem is if I get carried away and start buying other stuff in the same scale(s). With the FF & X-Men coming in the MCU, half of me wants great costumes and accurate casting, and the other half wants them to drop the ball so I won't have to buy the HTs... I feel as if I need to restrict my collection even more at times.

I don't expect much from the costumes, but their classic costumes are so simple, that Ii can't see them messing that up. Having said that, I'm proud to say that I own zero MCU HT figures. I'm kind of glad too. The designs and costumes just don't do it for me.

I PO'd the Mezco F4 set, but who knows, by the time it comes out, I might cancel it. I wish they were wearing the blue and white uniforms instead, because those are my favorite costumes. I'm also afraid that I'll buy the current set and that they'll re release it with the blue and white costumes. 😖

I'm sure he'll do that, it's how he's handled beyond the powers that worries me.
What's the problem?

I don't expect much from the costumes, but their classic costumes are so simple, that Ii can't see them messing that up. Having said that, I'm proud to say that I own zero MCU HT figures. I'm kind of glad too. The designs and costumes just don't do it for me.
I don't have any as of now either. Well, only the Endgame IM, but that's because he's the closest I'll get to a Modular. I try to be selective, but sometimes I break down because I just "need" to represent the character and close the chapter. The MCU costumes are pretty ugly these days, which makes me worried about the X-Men, but I worry about the casting more. Honestly, I'm scared about the prospect of X-HTs. It's a rabbit hole you can easily fall into and it goes deep. X-Men is a weird property for me so I'm walking on eggshells everytime. I love the concept and many of the stories if I take them in isolation, but as the years have gone by I've grown to dislike the characters and "message" (whatever that message is at this point beyond "it's okay to blow up schools yaaaaas mugga slaaaaaay"). At the same time I can easily see myself just buying things out of sort of nostalgia and coolness.

Generally I'm getting tired of trying to keep up with it all. Figures, Omnibuses/Absolutes, etc. I've drawn up a list and I'm trying to stick to it. So far it's going good, but I still have so many stuff I need to play catchup with. Mostly it's the grind of it all. There are stuff I'm absolutely looking forward to, but most of my Cape buys are a case of just getting it to have it. There's no real attachment, it's my OCD wanting to close the chapter otherwise I won't be able to forget it. But it's hard to keep track of it all. Mostly because if you start with one, then where does it end? Fine, you've got your favourite X-Men in 1/6th. You've spent ~2K on them. Then what? Dou you get their multiple costumes? Do you get the Prime 1 Statues? The XM ones? Where does it end? I can make room and say "you know what, I like Doom and X, Y, Z enough to buy the statues as well" and have a select few pieces. I want to one day have the Sith in 1/6th and get those Sideshow Mythos statues. I genuinely love Tron enough for some reason to want to build a dedicated shelf to it at some point. But if I go about collecting everything about anything, I'll never finish. Even in a hypothetical scenario where I have infinite money and space. Between the character, their comics and collected editions, the figures, the statues and the scales, you'd need a room for every single one of them. It's too much to deal with.

I PO'd the Mezco F4 set, but who knows, by the time it comes out, I might cancel it. I wish they were wearing the blue and white uniforms instead, because those are my favorite costumes. I'm also afraid that I'll buy the current set and that they'll re release it with the blue and white costumes. 😖
Personally I prefer the White & Black look. The classic ones just look too simple to me. I'll probably skip it, but the fact that you can get it with installments on ToysWonderland tempts me. I don't know, I have 2 figures on PO from Sideshow that are supposed to ship on Q1-Q2 of 2022. Then I've got a Tommy Shelby on PO from Big Chief, and I'm going to PO Patrick Bateman. And that's without new things that get announced that might be on my list. If I order from TW, it'll cost me around 500 euros and that's just too much for something I'm not that interested in. It's basically two HTs. I'll probably only get their Doom(s) and wait for the MCU HT FF. I'm just hoping the casting is good...

