Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

I'm an aussie too, and by my estimation it cost me something like $675 for the pair, counting initial deposits and shipping and fluctuations in the exchange rate. And not counting 4 lots of credit card charges (1 for each deposit, and 1 for each final payment). Even as a life long Doctor Who fan going back to when I was a wee nipper in the 70's, who has every classic Who dvd release, and all the series sets of the new series, as well as other merchandise (including a couple of Who statues), it's really hard to justify the cost on these. Really hard.

I'll tell you one thing though, if I do continue buying, I'll only do so if the likenesses and outfits are truly spot on, and even then I'll be limiting myself to only the various incarnations of The Doctor. Maybe the DelGado and Ainsley Masters, at a push.

Hell, I can't even justify my favourite companions at this price range, let alone the monsters, which makes me rather sad. And the first time they mess up a version of The Doctor that'll likely be my exit point, as I feel like I'm on an all or nothing Doctors path now, but at the same time I won't pay this kind of money for a second rate product. So if they do an Amy Pond level mess up with one of The Doctors, that'll probably be it for me. Hell, I'm already borderline on the Tom Baker piece (likeness wise), though hoping it looks better in hand.

I really hope I'm happy with these when I get them, I need something to inject some hope and positivity back into collecting this line again. Right now I'm too focussed on how much it's costing me, which is usually a bad sign for any collection.

Last edited:

I want this, but it's just too expensive for me. Gotta settle for a smaller scale.

I'm an aussie too, and by my estimation it cost me something like $675 for the pair, counting initial deposits and shipping and fluctuations in the exchange rate....I really hope I'm happy with these when I get them, I need something to inject some hope and positivity back into collecting this line again. Right now I'm too focussed on how much it's costing me, which is usually a bad sign for any collection.

I hear ya. A couple of things have happened to me in the past year or so: my disposable income has fallen and 1/6 prices have risen.

I'm picking this up because Tom Baker was a huge part of my childhood TV, not so much because I'm a big Who fan. Which is a relief, because no way could I extend the line past this. Though I'd make an exception for an awesome darlek and cyberman.

I'm making some allowance on the likeness because I like the expression - in the pics it looks like it has lots of character. But you're absolutely right, this price point demands a high-end result. Hopefully in a week or two we'll be too busy feeling warm and fuzzy at unboxing a great figure to worry about the hole in our wallets :duff

Well I took the plunge and paid for both 4 and 10. Bring it!

If these really do arrive by xmas, I just might give them to my daughter who has become a huge fan in the past year. Apparently the new doctors are quite popular among teenagers - who knew?

I hear ya. A couple of things have happened to me in the past year or so: my disposable income has fallen and 1/6 prices have risen.

I know that feeling, as one look at my decimated list of POs shows. Fully understood there, my friend.

I'd make an exception for an awesome darlek and cyberman.

:wink1: Your John Barrowman impression is getting really great!! :hi5:

we'll be too busy feeling warm and fuzzy at unboxing a great figure to worry about the hole in our wallets :duff

:duff "Mooney, first bottle's on me....let me get my hat!"

I do wonder though, about thoughts of branching out away from just the Doctors too soon. Amy did not turn out the way anyone would have wanted...BCS or the fans. So, to announce the intention to once again move away from the core product give pause to wonder if it is a good idea.

The idea of a good range of villain figures is indeed an appealing one, but let's get a few more Doctors out and show the real full strength of this line first.

Despite the fact that no one is saying anything as yet...you can just bet that BCS are furiously working on getting a licence to a John Hurt likeness/figure off the ground and running. So in the interim we will have the Hartnell figure and what...the Ecclestone and McGann figures?

THEN...then maybe an Angel or a Dalek, or if a Master figure...an out-of-the-park Delgado figure.

I thought you were cutting back... Haha!!
I'm in for anything Who if I'm honest with myself.
I really want a Doctors first, at least one DALEK, a Cyberdude and Delgado.

How about a signature edition of the Cybercontroller as a companion piece to a second Doctor. And a companion that would be cool, and he would love to do it, would be a Frazer Hines Jamie.

I thought you were cutting back... Haha!!
I'm in for anything Who if I'm honest with myself.
I really want a Doctors first, at least one DALEK, a Cyberdude and Delgado.

How about a signature edition of the Cybercontroller as a companion piece to a second Doctor. And a companion that would be cool, and he would love to do it, would be a Frazer Hines Jamie.

:lol Yes, it is much shorter! I've shed IM figures, Robocop figures, it's all very depressing...I'll be able to tell my Doctor about it after the 12th!

:wink1: Your John Barrowman impression is getting really great!! :hi5:

johnny-depp-pirates.jpg

I hear about cutting back. Prices keep going up, international shipping is sky-rocketing again (even through the likes of Sideshow), local currency conversion rates are plummeting, all in all I'm just glad I'm pretty well satisfied with most of what I have already collected over the past few years.

