Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #13 Jodie Whittaker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Thirteen is going to be a Launchpad or crowdfunding thing right? So you have to participate in order to get one kind of like Kickstarter? What are the odds then that things like her TARDIS won't get made since it's not an actual release?

So Thirteen is going to be a Launchpad or crowdfunding thing right? So you have to participate in order to get one kind of like Kickstarter? What are the odds then that things like her TARDIS won't get made since it's not an actual release?

I was just wondering the EXACT SAME THING. I have to have her Police Box. It’s my favorite design since the season 18 box.

They haven't had too much trouble selling out the other two TARDIS releases (compared to much of their other products), so even with this new system (if it lasts) I think we'll see another one made. Though whether it is Thirteens, or a classic era TaARDIS like Fours, who knows.

Back to the Doctor, I'm fascinated to see how well, or not, Thirteen sells. Given all the noise from both extremes, it is hard to get a real gauge on the popularity, or not, of the latest incarnation as far as the rusted on Doctor Who fans who would actually spend this kind of money in the first place go.

I think the Tardis turned out to be a huge QC headache for BC. Between production problems, dealing with damage and customer complaints, as well as warehousing and shipping such a large item, I doubt we’ll see another.

They haven't had too much trouble selling out the other two TARDIS releases (compared to much of their other products), so even with this new system (if it lasts) I think we'll see another one made. Though whether it is Thirteens, or a classic era TaARDIS like Fours, who knows.

Back to the Doctor, I'm fascinated to see how well, or not, Thirteen sells. Given all the noise from both extremes, it is hard to get a real gauge on the popularity, or not, of the latest incarnation as far as the rusted on Doctor Who fans who would actually spend this kind of money in the first place go.

Yeah I'm curious about that too. The casting definitely seems to have attracted and energized many more female fans than before (my sister among them), and probably enough to make up for the male fans who have abandoned it. But whether there'll be enough of them willing to shell out over $240 for a BCS figure is another matter, especially if they're not already collectors like us who are used to these ridiculous prices.

Not to mention the fact there are also these other, pretty decent looking figures available for a lot cheaper:

13th-10-inch-box7503.jpg

barbie-4.jpg

Honestly if you took the undergarb from the Character Options figure, repainted/tweaked the head a bit, and used the coat from the Barbie you'd get something comparable to many of BCS's releases. The likeness on that is solid on the proto picture on the box.

How is it possible for the Character Option offering has a better likeness and expression?

I just think it's easier for a stylized sculpt to look "better" because as you add more details, the more things that can look "off." I think this also helps it read from farther away in pics whereas a sculpt like this, which really comes down to the fine details, can look better in person or up close. The CO sculpt is quite good, and I prefer the slight smile. The more serious look for comes from the materials that the BBC provided. This sculpt was worked on WAY before anyone had seen a lick of footage, including BCS. I don't think it looks awful, but definitely looking forward to the smiling sculpt.

My sister has that CO doll, and while the expression and basic likeness are indeed pretty good, it's completely lacking in any kind of detail. And the BCS sculpt still looks far superior to me.

And I do see a hint of a smile on there, so it's at least not one of those completely vacant looking HT sculpts.

A 40 launch pad option.
Asking for nothing to be paid until green lit: good idea. That way they will get more takers I think.

I think they've now realised just how costly and time consuming it is to refund deposits to two or three hundred people if something fails to launch...

And once again they do themselves few favours by not explicitly listing the ex-vat international price on their advertising/promotional material, leading to new and unfamiliar international potential customers freaking out about the price and believing it to be much higher than it actually is. Again.

I'm in for a signature edition, but it will be interesting to see how well this one goes. I also note that the blurb only refers to the signature edition being exclusive to bcs and not available elsewhere...

Yeah it's not really clear if this is the only version that's going to be released, or if there's going to be a standard version later? And it doesn't mention anything about Whittaker actually signing these. But I went ahead and subscribed anyway just in case this is the only version we get.

This Launchpad crap is just so damn confusing.

I imagine there’s an ex signature edition and an ex launchpad version with the extra incentive items. As for a general non ex “standard” edition, that may be determined by preorder sales numbers and if already planned probably wouldn’t be announced/finalized until after the launchpad orders are successful. And if for some reason the figure fails to launch there won’t be any version.

The Signature Edition is being signed by Jodie Whittaker.
The edition is 500 pieces worldwide.
This will be the ONLY version of the 13th Doctor.
Launch Pad has been devised for fans to get the figures they want in their collections. To get behind them, support them and get them made.
No company, not a one, can risk producing high-cost products, only to have them sit around in their warehouses.
When the subject is niche and retail support is literally non-existent, the only way to make them is to put it to the people that will support them. (See Hasbro Jabba’s Sail Barge).
Launch Pad is for you the fans, the collectors. Support it if you want the characters in your collection.
Not every release will be via Launch Pad

Back