Black Friday/Thanksgiving Retail Outrage

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think the wage disparity is important to note, I'm pretty sure we have a substantially higher minimum wage in retail over here - $25 an hour (for a cashier or shop assistant) and add at least time and a half for holiday work. Boutique stores close up on the major holidays, but the larger retail stores remain open. Except on Christmas Day, where it's mostly essential services that stay open. Actually, were retail stores to remain open on Christmas there would be an outcry... maybe it's not so different over here after all.

$25/hour! :horror That's more than I make (not counting my Christmas bonus).

The last thing I want to do on a holiday(or Black Friday) is go shopping. I stay away from the hordes and tend to do most of my shopping online anyway.

The last thing I want to do on a holiday(or Black Friday) is go shopping. I stay away from the hordes and tend to do most of my shopping online anyway.

But what about those poor IT techs that have to work on the holidays so you can do your online shopping, lol.

The cost of living is higher over here, but yeh, you can easily survive on minimum wage. It explains why Australians are such lousy tippers when they travel to the States - most don't "get" tipping.

But what about those poor IT techs that have to work on the holidays so you can do your online shopping, lol.

I shall have a drink in honor of the those IT techs working away so I can do my online shopping.

The cost of living is higher over here, but yeh, you can easily survive on minimum wage. It explains why Australians are such lousy tippers when they travel to the States - most don't "get" tipping.

And your economy is much better since people have money to spend.

I'm betting your cost of living isn't too much higher than ours.

They pay more taxes in Australia due in part to socialized medicine. At least I know it did. I am not aware of any change.

$25 an hour there isn't like $25 an hour in the U.S.

You work when your employer needs to you work.

If you don't like it, find another job. :dunno

I could see if it was on Christmas day, that would be pretty inappropriate. But Thanksgiving? Eh, who cares. Work or quit.

Wouldn't you feel differently if your grandmother was an employee at Kmart, and instead of being with you for Thanksgiving, she's working all day? She's never had to do it before, but Kmart sprang it on her and the rest of the employees this month? Just something to think about. I just hope all the employees are given time off to be with families at some point during the day.

Wouldn't you feel differently if your grandmother was an employee at Kmart, and instead of being with you for Thanksgiving, she's working all day? She's never had to do it before, but Kmart sprang it on her and the rest of the employees this month? Just something to think about. I just hope all the employees are given time off to be with families at some point during the day.

No because my Grandfather whom is now dead fought in world war 2 while my grandmother worked on the farm back home. They wouldn't whine and ***** about having to work if they needed to. So to answer your question again, no.

I think you guys overestimate how easy it is to get another job. And seem rather heartless on top of that. :peace

I loved working holiday when I worked retail. I got paid 8 hours for the day since it was a holiday and the time and half for the hours worked on that day so it was a nice to get the extra cash. But I was also the same guy who would put in insane hours if needed.

cause its all about ME and what I want.
MY OPINION rules and those who disagree are WRONG!
funny-picture-laziness-level-murica.jpg

That's rad:lol

I think you guys overestimate how easy it is to get another job. And seem rather heartless on top of that. :peace

No I was just raised to be a hard worker. Brought up in a military family where I understand sacrifice and hard work. You do what needs to be done to put food on the table. You certainly dont ***** and moan about having a job and the hours you are told to work.

Who said 'easy'? Its just up to them to decide whether it's worth doing something that won't be a cakewalk. You make your own way in this world. If your job sucks, whine to the mirror.

It isn't 'heartless' to tell people that they're the only way out of their situation. It isn't 'heartless' to give them advice that , though perfectly effective, ain't 'easy'. It just seems that way to people that would rather have it 'easy'.

Choose your path. Just don't whine about the path you choose ... and don't whine that your path sucks, but the other paths were too hard.

SnakeDoc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back