Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

You know, I've been checking in on this thread every time I get an email notification because I'm anxiously awaiting people recieving their Fourth Doctor figure and posting reviews and hopefully pictures. I do this because I'm trying to decided on whether on not I want to spend that kind of money on the figure. I go back and forth daily.

But I have to say this type of picking at each other is incredibly off-putting. Not only do I not want to check into the forum because of it, but I most cetainly do want to ask or post anything that may be taken as a critism of the figure. And I know you guys don't want to discourage anyone from buying the figure, it's just how it comes off to an outsider.

On the hand, every one here seems lovely, so I do continue to check in. And please, go back to discussing Tom's episodes- I'm thoroughly enjoying that conversation. :D

Well this is a discussion forum. We are discussing. If you are waiting for a plethora of "I got him!!! ZOMG" posts, those won't be starting for another 2 weeks. In the meantime, forgive us while we have a spirited discussion to while away the weeks.

Well this is a discussion forum. We are discussing. If you are waiting for a plethora of "I got him!!! ZOMG" posts, those won't be starting for another 2 weeks. In the meantime, forgive us while we have a spirited discussion to while away the weeks.

My apologies. I shouldn't have said anything.

My apologies. I shouldn't have said anything.

No, you're more than welcome to come in a make comments, of course you are. The more the merrier in fact, so no need to apologise over it.

Though, in truth Pixletwin is technically correct on the larger mass "Gee Whiz, it's great" in hand comments not starting for another couple of weeks, that's no reason to hold off.

I am just sorry I did not have the available cash to pay for both in one go - having to prioritise either Baker or Tennant and opting for Tennant - or my "Golly Gosh Gee" comments would be twofold! :)

Not all of us argue all the time. Just most of us do most of the time. :D

Welcome to the thread and happy holidays.

As my daddy used to say....

"You can't fool some of the people all of the time, no wait...you can't fool most of the people for all of....you can fool alot of the people but...oh what the hell. You were adopted anyway!!"

So you'll have to forgive me if I accept the word of several people I know who own the piece over the word of someone who looked at it as they passed by BCS's booth and felt reproved because the staff didn't indulge to address their concerns in the midst of a busy event.

"Indulge?" Dear lord. I've paid for one of these daft things and for me right now it's a hell of a lot of money to squander on a 'Dolly' so of course I'm going to want it to be the best that it can be. :lol

Tom was my fav Doctor who I met many times with during his Who rein and so thats the only reason I got this. To back up my memories of that time in my life.

My friend at the celebration event and walked away with both the the Tennant and Baker figs. Sadly he doesn't want to open the boxes to take a photo of it, or I'd be sticking a snap up on here for further inspection.

I wasn't referring to you as being in a panic. If I were referring to you the adjective I would have chosen would have been "picky".

Sorry imo I'm being "picky" for the above reason. If the damn thing only cost a few quid I wouldn't be half as bothered.

Add that with the fact I've always given a hundred percent when it came to my work and so I'm afraid I have a sad tendency expect the same from others.

As pix pointed out, this is a discussion forum, you had every right to express your disappointment.

What they said. You Cannot expect everybody to agree with you 100% of the time. My point wasn't to say that you can't express your opinion but that you shouldn't expect others to not express theirs because it differs from your own. You also should not expect anything you say to go unchallenged, nor think those you do are merely trolling you. I love reading Sue's posts. Sometimes I disagree with them but that doesn't mean I don't wish her to post.

If we had to agree all the time, what a bland place this would be IMO.

Last edited:

You know, I've been checking in on this thread every time I get an email notification because I'm anxiously awaiting people recieving their Fourth Doctor figure and posting reviews and hopefully pictures. I do this because I'm trying to decided on whether on not I want to spend that kind of money on the figure. I go back and forth daily.

But I have to say this type of picking at each other is incredibly off-putting. Not only do I not want to check into the forum because of it, but I most cetainly do want to ask or post anything that may be taken as a critism of the figure. And I know you guys don't want to discourage anyone from buying the figure, it's just how it comes off to an outsider.

