Big Chief Studios 1/6 Amy Pond

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I would definitely say either Sarah or Clara are more deserving of being called the "ultimate" companion.

Although as much as I love those two, my personal favorite continues to be Amy. She was not only gorgeous and a perfect match for Smith's Doctor, but was also involved in some of the best storytelling of the new series. Plus I just got a huge kick out of how much of a smartass she always was with everyone. :)

Everyone has their personal favorites on who they might refer to as the ultimate companion. Given that I've been watching this show since the 70's I have to say that it is hard to compare anyone else to either Jamie McCrimmon or Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart both of whom appeared for well over 100 episodes each. Sarah Jane Smith is also a tough act to follow, mostly because Elisabeth Sladen was so fantastic in the part.

Going forward, the Doctor needs to have a companion more like Jamie, someone from earth's past, as if makes for far better story telling than some cute little contemporary girl.

Amy was OK as a companion, but I felt at times the show was more about her... I thought they would rename it "Amy & The Doctor". ;-)
She did have a lot of good shows, so here's my homage to my favorite Amy story.

Everyone has their personal favorites on who they might refer to as the ultimate companion. Given that I've been watching this show since the 70's I have to say that it is hard to compare anyone else to either Jamie McCrimmon or Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart both of whom appeared for well over 100 episodes each. Sarah Jane Smith is also a tough act to follow, mostly because Elisabeth Sladen was so fantastic in the part.

Going forward, the Doctor needs to have a companion more like Jamie, someone from earth's past, as if makes for far better story telling than some cute little contemporary girl.

:exactly: Jamie made a good companion IMO, as did the excellent Sarah-Jane - I would love a BCS figure of her!! :)

And yes, as for going forward companion-wise I'd love to see a break from the normal 'female and from 21st century earth' types too, it would be a nice change.

:exactly: Jamie made a good companion IMO, as did the excellent Sarah-Jane - I would love a BCS figure of her!! :)

And yes, as for going forward companion-wise I'd love to see a break from the normal 'female and from 21st century earth' types too, it would be a nice change.

The only classic Doctor I want is Troughton and I would love it if BCS made an incentive 'Jamie' head to go with him, it would be great fun to see all the customs like we have with the 7b Capaldi head.

The only classic Doctor I want is Troughton and I would love it if BCS made an incentive 'Jamie' head to go with him, it would be great fun to see all the customs like we have with the 7b Capaldi head.

:goodpost: that's a really good idea actually! If they were to do that or just make the head sculpts available to buy - we could do the rest ourselves. I quite like that idea! :)

Also agree 100% on Troughton, really hope we get him somewhere down the line - my most wanted Who figure atm.

:goodpost: that's a really good idea actually! If they were to do that or just make the head sculpts available to buy - we could do the rest ourselves. I quite like that idea! :)

Also agree 100% on Troughton, really hope we get him somewhere down the line - my most wanted Who figure atm.

I think it's obvious that the best bet for having many of the companions would be to offer head sculpts. This being said, the more well known classic companions deserve proper releases and Jamie is one of them.:)

Well this definitely wasn't a figure I ever expected to get, given how underwhelming the production version came out. But I saw someone's Time of Angels custom on ebay and really liked the look, so I decided to take a chance and buy it. Unfortunately it didn't look quite as impressive in hand so I decided to fix it up a bit by repainting the head, making a more accurate sweatshirt (with hood), and altering a few other things.

I'm still not sure it's the greatest likeness to Gillan, as the head just doesn't seem nearly as round as it should be, but it captures just enough of her I think. And I'm pretty happy with the overall figure now, especially seeing her next to my Eleven. :)

IMG_2002 (625x900).jpg

IMG_1988 (585x900).jpg

IMG_1977 (521x900).jpg

amys (800x500).jpg

IMG_1995 - Copy (841x900).jpg

Well this definitely wasn't a figure I ever expected to get, given how underwhelming the production version came out. But I saw someone's Time of Angels custom on ebay and really liked the look, so I decided to take a chance and buy it. Unfortunately it didn't look quite as impressive in hand so I decided to fix it up a bit by repainting the head, making a more accurate sweatshirt (with hood), and altering a few other things.

I'm still not sure it's the greatest likeness to Gillan, as the head just doesn't seem nearly as round as it should be, but it captures just enough of her I think. And I'm pretty happy with the overall figure now, especially seeing her next to my Eleven. :)

View attachment 261823

View attachment 261825

View attachment 261826

View attachment 261827

View attachment 261828

Wow, you brought the sculpt to life...awesome job.

View attachment 261827

Nice! That looks loads better now and so much more realistic than the stock paint job - excellent work! :clap :clap :)

View attachment 261823

View attachment 261825

View attachment 261826

View attachment 261827

View attachment 261828

Dave,

Bravo man! :clap

You did a first rate job here. I agree the likeness is off, keeping in mind BCS has come a long way since this release. Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks guys! And yeah the likeness actually starts to look pretty good in hand... until you compare it with the real thing again and notice all the things that are off about it. Lol

Plus the utterly blank expression doesn't help much either. It would be awesome if BCS revisited the character at some point (and put the same team on it that sculpted the excellent Clara), but I know that's probably not going to happen.

Dude, you definitely brought the sculpt to the level that it was supposed to be. It looks like her now, at least. Not a doppelganger by any means, but you did everything you could to get a likeness out of that sculpt. Good job! Do you paint by hand or use an airbrush?

Just by hand. I'm not a professional painter so there's always a lot of trial and error involved, with lots of layers upon layers until it starts to look halfway decent.

I know it ended up a bit too tan for Gillan, but I've never quite figured out how to get that really pale transluscent skin effect without making someone just look sickly instead. :p

Just by hand. I'm not a professional painter so there's always a lot of trial and error involved, with lots of layers upon layers until it starts to look halfway decent.

I know it ended up a bit too tan for Gillan, but I've never quite figured out how to get that really pale transluscent skin effect without making someone just look sickly instead. :p

Ground pastels can do it by hand! It's tough, and a lot harder to get right than an airbrush, mainly, as you said, you get layers on layers going, which with each you loose the translucency. I still haven't mastered it, but got close on the nose of my last paint job. Either way, your work looks excellent. It's nice to see this figure get some renewed life.

This figure is the only one I have currently that I want to have repainted. You've done great work here, definitely more like Karen now.

I can't remember if I ever posted this, but I did a slight repaint on my Amy and I also widened her face a bit. All I did was take out the neck adapter, heated the head opening and stuck folded paper on either side of the head then reinserted the neck adapter. Makes quite a noticeable difference in person and gets rid of the squished look that the head normally has.
I need to work on my picture taking skills, but here's my Amy with Rory and another family member :lol:
AMY-AND-RORY.jpg

Back