I even had to do some serious re-evaluation of my collecting going forward, and shed a couple of long anticipated Sideshow pre-orders a while back (the Batman and Superman pf's), which brought me down to three high end pre-orders left for next year, and I can't see jumping on too many others beyond that unless something truly unmissable comes along.

I would like to eventually have all 12 Doctors on my shelf, quality and luck permitting, but I can't see myself going much beyond that with Big Chief, at least for items at these prices. Looking forward to seeing Hartnell, wonder if they'll try for a B&W version for the exclusive...

I am at this moment, using the Force. You will do a Black and a White special edition of the First Doctor.

Well I took the plunge and paid for both 4 and 10. Bring it!

If these really do arrive by xmas, I just might give them to my daughter who has become a huge fan in the past year. Apparently the new doctors are quite popular among teenagers - who knew?

Yes! This! A hundred percent this! I gave my nine year old daughter an Eleven for her birthday - it was a bit of a gamble but she absolutely loved it and has had it on display ever since. Seriously, you won't regret it.

And that way I can justify the cost of the figures to my wife as being - xmas gifts!

:monkey3

I hear about cutting back. Prices keep going up, international shipping is sky-rocketing again (even through the likes of Sideshow), local currency conversion rates are plummeting, all in all I'm just glad I'm pretty well satisfied with most of what I have already collected over the past few years.

I even had to do some serious re-evaluation of my collecting going forward, and shed a couple of long anticipated Sideshow pre-orders a while back (the Batman and Superman pf's), which brought me down to three high end pre-orders left for next year, and I can't see jumping on too many others beyond that unless something truly unmissable comes along.

I would like to eventually have all 12 Doctors on my shelf, quality and luck permitting, but I can't see myself going much beyond that with Big Chief, at least for items at these prices. Looking forward to seeing Hartnell, wonder if they'll try for a B&W version for the exclusive...

Yea, costs all along the line with 1/6th are starting to get a little out of hand. Costs contine to rise, yet what most of us get paid dosn't change :lol

Makes one think, but i digress.

I'll be getting out of the hobby as a whole for the next few years, ( clearing out the debt, baby number 2, and buying a house. I guess you could say I'm starting to collect Children and space instead :lol ) come back and scour the secondary market to get the things i miss.

Hopefully the hobby dosn't completely implode under the weight of these prices in that time. JUST The biggest offenders. :wink

I'm starting to get worried with more people saying the baker version isn't a very good likeness. The eyes always bugged me(no pun) but seeing the weird facial hair shadow and squished head aren't encouraging signs

Email reminder:
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED YOUR BALANCE & SHIPPING PAYMENT YOU MAY DISCARD THIS EMAIL

Dear customer,

We have received payments from a number of customers, who have remitted their outstanding balance only.

Please note that shipping must be paid before we can ship your figure(s) out to you.

We are now able to offer lower shipping rates, faster transit times, priority shipping and order tracking.

In addition we are also able to offer Combined Shipping for up to 4 items per consignment. At this time combined shipping is available by product type only, i.e 1:6 Scale Figures or Dynamix Figurines, not a combination of each.

For full details on how to add and pay for standard or combined shipping please click here.

If you have any questions please email [email protected]

Thank you

The BIG Chief Team

I'm starting to get worried with more people saying the baker version isn't a very good likeness. The eyes always bugged me(no pun) but seeing the weird facial hair shadow and squished head aren't encouraging signs

Watch the video posted up thread. Everyone who has seen it has said the face looks a little pinched compared to the prototype. The only people getting themselves in a panic are people who have never seen it but who are exaggerating the words of those who have.

Watch the video. That is what we are getting. He looks great.

Remember you're watching an in most cases highly compressed video. Half the quality's gone and ratio gets messed up or warped.

Watch the video posted up thread. Everyone who has seen it has said the face looks a little pinched compared to the prototype. The only people getting themselves in a panic are people who have never seen it but who are exaggerating the words of those who have.

Watch the video. That is what we are getting. He looks great.

The confusion stems, as well, from Greggo that it looks just like the prototype which implies no pinched sculpt at all.

Last edited:

Anyone any clue as to when these will actually start shipping? (I paid in full in July and paid for the postage 8 days ago and according to the BCS site it has not yet been shipped) usually when a company has the stock and been paid in full they ship product within 1/2 days, waiting 8 days and counting seems a bit off.

Anyone any clue as to when these will actually start shipping? (I paid in full in July and paid for the postage 8 days ago and according to the BCS site it has not yet been shipped) usually when a company has the stock and been paid in full they ship product within 1/2 days, waiting 8 days and counting seems a bit off.

If they have already said that the date for payment has been extended to the 12th so that more folks can fully pay for theirs and still get it in time for the holidays...I'd guess that these will not ship until after the 12th.

That's how I read it anyway, it was the first thing that occured to me. Now I'm not saying that it isn't a long time to wait...I have paid in full too (for my #10) and I want my dolly right now!

"EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE, Sonic Screwdriver PEEOO PEEOO!!!!"

Whoops, sorry about that.

Back