Big Chief Studios BBC Sherlock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still torn on this one... It's asking for Hot Toys price, but still we are talking about replacing the stock body, tightening loose joints, etc, basically doing a kitbashing with the key parts. It seems to me one is better off getting the head and violin loose on evil bay later maybe? Your thoughts?

I haven't had mine yet, but what I've seen of it reminds me of Sideshow's Indy figure, lots of good things in it but you also had to do a lot of kit bashing.

Have bought the body off ebay....
Baffling that a $16 body (including delivery to Oz) is better quality and a better fit than one of the most expensive 1/6 products on the market....but its like night and day in those pics.

Woo :D
20140807_112014.jpg20140807_120109.jpg

Went 20 mi south and picked them up at the local FedEx office. Some quick thoughts:

-Accessories are fantastic. Skull and violin are great. I really love John's too - they add a lot of personality.
-Hands are soft and easy to pose. I like soft hands - they are far easier to work in to a realistic pose. It is also nice and easy to swap hands - this is not one of those figures that you will never swap hands out due to fear of breakage.
-Outfits are less than impressive. Sherlock's coat and I do not get along - it needed a ton of futzing. I did get it to look nice, but it took a ton of work. His blazer is pretty bad - very bulky with a thick liner. I'd suggest swapping it for a different black blazer. I took it off for posing with the coat and it made a world of difference.
-GAHHH those bodies. John's elbow fell out and Sherlock's feet will not stay in their sockets. Body swap incoming for Sherlock.
-GREAT presentation value. The stands connect together to allow the figures to stand close together - something tough to do with HT oval stands or even their huge DX stands. Art print from BCS is also nice. Everything seems very lovingly put together for Sherlock fans - barebones HT box this is not.

Overall I am pleased. Paint could be better - they look a bit substandard next to some of my HT and custom pieces, but they don't look like Tonner dolls either. The texture is there, it is just subtle. I wish Sherlock had a bit more expression painted in to his eyes - he looks a bit zoned out.

Again, these were clearly made with love. I like them quite a bit.

Ooh just arrived.
I Like the giant slipcase the signed numbered pair comes in.
No time to open now

My numbered pair will (hopefully) arrive today. I have a crapload of bodies lying around itching to try for a switchout. I'm thinking the best for Sherlock might be the old TTL 2.0 - Love it for skinny, tall characters - I always put my Spock's on 'em.

Also still waiting. :impatient: I'm just too excited. :lol

Edit: Aaand there's the FedEx email.

Last edited:
I got mine! I'm at work, so I basically unpacked the outer shipping box, looked at the boys in their mini prisons, then put it all back together so I can take it home, BUT I can give some initial thoughts.

Packaging: Really nicely designed. I like the way the accessories are listed as 'clues' as if in Sherlock's "Detective Vision" or whatever you want to call it. The wraparound background/cover is a nice idea, and I like that the numbered pairs come with an additional wraparound to label them. The outer box is nice and sturdy. The pictures on the box, though, are somewhat low resolution, including the backgrounds, unfortunately - you can definitely see pixelization in the images. At this price point, that shouldn't happen in my opinion, but since I'm not going to display them, it's a minor point for me. It also looks like the nose rubs may be a common thing...I couldn't tell if mine have them, but I could see that the baggie around the heads was scuffed in front of the nose, more on Watson than Sherlock in this case. So as the primary purpose of packaging - getting the figures here safe - they may have failed. I think the culprit may be the lack of any tie-down (or 'snap-in' in some Hot Toys boxes) to prevent the figure from rattling, but I won't say definitively til I get a better look tonight.

Paint: Again, I'll get a better look later, but at first glance it actually looks pretty good. It's very subtle, and I may add a few touchups, but they don't need a repaint. It's very cleanly done, I definitely wouldn't say it's doll-like. Definitely better in-hand than in pictures.

'Special Gift' Lithograph: Nice, matted, seems to be a normal size so you can get an off-the-shelf frame cheaply to put it up. I think it was a great pack-in bonus. Funny, this is printed at a high resolution, no pixelization here - wonder if there was some problem with the packaging printouts...to me, I would've rather seen that upgraded.

All in all, I was worrying about being highly disappointed based on some of the shots, and so far, I'm still very happy. Can't say anything about the bodies yet, of course, and I'll post my other thoughts tonight.

One final note: I think Sherlock INTENTIONALLY comes with his feet unattached. FYI!

Oh, and I've got numbered pair number 008/200! Whoop!

I have been Sher-locked! Overall, I'm incredibly pleased with both figures. Over the moon, really. After waiting for so long for them, I'm happy to say that they did not disappoint. Here are some quick pics I took over lunch.

Sherlock: I think the paint on the heads is great. In person, it's SO different than what I've seen in most of the pics so far. On Sherlock, the texture and paint are subtle, but I think they look superb.

For the clothes, I did have to slightly redress him for everything to lay a bit better. I tucked in his shirt. I also just crossed the scarf over itself instead of tying it because it looked more natural to my eye. The coat is a wee bit thick, but Sherlock will hold poses with it on, and if you futz with it some, it lays naturally.

I actually did go ahead and order another body just in case this one didnt' work out. But after playing with the clothes, Sherlock doesn't look neckless as in some pics I'd seen. So I'm less inclined to change the body now. His ankles and legs are a bit loose. But since I always use stands to display my figures that's not too much of an issue.

Accessory-wise, these figures really shine. The paint on the production violin can't match the hand-painted proto, of course, but it's very nicely realized anyway. I might have gone for a wire instead of a string on the bow just to look a bit more scale, but it's not bad. The caebook is awesome! I love that you can actually open it up and it has pages! It's cool that he has some nice big pockets to put accessories in. The skull is great as well.

14850585644_875e97451f_b.jpg

14666419999_54003ce783_b.jpg

14666420279_2603cf12bb_b.jpg

14666420318_4b1188b64a_b.jpg

on the other hand... My Watson is AMAZING!!! his clothes are all sitting very nicely... and I giggled with glee at the tea stains inside his mug! that's ridiculously cool!! so small a thing... but made me SO happy... I can't explain it at all...

First pics that do the figure paintjob justice. Bravo! :clap

Thanks! I tried. :) It really is hard to kind of capture, but it's so clear in person. It's just so subtle it's easy for stuff to get washed out.

Watson is pretty much perfect out of the box. The clothing is pretty much perfect and fits well.
Paint-wise, he's dead on. I think he looks like a little Martin Freeman. The expression is great. I love all of Watson's accessories. The laptop is really cool looking. The cup might be my favorite. I sort of wish he had a holster for a gun, but that's pretty minor and you can find that elsewhere. I'm glad they concentrated on more specific accessories.
Love the rubbery hands on these guys. It makes switching hands a snap, and they look much more natural in posing, too.
So, yeah, all in all... really, really pleased. Having them in hand, I think it's much more likely I'll order Moriarty now.

14666516688_7f691da098_b.jpg

14666448280_85b4a34320_c.jpg

14830146786_9ed5cd745d_b.jpg

14850678904_3119f32579_b.jpg

14666447570_b79448a702_b.jpg

Back