What's the problem?
For starters he's a literal Balkan Dictator. For sympathy points Kirby made him a gypsy who rebels against the evil baron. It's essentially a story about how us Euros are all evil and gypsies are misunderstood heroes. They do it constantly. Doom, Wanda & Pietro, Magneto, and so on. It'd be like making a Black Panther flick where the Wakandans are evil and the hero is a white guy who overthrows the evil monarchy and then goes on to become their king. At the same time, Kirby's Doom was genuinely an evil and sadistic villain, who had more in line with the average Nazi pulp villain than some enlightened monarch. But people liked his schict, and he started getting more morally grey. The point is, instead of making it a simple class issue where the lowly peasant rises to be king after getting rid of the corrupt monarchy, Kirby added an unneeded racial element, so now you have half the writers writing him as a mixture of Hannibal Lecter, Stalin and every other evil Nazi from the past century, and the other half writing him as some misunderstood guy with a tragic backstory. The thing is, for six decades now the man's been drawn as a Euro (ranging from Western to Southern to Eastern) and his name is Victor Von Doom, even though that's an amalgam of two languages, German & English, and the country's supposed to be in the Balkans. And he's a gypsy so he'd never have that name. Nothing makes any sense.

The MCU has three choices. One, find one of the three actors who have some gypsy ancestry (and all that I could find on the 'net are basically average Slavs that had a gypsy grandma) and lean on some ******** minority allegory. Two, make him a Sokovian who tries to rebuild his country and becomes a Dictator and renames it Latveria, thus angering the twitter crowd. Three, go the Ultimate route and make him a EuroNoble who's a descendant of Dracula and again, anger the twitter crowd, but also make him the token evil white guy who tries to colonise Wakanda. I don't mind him being a villain, I just want to see him do cool stuff and be cast properly.

Personally I've always liked him because he was essentially a hammy villain who was both a mad scientist, AND an evil wizard, AND a philosopher warrior king, AND he had a cool look to boot. Over the years he developed a pretty interesting personality by capeshit standards, and he has history with many of my other favourite characters. He was Iron Man, Batman, Doctor Strange, Lex Luthor and Darkseid thrown into a blender. The backstory was always contrived and I mostly enjoyed his antics. If they politicise him too much, then it could turn out to be a pretty big mistake. Americans romanticise gypsies too much without having a clue about what they're like.

The Balkans are a very delicate issue, considering every country hates every other country around these parts. Then you add class and racial issues and it just becomes a huge mess. Personally, I'd just go the Ultimate route and make him a disgraced noble with ancestry from Dracula and then just play it straight. If I wanted to tie it with the MCU, I'd make it so that he uses the Sokovian incident as a way to anex the land, which was alluded to in TF&WS from Zemo, saying that it's being broken up. There's no need to tackle such sensitive issues, just give us a technowizard in a cool mask.

But really, the most likely scenario is that they'll make him a German, cast someone like Cristoph Waltz, and pit him against Wakanda for extra twitter points for the colonization allegory, while racebending the F4 because they're the good guys. Even if they're adamant about making him a gypsy, I'd swallow it if they cast a Latino like Pedro Pascal or something and call it a day. **** it, I'll even take Dev Patel, the only Indian guy in Hollywood. But if I see Gus Fring governing the Balkans as a guy named Victor Von Doom, I'm burning up my collection and never touching anything pop culture related again.

As for my personal fancast, I'd be fine with lots of people, really. ATM, I'm rooting for Javier Bardem, but there's tons of others.

tumblr_inline_p6ygrrQpOw1r9iq8u_1280.png

Fassbender, Dan Stevens, Viggo, Adam Driver, Rami Malek, Nikolaj, Cillian Murphy, Luke Evans, Rufus Sewell, and the list goes on.

Last edited:
I like to imagine Doom MCU essentially a mix of Red Skull and Loki. Using science and magic as one with intelligence, but also having the vanity that one's with power crave.

I like Bardem out of all of them on the list.

I like to imagine Doom MCU essentially a mix of Red Skull and Loki. Using science and magic as one with intelligence, but also having the vanity that one's with power crave.

I like Bardem out of all of them on the list.
Doom is essentially a genre mashup character, so you can describe him with tons of "X & Y" combinations.

