Big Chief Studios BBC Sherlock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too lazy to read through the pages before, I love the sculpt on these two, just powered through both series and loved all of them and hope we can get a Moriarty from them too! Definitely in for both.

According to the Radio Times, Steven Moffat has said that the ending of series 3 will leave fans as frustrated as they were for previous series (https://www.radiotimes.com/news/201...s-a-puzzling-climax-to-sherlocks-third-series).

This is great news for BC's Sherlock figures - previously most people have thought that the next series would be the last, because of the growing stardom of the leads. If it was definitely the last, that might put people off from buying figures from a dead franchise. But if there's at least the possibility of a future series that should help sales as people like buying in to something that's still current.

I had heard that Moffat wanted to leave it open so they can come back and make stories with these two leads from time to time for decades to come.

I had heard that Moffat wanted to leave it open so they can come back and make stories with these two leads from time to time for decades to come.

I heard that too, but I didn't believe it given the careers of the two leads have gone supernova. Nice to get confirmation from Moff that he will be leaving things open.

Seems like every time this falls off the front page and then comes back someone new joins the conversation - makes me think that the level of 'consumer awareness' of these figures is nowhere near high enough.

Oh, I'm sure it's not. I think once we get pics of the completed prototypes it'll help.

I know that I talked with the woman who runs 'cumberbatch web', and showed her the sculpts and she had NO idea this sort of thing even existed! once there are fig pics, and she shares them with the masses, and they circulate, people are gonna be snatching these up who have NEVER dabbled in this type of thing before! people are starving for Sherlock merch, and this could very well be the top of the heap!!

The sculpts are superb , I am going to begin getting together the bodies and clothes for them. So glad this series has been a hit , well scripted , perfect casting and an intelligent modern day take on Holmes. I am definitely in for both.

Sent from my iPad

^
Unless you are not a fan of BCS tailoring and base bodies, or you just like kitbashing things; i don't see why you would need to get the bodies and clothes together.

I know that I talked with the woman who runs 'cumberbatch web', and showed her the sculpts and she had NO idea this sort of thing even existed! once there are fig pics, and she shares them with the masses, and they circulate, people are gonna be snatching these up who have NEVER dabbled in this type of thing before! people are starving for Sherlock merch, and this could very well be the top of the heap!!

Actually that's my worry, that the masses otherwise known as Benedict's female fans, will take all the Sherlock figures and leave only the Watson figures for the rest of us :horror, good job Big Chief are considering selling them as a set, might be the only way some of us get our hands on them, the figures that is, not the female fans. :lol

The sculpts are superb , I am going to begin getting together the bodies and clothes for them. So glad this series has been a hit , well scripted , perfect casting and an intelligent modern day take on Holmes. I am definitely in for both.

Sent from my iPad

Exactly - this poster obviously doesn't realise that these are licensed figures not custom sculpts. But these will sell to many people who don't usually buy action figures. I wonder if BC could tie up a distribution deal with someone outside the mainstream, to sell to people who know nothing of 1/6 figures and would never even enter a Forbidden Planet - like John Lewis for instance, or even Argos (as a web exclusive, ie not as a regular stock item).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPpYDHQVp9c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPpYDHQVp9c[/ame]

And quite a few boys too...

It was interesting to see the responses to the photo of the heads going up on FB. It was clear that more than half of these people had never seen a blank sculpt before (lots of comments about Weeping Angels) so presumably weren't figure collectors.

And poor old Martin Freeman! People love him too, you know!

I'm really curious to see if those Benedict fans would really pony up the $250+ for a figure. Are they aware of the cost? Let's face it, our niche is a very small group willing to pay so much for an action figure. It's especially more difficult to reel in a new person in who is not really familiar with this type of collectible. It's one thing for them to collect posters, magazines, DVDs, and maybe original artwork based on their favorite actor. But it's another for them to be able to wrap their heads around an action figure being over $200.

I say this because I was on a forum for my favourite band Duran Duran (screw you, I think they're brilliant! :pfft:) and the subject of custom Duran Duran figures came up. They were just thinking of taking a Ken doll and having someone make custom clothes. I came in and suggested they visit this site and seek out a tailor here and possibly think about commissioning a sculptor for the headsculpts. I also took the opportunity to show them the marvelous world of high-end 1/6 figures by showing them HT's Michael Jackson figures and some of Medicom's Rock figures. Everyone was blown away by the fantastic quality and likenesses. They were extremely impressed across the board. Not one negative criticism. However, once they got to the price, everyone backed off completely. These are people who spend hundreds and sometimes thousands to see shows, buy autographs, memorabilia, rare records, etc. But they just couldn't fathom spending that kind of money on a "doll", no matter how good it was. And that was when the figures were still under $200!