On the hand, every one here seems lovely, so I do continue to check in. And please, go back to discussing Tom's episodes- I'm thoroughly enjoying that conversation. :D

No, please do, go for it, who gives a **** what anyone else thinks? Post what you like!!!! Your view is your view. I'm picky as ****, especially when something costs as much as these figures; I'm also a fan of BC, so I try to be constructive, but if I don't like something I say it. This thread will die if a small group of us make other people feel they can't join in and express themselves, and if we've given that impression then I - like everyone else who has commented - hope that isn't really the case

I can see Sue's point of view on Tom but I also think the figure really captures his character and if I had the money I'd get it for that reason. But I can see why that wouldn't be enough for some people, and that's a valid view.

As for Tom's episodes, for me it's basically the first three seasons, plus Season 17... I've got no time for anything else but I love those stories, and Tom is just magnificent in them. To me Pertwee was like Adam Adamant or James Bond, but there's no one like Tom.

And Daron, don't change your sonic noise for me... we just have to make sure we don't use them at the same time or we'll end up cancelling each other out and NOT reversing the polarity of the neutron flow!

Add that with the fact I've always given a hundred percent when it came to my work and so I'm afraid I have a sad tendency expect the same from others.

Nothing sad about it, but I think the problem is that however well BC do their job they are dependent on people in China to execute their designs.

Call me ignorant, but doesn't a factory send them a production sample? How are they meant to know whats going on otherwise?

Any regular who frequents these threads knows that I never hesitate to rake BC's feet over the coals when they deserve it. You may also notice that I defend them when they deserve it.

In the next few weeks we'll all be getting our Toms and posting pics. Maybe it will be the disaster Sue seems to be suggesting. Maybe it will be great. Maybe it will be somewhere in the middle.

I think the pictures look good and I'm excited for the piece. We'll see how it turns out. If it is a disaster, that will probably be the end for BC as far as most of us are concerned. You're only allowed one Pondgate. If it turns out great, BC will have proven themselves.

Let's wait those few weeks.

Call me ignorant, but doesn't a factory send them a production sample? How are they meant to know whats going on otherwise?

Yes, but dealing with Chinese vendors is like stepping through the looking glass. Even massive companies like Hasbro and Mattel get stuff shipped back to them - not samples but entire runs - that makes the company think 'WTF?'. One reason Hot Toys are so good is that they speak the same language, live on the factory's doorstep, and stand over them until they get it right. That's why I thought Eleven came out so well - really close to the best in the business by a first time start up from the UK. That's why I support BC, they've proved they can cut it.

I think I'm going to take Niceman's advice and wait for everything to hit before I comment anymore, but that doesn't mean I'm downplaying your opinion or anything.

As for Tom being another Pondgate already I think its clear from the video that he couldn't be anything like that... but as for how good he is I'm going to wait and see now.

Some seem to be exaggerating my words here. Im in no way saying that this looks like another 'Pondgate' to me. The face just didn't seem the same as the prototype to me in that it seemed thinner in the face, that and imo the lips seemed a tad too dark and the scaf colour looked wrong.

If you compared it to the shot on the back of the box it definitely looked like something had been 'lost' in the manufacturing process, thats all.

Last edited:

Realistically, I don't expect the production units to match up to the prototype. The proto is a custom figure, hundreds of hours by the best talent BCS have are the result of *that* figure.

We can only hope the final product will be close. Looks that way from what I've seen.

Realistically, I don't expect the production units to match up to the prototype. The proto is a custom figure, hundreds of hours by the best talent BCS have are the result of *that* figure.

Couldn't disagree more with this statment, we are talking high end , top quality, expensive collectables here, for me the prototype figure is there to demonstrate exactly what I will be getting for my money not saying "this is our 1 off custom and yours won't be this good" there's little point in showing prototypes otherwise, if anything production pieces should be better than prototypes not worse.

Fair enough, but I think that's unrealistic. Since when has a proto ever been exactly if not better that what you get?

$300 bucks isn't expensive when you look at the final cost of some custom figures out there. Hell, you could pay that much for Tom's jacket alone.

Mass production brings down the price for us, and details get lost along the way.

Mass production brings down the price for us, and details get lost along the way.

Well there's 'details' and there's 'details'. And If these things end up being too far off the mark, well I won't be getting anymore then. :)

Even if it was perfect, an exact duplicate of the prototype, some people would still complain. Just the nature of the beast.

I only have to go on the production sample we've seen. It's better quality to the screencaps from the video and it looks great to me.

But maybe it will be terrible. We'll all find out soon!

Back