Big Chief Thunderbirds & Captain Scarlet

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is unfortunate. I was told by BCS that they had to get to at least 500 preorders to start production

Big Chief has announced that the project is officially cancelled, and will be issuing refunds over the next week. Which sucks for the fans and supporters of this, so my commiserations to those who were looking forward to this set.

Given that it managed to do about as well as any realistic pre-order target would assume (in the 250-350 range), but that it still wasn't good enough for BCS (who now seem set on the idea of preselling everything with zero risk to themselves), it really doesn't bode all that well for any launchpad release going forward, in my view.

Pre-selling an entire run of 700 just doesn't seem realistic for any product or license, not even BCS's biggest hitters like Who and Bond. But BCS has always been oddly blinkered when it came to things that seemed patently obvious to everybody else. Their approach now seems, from the outside at least, predicated on wanting to pre-sell everything so that they don't lose out if the quality of the final product isn't up to scratch, rather than actually taking responsibility for their product and making sure that the quality of the final product is there, so that customers are satisfied and they don't lose sales upon release due to a poor final product. Unless BCS adjust their expectations to more realistic levels going forward (covering the costs of the run plus a profit percentage, rather than completely selling it out), I really can't see something like the Pertwee Third Doctor having a chance, much less the other unmade Doctors. Even the Thirteenth Doctor and Tuxedo Connery Bond, BCS's current heavy hitters, are going to really, really struggle to make anywhere near that target in my opinion, though I truly hope I'm wrong.

The Thirteenth Doctor launches next (and if they have a signature edition lined up, I imagine that will help), so I guess we'll see. Interesting days ahead, regardless...

Such a shame they will never see the light of day. I saw Big Chief Studios left a comment on Facebook that “Anderson fans only seem interested in vehicles” which dents my hope that this line will go much further.

To be honest, as long as they actually produce the rest of the Tracy brothers and Captain Scarlet I will be content.

I don’t think as a business model Launchpad is dead but as stated before, this was not the best choice to start given:

1. The timing pre-Christmas
2. The fact pre-orders are still live for four other figures in the line
3. Large up front cost of buying both figures
4. Collectors seeming divided over the Lady Penelope sculpt

Hopefully they will resurface again in another incarnation.

Can I just clarify on behalf of my friends at BCS that it is just the twin pack Lady Penelope and Parker that is cancelled. Alan, Gordon and John plus Captain Scarlet will be produced as will Live and Let Die. The Thirteenth will be on Launchpad soon, hopefully with a realistic and achievable target figure.

Can I just clarify on behalf of my friends at BCS that it is just the twin pack Lady Penelope and Parker that is cancelled. Alan, Gordon and John plus Captain Scarlet will be produced as will Live and Let Die. The Thirteenth will be on Launchpad soon, hopefully with a realistic and achievable target figure.

Great to hear. Scott and Virgil were my favourite purchases of last year so thrilled to complete the set. Hopefully they arrive a little earlier than the May 2019 date quoted on the site!

another line is finished.....

They do seem disheartened, based on the company’s comments on Facebook.

Although like I said, if the line ends after they produce the four remaining pre-orders on their site, I wouldn’t feel like the line was “incomplete” as you’d get all the Tracy brothers and Captain Scarlet as a stand-alone representation of his show.

This is more of an interesting case study into the economic challenges of a company producing 1/6 figures. The vicious cycle of needing enough pre-orders for the company to have confidence to produce the product, but the reluctance of consumers to part with any money until they see the finished product. It’ll be very interesting to see how the next Launchpad does and whether this was a question of the popularity of the license/Penelope & Parker set, or more the business model itself not inspiring consumers.

I read a BCS comment on Facebook saying "fans don't seem to support preorders lately"

This isn't just the fault of the fans. They've come out with some subpar products of late (Bond nose rubs) as well as lengthy delays. So you can't blame people for wanting to see in hand photos before buying. With Launchpad you're pretty much praying that it turns out ok.

Right - even with a company that has churned out large numbers of high quality figures such as Hot Toys they are a fair number of collectors who wait for in-hand pictures before ordering. And BCS doesn't have anywhere near their level of credibility.

I’m hoping they Have another shot later on at promoting the Penelope and Parker set.
In mean time, based upon their last email, I should have Scarlet in the foreseeable future...
As for the other three Tracy boys, after preordering everything else over the past few years, I’ll wait till these boys are available to buy, of the shelf do to speak.

As a footnote, Scott and Virgil still rank as two of my favorite figures.
F7A79B66-BD2B-4C2E-9987-0A4FAA648CFD.jpg3007134C-6F48-4298-8AF9-D8689EFD5256.jpg

I’m hoping they Have another shot later on at promoting the Penelope and Parker set.
In mean time, based upon their last email, I should have Scarlet in the foreseeable future...
As for the other three Tracy boys, after preordering everything else over the past few years, I’ll wait till these boys are available to buy, of the shelf do to speak.

As a footnote, Scott and Virgil still rank as two of my favorite figures.
View attachment 439755View attachment 439756

They really are flawless. Even down to the artwork on the packaging.

When did the email say Captain Scarlet is due?

They said, April. However, in the same ‘breath’ mentioned nothing was confirmed!!
And yes. I can’t find anything wrong with the Thunderbirds figures.

Very exciting news on their Facebook page. Sounds like a single Parker figure (signature edition) is coming on Launchpad, while they are making tweaks to Lady Penelope so that if he’s successful she can follow at a later date.

Fantastic they are taking into account the feedback from the first Launchpad.

Parker will be on the launchpad - signature edition of 500, priority orders start on April 14

Last edited:
Best of luck for this one, Thunderbirds fans.

If they got 300+ for the failed two pack then hopefully Parker alone should hit whatever their green light target is. And unlike the controversial Lady Penelope, I don't think anyone can argue that they haven't done justice to old Parker.

Thrilled that this is getting a second go. Hopefully it can match or exceed what it got last time.

Only thing which makes me nervous is that if you’re a Gerry Anderson fan this could theoretically be your fifth figure you have on pre-order with them, which is asking a lot.

Ultimately though I can’t resist - Scott and Virgil are fantastic.

I signed up this morning.
I’m not so confident in this teaching it’s target, but I wish it well.

Good point above.
The two TB bros take pride of place in my collection.
As much as I like them, I have Scarlet in preorder for a year now. I was ready to, (but couldn’t make PayPal work) preorder the next three TB bros. So this would make 5 on order, paid for.
Whenever the three bros come out, I will buy them.

Some very promising news for the future of the line - Scott Tracy is now sold out. Given a production run of about 2000, that’s a fantastic accomplishment in a year.

I cannot wait to get the other brothers in my collection.

Here we go again! Another nail-biting launchpad.

Parker’s clocked in 60 pre-orders in 6 hours, which is a promising start.

Such a shame that this seems to have completely stalled on 108 backers - I don't think there has been a change since Friday.

They should have pushed ahead with the Parker/Penelope twin-pack on 320+ supporters, but I understand why they didn't given they didn't want to undermine the viability of the Launch Pad model.

Back