Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #13 Jodie Whittaker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
341 and 4 days to go. Needing 9 for the 350 green light target.
I cannot see this not happening now.
I do hope for BCS sake that all ‘supporters’ follow through with paying.
On that, I do hope their payment options include PayPal (it wasn’t available for the Thunderbirds set). If not, I’ll have to ask my dad to pay for me!!
“Hi Dad, can you buy me a doll on the Internet... oh, it’s like £200 !!” Haha

To be fair, he’ll happy to help out, and I’ll just send the PayPal payment to him.

You know, I’d agree. Only I’d keep both.
If those two head sculpts were as different as say the Tom Baker heads.
With those you 4 combinations as there’s a hat.
Even that scarf (her one, not his!!): you could have (with the extra shirt that comes with it) two builds.

It may limp across the target line, but at least it will get there. Only 6 to go now...

And I agree on the heads, they're not different or distinct enough to push the demand to display both for most people (me included), as far as would require buying two figures. That said, having a spare head and shirt may come in handy down the line for kitbashing, if the Doctor's look has any interesting episode specific looks next series. Plus extra choice is never a bad thing.

Two days to go and it has gone backwards up to 7 again. Eek...

Actually listing on the page itself that it will launch at 350 might help, so anyone thinking about it that goes to the page isn't put off by thinking it still needs 157 more sales to get to 500 in order to launch, and so doesn't bother because of that false, but understandable, assumption.

Yup. The 350 launch number is not anywhere to be seen.
That really needs to be made clear. If I were watching without that knowledge, I sure wouldn’t order now. And if I had ordered I might even quit now and retract my order.
Still. If I were BCS, I’d cut my losses and give it the green light now. Pull in that cash.

The Launchpad number going forward definitely needs to be whatever will cover the full production/development/marketing costs, rather than a full sold-out run.

Selling 350 (or in the case of Thunderbirds - 650) figures of such a high value in just two months is a huge achievement in and of itself. The remainder of the runs would sell out through word of mouth and assurance over the quality once reviews came in.

Man this is so nerve-racking. Just when it looked like it was picking up speed, it slows to a crawl again.

Although I have noticed an increase in orders after every new FB post by BCS, so maybe they should be doing that a lot more.

So now comes the question if they double down on launchpad. They've already compromised the perceived integrity of the program by agreeing to drop the minimum by 150 units, so will they go below that? It'd be crazy to kill it because 5 backers didn't jump in, but at the same time, why are any future early backers going to play ball if they think their vote doesn't matter if a future project lives or dies?

It's a real puzzle for them. I'd be surprised if it didn't meet minimum with 5, but the fact it's so slow tells a lot. As I said before, I think this has more to do with the Who fan, who also likes 13, trusts BCS's prototyping to product quality, and also collects 1/6 just being a much smaller target than we/they expected. And just the same, I think the same argument would stand for any vintage Doctors too. It's just a WAY smaller target group than expected.

I'm not sure why people would really be bothered by them lowering the target at the last minute. It's not going to deter me from supporting something in the future, and if it helps the figure get made then so much the better.

I wouldn't say they compromised launchpad so much as, in typical Big Chief style, they never gave us all of the relevant information to begin with. I am fully willing to believe that, internally, 350 was always the minimum launch target, and that they just hoped to pre-sell the entire run, and let people believe or assume that was the target without saying otherwise (despite being asked, repeatedly). They may well believe not sharing that information until the end would get them more sales overall, but personally I believe the opposite is true, and for many people seeing such an unlikely high assumed target would have a discouraging effect on sales instead.

Either way, I do feel not communicating this kind of information at the start clearly and cleanly does hurt them and risks further eroding confidence among customers over the long term, though. Partly because while supporters will still be glad to see it go ahead, it does risk feeling a bit bait and switch, and partly because if you don't give people all the relevant information they feel they need up front, then people will make their own narratives and leap to their own conclusions to fill in that information gap for themselves. And not just for this release, but for future releases, too. So now they potentially risk being hoist by their own petard, and if, for example, the next Who release with a 500 run doesn't launch at 350 as well, but failed at the same sort of number, regardless of the reason why, I could see a pretty sizable backlash coming their way, particularly from the core, rusted on customers.

Much like not explaining and making blatantly clear the ex-VAT pricing thing in big bold letters, so every potential international customer who may be new to all this understands what the pricing means and actually is to them (particularly when new customers are the most valuable customers to lure in), and just like not putting photos of the second painted head sculpt prominently on the sales page when it was ready, BCS (still) not putting the true launch target, as well as the 'sold out' run target, up on the page completely mystifies me to be honest.

Sad thing is, if they had been clear about the true target up front, the story of this launch would have been a far more positive "wow, look, we sold the 350 we needed and nailed the launch!", instead of the story being "damn, we didn't get close to 500, and now we're struggling just to hit 350", which is where we are at now, in my opinion. Pre-selling 350 units and getting this into production should feel like a triumph, because it is actually a hell of an accomplishment, but doing it the way they have done makes the achievement feel more like a consolation prize, and like the line is being propped up, rather than it having proved to have the support it needs to continue on. But BCS will BCS, I guess.

I don't mind lowering the numbers to 350. Honestly it probably should have been closer to that to begin with. The only way this would deter me from Launchpad is if let's say for argument's sake that they had to make 500, so they decided to sell the remaining 150 on their site. Even at higher price, it would make participating in the initial useless.

Not saying that will happen, just an argument to what would make me ditch this concept.

Back