Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #09 Christopher Eccleston

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their payment plan system is really nice. I like they allow you to spread it out over such a long period. $20 a month for a figure isn't bad at all and as you said they keep charging even when a figure is delayed, something I wish Sideshow would allow. I ended up paying quite a bit more on a few statues recently because of the huge drop in the Canadian dollar which would have been avoided had they charged me on their original scheudle and not delayed my payments due to the port issues.

A few months extra wait isn't too bad imo. I remember collecting Gentle Giant busts, sometimes they'd be delayed by over a year! I think the payment plan BCS offer is fantastic & without it I'd be unable to buy these figures as something home-wise pops up needing attention. I wish Weta would employ a similar system but the bank they use doesn't accommodate it

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but re-reading it again and seeing that you would love to see more Bond figures on another thread, maybe not, hence the paragraph below being edited.

In regards to the Bond series, the franchise is good for grabs since any 1/ company can make updates of the classic Bond figures that were previously released by SS, as well as making any contemporary ones each time a new film comes out.

Sideshow stopped making Bond figures before Daniel Craig took the role, and customs of him are popular among collectors especially whenever a new Bond film is coming out. That said, it would be logical for a toy company to try to make Bond figures again based on the new Spectre movie. It may or may not sell, but when Sideshow was doing making Bond figures, it was more than a decade ago before the time Hot Toys made 1/6 license figures popular with the countless of Joker figures. That said, the figures Sideshow made are heavily outdated, and in the 1/6 community, those would require updates.

Speaking of combat fatigue Dalton, Safari Suit Moore, etc.., I feel that the BCS is doing the same thing, but worse, with a build-the-figure pajama party Tennant and cowboy Matt Smith. They also said they are having more Tennant and Smith variants along the way, so I wouldn't be surprised if a dinner party Tennant and/or Smith will be made. Having variants is fine and all, but having them too soon for two different actors would imo, kill the line quickly. I am concern that the BCS will end up making unnecessary variants of the Nu Who Doctors to the point of having five different 9th Doctor figures with the only variations would be face gestures and color of tee shirt. Your idea of having variants of those classic Bond figures is great since it is more than two actors.

I am sure if they continue with this trend of making every variant of the Nu Who Doctors, the line will get stale quickly. I would love to see them make other lines so that it would also allow them to spread out releases better because they don't have to release every DW license figure every 3-4 months to make money.

Yeah nothing would kill a toy line like making slight variants of the same figure... "cough, cough"... "Hot Toys Iron Man" :wink1:

Also, slightly off top but I'm sure i've read somewhere that the people who hold the licensing rights to Bond are reluctant to have 1/6th figures made, which is a shame if true.

Yeah nothing would kill a toy line like making slight variants of the same figure... "cough, cough"... "Hot Toys Iron Man" :wink1:

Also, slightly off top but I'm sure i've read somewhere that the people who hold the licensing rights to Bond are reluctant to have 1/6th figures made, which is a shame if true.

Hot Toys is different since they are a company who can take a hit without having much impact on them. BCS can't. HT also have other hit lines other than Ironman such as the other characters in Avengers, Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy, Predator vs Aliens, and any new movie licenses. Not to be mean, but Ironman and other licenses that HT has appeals to a global audience as they tend to be of American licenses - a lot of American movies are watched ppl overseas, which is why Hollywood is now focusing their attention in making money in Asia rather than domestically since they is where most of the ticker holders are watching the films at. Not to be mean, but other than Harry Potter and James Bond, other European licenses like Doctor Who and Sherlock doesn't appeal to a global scale. That said, there are more people who will buy variants of Ironman than the Doctor.

From Big Chief at facebook. FB_IMG_1437152009553.jpg

It could just be a tease for the full reveal at the convention. I would expect it to be further along at this point as well, unless work on it was pushed back in favour of something else?

Nah it's just their render. Nothing says they don't have the actual, physical sculpt up and ready. Looks....dare I say....fantastic!

This figure is the reason why I bought the 2005 era TARDIS. I can't wait for the reveal... or more previews... or more hints... or... or...

It looks great. I'd love it if they showed the full figure and teased a Classic Doctor there. :)

I think there may be regular updates on this figure with the full figure reveal at the November thingy. Then I'd say we get a preorder late November.

While most people will have seen the interview where BCS say they'll be including an extra Tennant head with Eccleston I know not everyone has, so I thought it was worth reposting a link to it:

BIG Chief Studios Exclusive Interview - Doctor Who Action Figures Online

And the relevant quote:

We are excited about our first “build-a-figure” incentive packs that we are including with forthcoming products. The first of which is the Tenth Doctor’s Pyjamas and Slippers pack that comes with the Tenth Doctor’s TARDIS. We will also be offering an exclusive alternate Tenth Doctor portrait, to build your figure, that will be included for free for customers who purchase the Ninth Doctor direct from BIG Chief.

One of the best things about the new Eleven figure is the amount of kit bashing that we've seen for the extra Capaldi head; while this has affected sales of the Twelve figure (according to their spokesman) it's also been a lot of fun watching people source clothes and generally being very inventive. I can't wait to see what people do with the extra Tennant head. Personally I'll be buying two Eccleston's so I can make a regeneration Ten and recreate that great two-pack which kicked off the Character Options 5" line.

Oh, now you've done it. You've just cost me another couple of hundred quid.
That twin pack regen CO set is one of my favorite sets. I like the idea of having that set in 1:6.

While most people will have seen the interview where BCS say they'll be including an extra Tennant head with Eccleston I know not everyone has, so I thought it was worth reposting a link to it:

BIG Chief Studios Exclusive Interview - Doctor Who Action Figures Online

And the relevant quote:

We are excited about our first “build-a-figure” incentive packs that we are including with forthcoming products. The first of which is the Tenth Doctor’s Pyjamas and Slippers pack that comes with the Tenth Doctor’s TARDIS. We will also be offering an exclusive alternate Tenth Doctor portrait, to build your figure, that will be included for free for customers who purchase the Ninth Doctor direct from BIG Chief.

One of the best things about the new Eleven figure is the amount of kit bashing that we've seen for the extra Capaldi head; while this has affected sales of the Twelve figure (according to their spokesman) it's also been a lot of fun watching people source clothes and generally being very inventive. I can't wait to see what people do with the extra Tennant head. Personally I'll be buying two Eccleston's so I can make a regeneration Ten and recreate that great two-pack which kicked off the Character Options 5" line.

Yeah I think its a fun idea.
For those that buy a lot, they can build the figure or make a custom.
For those that have no interest they can sell off the 'bonus' parts for some cash and make money back on the figure purchase.

Ok, I know that Mark and the others frequent these boards ;-)
So, here's a thought. The 9th Doctor could easily come with THREE jumpers. Black, green and purple. This would, in one figure, give every 9th Doctor combination! Talk about minimalist!
7EB03F1C-58C7-47CE-9312-DFF439A3A057.jpg

CO did it eventually through separate releases. Come on, you know you can. The 9th outfit is not as complex or demanding as say, the 1st and 4th Doctors.

That's my hope as well. Though I'm kind of hoping we'll get red, green and purple.

Given that they were the exact same style, I can't see why them including at least one additional colour for switch out purposes as being too much to ask. All it takes is dying the same design a different colour. Especially seeing as how not only is Eccleston's outfit quite simple, but his list of possible accessories is rather small, as well. So it would be a nice way to value add to his release.

Though I could see that they might want to hold one specific colour back for next year's convention exclusive release, as that would make a rather easy variant...

Back