Best live-action Batman movie?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best live-action Batman movie?

• Batman (1943)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Batman (1966)

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Batman (1989)

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Batman Returns

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Batman Forever

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Batman & Robin

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Batman Begins

Votes: 20 14.7%
  • The Dark Knight

Votes: 60 44.1%
  • The Dark Knight Rises

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Votes: 11 8.1%

• Total voters
The Dark Knight? It's a good movie, but it's not a good Batman movie.

For the record :geek: , not that it would have made a difference as it wasn't going to get any votes anyway.
The poll is missing the second serial 1949 Batman and Robin Robert Lowery Batman, Johnny Duncan Robin, and first on-screen appearance of Vicki Vale (Jane Adams).
7rahux.gif

Who doesn't love the goon in the trash-can bit.

And yeah it needs updates with Battinson.
And Dark Keaton Returns.

Last edited:
I can agree with this, but would add The Batman and Batman '66 as honorable mentions in the costume category for being the only two Batmen who actually wore masks as opposed to sculpted busts on their heads. But nothing will ever (or could ever) top seeing that first modern Batman costume on Keaton in the pages of Newsweek magazine back in '89.
Updated my 'honourable mentions' and more:

They're all flawed, that said:

Best of:
  • Best Film: The Batman (Replacing Batman Begins)
Whaat? I'd seen The Batman in theatres twice and then left it alone. While it's not perfect and suffers from some of the usual plot contrivances, oversights and tropes most superhero films do, my initial two viewings were overwhelmingly positive.

I just watched it at home for the third time and with more critical eyes, but it holds up well for me. It unseats Batman Begins on atmosphere alone but doesn't stop there -- it just feels like a somehow smaller film and more character driven, in spite of massive set-pieces and the usual bombast. It also somehow feels *less* modern in spite of the cell phones and Internet stuff ... likely because Gotham looks and feels right as opposed to looking more or less like Chicago.

It also feels more like the comics ... and my initial dislike for the costume is actually fading fast as the suit grows on me and starts to make the others look non-functional.
  • Best Villain: The Dark Knight
  • Best Art Direction*: Batman '89 and Batman Returns ... tied with The Batman but the latter isn't a direct comparison given the modernity vs. fantasy aspect ... in terms of atmosphere and feeling the new film gives Burton a run for his freaky money.
  • Best Batmobile: Batman '89 and Batman Returns
  • Best Catwoman: Batman Returns tied with The Batman. One is rendered nightmarishly well but unhinged and fantastical whereas the second is drawn directly from some of the comics but yet more believable -- and she just smolders.
  • Best Costume: The Batman (unseats Batman '89) ... whaaaat?? The more I get to know it, the more it 'feels right'.

*I'm including the overall style and tone of the film under the visual communication of Art Direction. Burton's Gothic Magical Realism suits capes very well.

Honourable mentions:
  • Affleck's costume in BvS
  • Affleck's portrayal in BvS
  • Nostalgia: Batman '66
  • Batmobiles: Batman '66, BTAS, TNBA
  • One-liner: "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
  • Overall: Batman The Animated Series
  • Batman '66: actual mask
Ultimately, The Batman edges out the Burton films in those categories because it's re-watchable in ways they simply aren't. It's pretty in a different way and has more depth and personality.

I now agree that maybe it's a little long (only on my third viewing at home) but I can re-visit it anyway. I think in spite of its flaws the film is a major accomplishment in the genre.

But he should also always be hunted by the police. He can leave clues to help them once he solves them. But he shouldn't be at a crime scene in full regalia surrounded by cops. Just looks silly.

Secret alliance with Gordon, fine. Some people are just no damn good.
100% ... being surrounded by cops at a crime scene just took me out of it on third watch.

The Batman has great atmosphere. Like Burton's Art Direction, the "atmosphere" in The Batman is like its own character. Choking the city in shadows and dread.
Very much so. On this viewing I really noticed the musical score, and the light is just beautiful. The film takes place over the course of one week starting on Hallowe'en, and by the time Bruce and Selina are talking at the cemetary, it really feels like November -- it feels pitch perfect.

The Batman has great atmosphere. Like Burton's Art Direction, the "atmosphere" in The Batman is like its own character. Choking the city in shadows and dread.

If TDK had The Batman's atmosphere, can you imagine how cool the entire movie would be, not just the Joker?

Yes, the atmosphere and Gotham being a character in itself is what made TB worthwhile and a rival to the Nolanverse. Otherwise it would have been a pointless exercise.

If TDK had The Batman's atmosphere, can you imagine how cool the entire movie would be, not just the Joker?

Exactly! I can just imagine TDK Joker in The Batman, I think he would fit in seamlessly. On that note I do wish that the ’atmosphere‘ from BB carried over into TDK, that would’ve elevated the film even more in my opinion.

Updated my 'honourable mentions' and more:

They're all flawed, that said:

Best of:
  • Best Film: The Batman (Replacing Batman Begins)
Whaat? I'd seen The Batman in theatres twice and then left it alone. While it's not perfect and suffers from some of the usual plot contrivances, oversights and tropes most superhero films do, my initial two viewings were overwhelmingly positive.

I just watched it at home for the third time and with more critical eyes, but it holds up well for me. It unseats Batman Begins on atmosphere alone but doesn't stop there -- it just feels like a somehow smaller film and more character driven, in spite of massive set-pieces and the usual bombast. It also somehow feels *less* modern in spite of the cell phones and Internet stuff ... likely because Gotham looks and feels right as opposed to looking more or less like Chicago.

It also feels more like the comics ... and my initial dislike for the costume is actually fading fast as the suit grows on me and starts to make the others look non-functional.
  • Best Villain: The Dark Knight
  • Best Art Direction*: Batman '89 and Batman Returns ... tied with The Batman but the latter isn't a direct comparison given the modernity vs. fantasy aspect ... in terms of atmosphere and feeling the new film gives Burton a run for his freaky money.
  • Best Batmobile: Batman '89 and Batman Returns
  • Best Catwoman: Batman Returns tied with The Batman. One is rendered nightmarishly well but unhinged and fantastical whereas the second is drawn directly from some of the comics but yet more believable -- and she just smolders.
  • Best Costume: The Batman (unseats Batman '89) ... whaaaat?? The more I get to know it, the more it 'feels right'.

*I'm including the overall style and tone of the film under the visual communication of Art Direction. Burton's Gothic Magical Realism suits capes very well.

Honourable mentions:
  • Affleck's costume in BvS
  • Affleck's portrayal in BvS
  • Nostalgia: Batman '66
  • Batmobiles: Batman '66, BTAS, TNBA
  • One-liner: "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
  • Overall: Batman The Animated Series
  • Batman '66: actual mask
Ultimately, The Batman edges out the Burton films in those categories because it's re-watchable in ways they simply aren't. It's pretty in a different way and has more depth and personality.

I now agree that maybe it's a little long (only on my third viewing at home) but I can re-visit it anyway. I think in spite of its flaws the film is a major accomplishment in the genre.

100% ... being surrounded by cops at a crime scene just took me out of it on third watch.

So safe to say TB is your favorite Batman film? ;)

The Batman is the best "Batman" movie. In terms of an adaptation of the Batman character and his world, it's the best movie.

IMO, it's also the best "movie" of the Batman movies too, but can understand that people love The Dark Knight (which is a great crime "movie" to me, but not a very good "Batman" movie).

Last edited:
Back