Hot Toys Batman (1989) Batmobile (Reissue)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cocoons all had foam, poorly glued to the interior of the cocoon.

All Hot Toys had to do was wrap the Batmobile body in protective plastic. Never made any sense why they just threw the cocoon on top of it and called it a day.

A cocoon display is kinda silly to be honest. It's just a cheap shell. The 'wheels' on it don't even line up with the wheels on the actual car. And it's awfully big and space-consuming for what it is. Really not something you need at 1/6.

Someone is going to cover their $750 Batmobile in the cocoon...?
Mine had the foam, so no big deal. It's going to look noticeably lacking next to the jazzinc version anyway, so no harm in covering it.

Sit it well away from the Jazzinc 89, behind the searchlight and below the batwing, and I think we have the 89 movie fully covered.

Never used my cocoon either.

When it was first announced I imagined a hard, sturdy, durable plastic cocoon with a nice matte finish and a felt interior, like a polystone statue. What we ended up getting was a cheap birthday cake shell that rivals what Toy Biz did with theirs in 1989.

3F056328-91FA-4415-BFC4-010EDA206D77.jpeg

The irony is, the cocoon is designed to protect the Batmobile, but Hot Toys packed it in such a way that made scratching inevitable.

I’m not selling my Hot Toys Batmobile. I paid like $570 for it back in the day. With JazzInc’s around the corner, that one will be my “no touchy, touchy museum piece” and the Hot Toys will be regulated to “lets pop the machine guns up, show off the features and have some fun”.

The cocoon in Batman '89 was silly to begin with, how it "worked". The car looks impenetrable as it is, just have the cockpit go black and covers that seal over vents. Where all those cocoon-plates come from and unfold just looked terrible. If you can't make it practical and have to animate it, you know its not working.

The cocoon in Batman '89 was silly to begin with, how it "worked". The car looks impenetrable as it is, just have the cockpit go black and covers that seal over vents. Where all those cocoon-plates come from and unfold just looked terrible. If you can't make it practical and have to animate it, you know its not working.

At the time I'm sure I thought it was cool but now it seems borderline Iron Man Nanotech magic, too advanced for the world depicted in those films, I dunno.

Yeah it’s goofy.

I already believed that it was bullet proof and impenetrable. Very redundant to cover it with even more armor . . . because cops, citizens and homeless people are touching it?

Kinda made sense for the Axis chemicals bombing, but I digress. I do like the stop motion and sound effects for it though.

Never used my cocoon either.

When it was first announced I imagined a hard, sturdy, durable plastic cocoon with a nice matte finish and a felt interior, like a polystone statue. What we ended up getting was a cheap birthday cake shell that rivals what Toy Biz did with theirs in 1989.

View attachment 682676
The irony is, the cocoon is designed to protect the Batmobile, but Hot Toys packed it in such a way that made scratching inevitable.

I’m not selling my Hot Toys Batmobile. I paid like $570 for it back in the day. With JazzInc’s around the corner, that one will be my “no touchy, touchy museum piece” and the Hot Toys will be regulated to “lets pop the machine guns up, show off the features and have some fun”.
The Jazz Inc has more features that need to be shown off. If I had that one, it wouldn't be strictly a museum piece. I'd want to get my money's worth.

I'm surprised to hear criticism on the cocoon that came with it. I've been using it. It keeps dust and sunlight off it without putting the whole Batmobile back in the box. It's very quick on and off, very convenient. I put it on when I am away from it for long periods of time.

It's not even a good dustcover - I took my batmobile down to have a look at it while I was contemplating the Jazzinc version and still found the car underneath covered in dust.

Someone is going to cover their $750 Batmobile in the cocoon...?

If a collector owns multiple Batmobiles, the cocoon look could be an occasional display option.

Personally, I probably will not.

I own the original Hot Toys and have the JazzInc on PO.

In my ModuCase, I will use one as 89 display (with accompanying figures) and the other as a 92 Returns display with the silly elevating bottom attachment that rotates the Batmobile. :lol

Is this thing still available at any US based retailers? I’m on the waitlist at Sideshow, but Sideshow also sucks.

Have there been any reported improvements on the reissue?
I'm out of the loop. What improvements were needed?

Genuinely curious is all. This was never a realistic purchase for me because of the sheer size of it.

I'm out of the loop. What improvements were needed?

Genuinely curious is all. This was never a realistic purchase for me because of the sheer size of it.
The best thing to do would be to look at the JazzInc video comparing the two products. I think it shows really clearly how the overall shape of the HT version is inaccurate.

Personally, I chose the HT for it's less extravagant price, but boy, JazzInc put them to shame.

The product description says it is painted. I believe people have asserted that the original was just black plastic. That's the only improvement we know of.

The best thing to do would be to look at the JazzInc video comparing the two products. I think it shows really clearly how the overall shape of the HT version is inaccurate.

Personally, I chose the HT for it's less extravagant price, but boy, JazzInc put them to shame.

I'd be mad if they didn't considering the price difference.

Back