I'm rooting for Bardem because he checks off all the boxes. He can be menacing and charming, he has a cool voice with an accent, he's European and has a face that fits. Most people go for the Danes like Viggo, Nikolaj and the such, and I can see it easily as well, but I think for Doom you need someone more theatrical, who can do subtlety and also chew the scenery a lot. The go-to choice is usually the British, since they have experience with theatre and really can do that exact thing. I held out hope for Bale, but he's going to be a one-and-done in Thor 4, and I don't blame him. For younger talent I was behind Oscar Isaac since I've seen a lot of his films and he has range. There's still tons of people I can see in the role, one way or the other, it just depends on what version they go for. More subdued and "realistic", more unhinged and hammy, whatever it is, you need a different approach.

Really, out of all the rumoured/fancasted names, that run up to 30 or so, the only ones so far that I'm entirely against are the Gus Fring guy and Riz Ahmed. The former because he's just typecast as "le ebin villain" and an Afro-American has no business with a Balkan character. Even if they decide to lean onto the gypsy angle, he'd still have nothing in common with the role. Same goes for Denzel who was thrown out as a name once or twice, because apparently Coogler wanted him in BP2 and they thought they'd adapt DoomWar back then. I like them as actors a lot, but they're not fit for Doom. Gus Fring is literally a 5'7" guy in his 60s. He can do more than just "le ebin mastermind", especially some comedy (watch A Night On Earth), but he's not Doom. It's the same as that rumour about Weasly Snipes playing Dracula. I like Snipes and I'd be up for him appearing in the MCU, but he's got no business playing a Medieval Balkan King. Denzel's just waiting the call for Blue Marvel, there's no reason to fancast him as anything else. Riz Ahmed is just too scrawny and small, too subdued. He's got acting chops, and he did great in Sound Of Metal, but if you wanted a MENA actor you'd be better off with Alexander Siddig. He's around 6ft and has an aura of regality, plus proven acting chops. Malek's on the short side too, but he can get bulky (Mr. Robot S1) and has a lot more flair around him. I could genuinely see him both chew the scenery and be more subdued. Ahmed was the bad guy in Venom and he was utterly devoid of any charisma. Malek's basically Doom in No Time To Die and already has more presence.

At this point we know nothing of what direction they're going for. If they go Ultimate and look for guys in their 30s for the F4 & Doom, people like Malek, Dan Stevens and the such have a bigger chance. If they go for people in their 40s or so, we'd look into the more classic choices. But most are getting up there, Clive Owen is 56 for example and Bardem's 52. My left field choice is Toby Stephens. The moment I watched Black Sails he became one of my favourites. His Captain Flint is just a joy to watch.

EnormousSereneChevrotain-size_restricted.gif

I can throw names out all day, but it doesn't matter when we know literally nothing about what direction they're going for.

I'm not too worried about the Doom casting. I think Feige will nail it. I am worried about the F4 casting.

I'm not too worried about the Doom casting. I think Feige will nail it. I am worried about the F4 casting.
Well, they literally grabbed this guy for Kang:

majors-kang-marvel.jpg

And Mandarin is nothing like the comics. I'm not too optimistic. Part of the fun was that Kang was similar to Reed and Doom and you had this what-if thing going on with Reed, Reed's dad Nathaniel and Doom. Now that's lost, and most importantly that guy has no regality. I can't imagine him as Immortus. I suspect they did it purely to have a black guy ruling Egypt because now Egyptians are black for some reason. I still remember the hissfit tumblr threw when Rami Malek played an Egyptian. Don't get me started on that Exodus film...

Diverse casting is now trumping accurate-to-the-source casting.

Its as bad for villains as the days of mega-stars cast as Bat-villains.
The MCU built its legs in that it was as accurate as possible to the casting and stories (well, not so much there but at least better than the previous capeflicks), but now they've gotten big enough to just throw stuff at the wall and have the addicts lick them off the floor. See ScarJo doing the roles and going on about "muh male gaze" in regards to Black Widow. I just can't bring myself to care anymore. I'm hoping for some good flicks, but I haven't seen an MCU movie in the theatres since Dr. Strange. By the time the F4 & X-Men roll around I hope to be more or less done with Capes, grab Doom and whoever else is cast accurately, and be done with this line.

The MCU built its legs in that it was as accurate as possible to the casting and stories (well, not so much there but at least better than the previous capeflicks), but now they've gotten big enough to just throw stuff at the wall

Yes, my point exactly. And Disney is the enabler. Its now about broadening market-share and inclusivity.

All the characters will change from now on going forward.

Back