So I have to wonder if those fans would really put their money where their mouths are when the time comes.

Anyway, on another note, I just listened to the Hottoycast from Eamon which had Mark Andrews from Big Chief as a special guest. He addressed everything he wrote about on this thread and more. The guy totally won me over. I could tell he really cared about the Sherlock property (and Dr. Who) just by his going out to find the best artists in the business to work on his projects. But listening to him talk about the properties and what they are doing really showed his passion for the work. It isn't just a job or business for them. They are doing it out of love. I wish them nothing but great success and I'm really looking forward to Sherlock, which I have been swayed to commit to based on the interview. I want to show my support for what they do and how they do it--with integrity and care.

They also mention a few dream licenses they are trying to acquire. And let me tell you, they are shooting for the moon! I really hope they get them. I encourage you guys to listen to the podcast. Great stuff. Kudos to Eamon and the gang for putting together a great show.

I say this because I was on a forum for my favourite band Duran Duran (screw you, I think they're brilliant! :pfft:) and the subject of custom Duran Duran figures came up. They were just thinking of taking a Ken doll and having someone make custom clothes. I came in and suggested they visit this site and seek out a tailor here and possibly think about commissioning a sculptor for the headsculpts. I also took the opportunity to show them the marvelous world of high-end 1/6 figures by showing them HT's Michael Jackson figures and some of Medicom's Rock figures. Everyone was blown away by the fantastic quality and likenesses. They were extremely impressed across the board. Not one negative criticism. However, once they got to the price, everyone backed off completely. These are people who spend hundreds and sometimes thousands to see shows, buy autographs, memorabilia, rare records, etc. But they just couldn't fathom spending that kind of money on a "doll", no matter how good it was. And that was when the figures were still under $200!

So I have to wonder if those fans would really put their money where their mouths are when the time comes.

Firstly, there is nothing wrong with the band Duran Duran. My wife is a big fan, we have been to see them many times and 'Ordinary World' remains one of my favourite songs of all time.

Secondly, That's a telling example that you have chosen and one that I think exposes the passion that 1:6 fans have for the medium. It is not one that will be shared by all, even as you say, with characters taken from such a person's own realm of preferences.

Mad Old Lu said:
Anyway, on another note, I just listened to the Hottoycast from Eamon which had Mark Andrews from Big Chief as a special guest. He addressed everything he wrote about on this thread and more. The guy totally won me over. I could tell he really cared about the Sherlock property (and Dr. Who) just by his going out to find the best artists in the business to work on his projects. But listening to him talk about the properties and what they are doing really showed his passion for the work. It isn't just a job or business for them. They are doing it out of love. I wish them nothing but great success and I'm really looking forward to Sherlock, which I have been swayed to commit to based on the interview. I want to show my support for what they do and how they do it--with integrity and care.

They also mention a few dream licenses they are trying to acquire. And let me tell you, they are shooting for the moon! I really hope they get them. I encourage you guys to listen to the podcast. Great stuff. Kudos to Eamon and the gang for putting together a great show.

Intriguing. I would love to listen in on this. Could you direct me to it please ? :wave

You have a point, MOL, but I got the impression that the Who figures gained a few converts to the action figure side. A friend of mine bought her first action fig when 10 came out, just because it was 10 and not because she likes action figures and she can't be alone. I think there is a greater market outside of us sad obsessives. No idea how big it is, though.

I must get around to listening to the podcast. Have heard good things about it.

And Duran Duran? :horror Shouldn't say that, having just been to see Kraftwerk. We are a strange bunch of old codgers on here, aren't we?

I think Dr. Who fans might be an easier group to get to collect figures than Sherlock fans. Dr. Who already has all sorts of toys available. It wouldn't be too much of a leap for them to escalate to higher end collectibles.

And yes, you (and everyone on this forum!) must listen to this podcast! It's kinda like listening to the forum, except everyone is nice to each other!

Ah, Kraftwerk! Nothing like late 70s early 80s electronica!

listening now... but had to download it, and couldn't find any other eps... is there a link to the list of podcasts?!

Back