Big Chief- Doctor Who, The 11th Doctor (Matt Smith)1/6th scale review + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new episode of Doctor Who got me excited for the show again. The dialogue and character interactions haven't been this good for a while. As a result I finally pulled the trigger and ordered this figure. TFAW has it at 25% off at the moment and a hunt on coupon sites will save you another $10.

Agree. One of the best episodes for a long time. Good concept, well-paced, without the feeling that they were trying to cram a three hour epic into a 45 minute program, and Jenna-Louise Coleman continues to impress.

I must dig out my 1:6 Bonneville. Shame it's red.

Agree. One of the best episodes for a long time. Good concept, well-paced, without the feeling that they were trying to cram a three hour epic into a 45 minute program, and Jenna-Louise Coleman continues to impress.

What's the 1:6 Bonneville, and if it's Hugh Bonneville, does he come with a rather special accessory? :wink1:

You have a 1:6 triumph! Cool.
I was looking thinking of buying a 1:6 motor bike from a sore recently. They weren't cheap, but they look amazing.

You have a 1:6 triumph! Cool.
I was looking thinking of buying a 1:6 motor bike from a sore recently. They weren't cheap, but they look amazing.

I paid about £32 for mine. It is a NewRay one and is pretty good. Have a scour around on evilBay. You might find one there. I will see if I can take a picture of the Dr on mine tonight, if I have a minute.

Captain Britain, the Dr was riding a Bonneville. And not Hugh Bonneville. *Minds veers away from the mental image*

ETA: Oh look. Here is one over the pond. Very good price, if it still available. Seems like they are pretty scarce now.

https://www.diecast-toys.com/product.php?prod_id=850

Last edited:

I am actually getting a series 1 vibe with the current series.. and that is a good thing.

I thought the new episode was okay. Not bad, not great, merely okay.

I mean don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it while it lasted, and it seems to have a few past Who easter eggs hidden within it, which may or may not amount to anything as the season rolls on, which is interesting. But as much as I enjoyed it along the way, it just felt a bit slight and hollow, kind of like TV junk food. As soon as it was over I kind of longed for a more substantial meal, if you get what I mean. It just all felt a bit one dimensional. Doctor Who does The Ring/Ringu. And not even as good as the last couple of times that Doctor Who has done The Ring. And this was the episode that Moffat referred to as being his 'Urban Thriller', and 'Doctor Who meets The Bourne Identity'? Having seen it that is not a connection that I ever would have made, personally. And whatever they're smoking to come up with it I wouldn't mind having some... :p

I mean I love Doctor Who, I'm not trying to rip on it, and if it's just the style of this particular episode, being a bit of a disposable romp, then that's fine every once in a while. But if the whole rest of the season is like this then I might feel a bit disappointed, to be honest, because to me this just felt a bit 'Doctor Who on auto-pilot'.

Either way I think Moffat needs to replenish his bag of tricks, because he seems to be repeating different variations on his past work a little bit too much these days. And regardless of all that, I'm still glad Who is finally back on screen.

Also I'm still a bit undecided on Clara at this point, too. I found her a bit annoying in Asylum of the Daleks, to be honest, however I thought she was excellent in The Snowmen. Now here she seems to be veering closer to the Asylum Clara again.

I don't know, Snowmen Clara just felt like a different companion, with a different dynamic, whereas Asylum/Bells Clara feels a little too much like just another sassy smartmouth, the kind that we have seen so much of in recent years since the show returned. Yet another in the standard Rose/Martha/Amy vein. I guess I was just hoping for a fresher character, rather than the same kind of character, just with a new face and figure. Hopefully my feeling is wrong and as time goes on she'll grow a more distinctive voice and presence, and Coleman appears talented enough, but right now I just don't know.

Again, just have to wait and see how it all goes, I guess.

In the mean time, I do have a space suit....

Looks good. :clap

That's the space suit from the old Tennant Doctor figure, right? Looks like it to work pretty well (apart from the gloved hands, I take it?).

It also seems like a particularly fitting custom outfit as Smith's Doctor seems to be wearing the same space suit in one of the upcoming stories, at least judging by a promo pic I saw, anyhow.

There are theories out there that the Clara/Oswin from the three episodes are all different people in one way or another so that'd make sense if they're different from eachother.

It was an okay episode. It did feel like they did this already during the Tennant years (and far better) but it was a big improvement from the last set of episodes.

Just got round to watching it with the kids... a bit... Meh!

Back