Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #13 Jodie Whittaker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn’t bother me one bit if they sold an additional 150 or 1500 on their site at a higher price than launchpad. Whatever works at this point and keeps more 1/6 Who figures being produced.

Wouldn’t bother me one bit if they sold an additional 150 or 1500 on their site at a higher price than launchpad. Whatever works at this point and keeps more 1/6 Who figures being produced.

Same. Besides, things like this should aim high.

What I find interesting is that the Thunderbirds Launchpad had a target of 700 and the word from behind the scenes was that 500 was the minimum they could make production viable. Given I would have thought the licence and the product itself would be cheaper to make than Doctor Who, I’ll be sad if Thirteen gets produced and Penelope/Parker don’t make it to market, given they also sold about 325 figures (with many additional buyers put-off that they were nowhere near the 700 target).

It was down to 4 earlier, now it is back up to 6 again. Wonder if people are cancelling because they still think it needs 500. Odd that every time the gap starts to close it turns around and then starts going backwards again. Been doing that for days now...

The truth is that a lot of fans have been severely put off and amongst those were a large chunk of collectors. The majority of the new target audience is not the type who collects, let alone high end collectibles. They are more the type who buys silly shirts, mugs or a cheap sonic made of plastic. In a lot of people's eyes this show has been ruined beyond repair and it even affected their feelings about the earlier eras. I have noticed that interest has significantly waned in collectibles related to the show, not just the newest season but in general. So this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

So now they potentially risk being hoist by their own petard, and if, for example, the next Who release with a 500 run doesn't launch at 350 as well, but failed at the same sort of number, regardless of the reason why, I could see a pretty sizable backlash coming their way, particularly from the core, rusted on customers.

I would be mightily pissed off if I was supporting any future figure of a character I like and it would end up not getting produced in a similar scenario!

That said, the only figure from BC I'd still be interested in is Jack. But I also think there could probably be more people interested in him than any of the remaining classic Doctors or female companions, also because the popularity of Barrowman goes beyond Doctor Who. I may be wrong, just what I think.

The truth is that a lot of fans have been severely put off and amongst those were a large chunk of collectors. The majority of the new target audience is not the type who collects, let alone high end collectibles. They are more the type who buys silly shirts, mugs or a cheap sonic made of plastic. In a lot of people's eyes this show has been ruined beyond repair and it even affected their feelings about the earlier eras. I have noticed that interest has significantly waned in collectibles related to the show, not just the newest season but in general. So this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I would be mightily pissed off if I was supporting any future figure of a character I like and it would end up not getting produced in a similar scenario!

That said, the only figure from BC I'd still be interested in is Jack. But I also think there could probably be more people interested in him than any of the remaining classic Doctors or female companions, also because the popularity of Barrowman goes beyond Doctor Who. I may be wrong, just what I think.

Yep I tend to agree with those points...and I include myself there, whilst Who isn't ruined beyond repair yet for me (although we are pretty close!) I just cannot justify purchasing this figure after the bad taste that the last season left with me. Someone summed it up earlier in the thread perfectly as a 'Marmite' season which is pretty accurate IMO. I honestly thought that this figure would have no issues in getting made due to the (what seemed like a) 50/50 split in the fanbase, however as as the above post says not all these new fans collect in the way that the more 'established fans' do. It would be very interesting to see how a classic Doctor release would fare under this Launchpad scheme.

The fact that the initial production target had to be significantly reduced is worrying, so for the sake of the future of the line (and for those who do want this figure), I really do hope it reaches target, I know how gutted I'd be if this was for a Second Doctor figure which just fell short of it's intended target.

Yeah I can't deny it was a pretty underwhelming season (with only a couple standout episodes), which is probably why I'm ordering this more for Jodie and the fact I really love her look and outfit on the show, and think it would make for a great figure on display.

I hope this gets made, and I'm sure the production paint job will be better than the prototype. However, this combined with the fire sale they've been holding all looks a bit desperate. I do think the Pertwee figure would make it to 500 as it looks brilliant. Couldn't they do a launchpad for that of 700 at half the price of Jodie?

Yeah, psychologically, the fire sale definitely doesn’t help convince a buyer who is on the fence to want to part with £229 when they can see similar products on the same site being sold with £100 off.

I hope this gets made, and I'm sure the production paint job will be better than the prototype. However, this combined with the fire sale they've been holding all looks a bit desperate. I do think the Pertwee figure would make it to 500 as it looks brilliant. Couldn't they do a launchpad for that of 700 at half the price of Jodie?

I would think (hope) Pertwee might possibly cost a bit less as it wouldn't be a signature edition which adds a bit onto the price. That's another thing that put me off with this figure tbh, personally I didn't want the signature edition, maybe would have been good to have had a standard version offered as well, at a lower price or something.

Anyway, only two more orders needed now, so hopefully you will all get your figure. :)

I do think the Pertwee figure would make it to 500 as it looks brilliant. Couldn't they do a launchpad for that of 700 at half the price of Jodie?

I really have doubts there’s a robust 1/6 fan base for the classic doctors. Hartnell took a long time to finally sell out. I’m not certain he’d do much better than 350 in 40 days, or Pertwee either. And no, I don’t think a Pertwee figure would ever be half the price of Whittaker, even at 2000 units. Inexpensive, high quality, delivered quickly... the 1/6 dream lives on!

Captain Jack and another Fourth Doctor are the only figures they could do that would justify a higher production run than 500 in my opinion.

Back