Best Batman Stories

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the art was really great. I'd heard some bad things about the book but then a repellent recommended it to me so I thought I'd give it a chance. I downloaded a few issues digitally when they were on sale but I just thought frank millers writing, the dialogue in particular, was just dreadful.

But yeah, the art is really cool.

11737_900x1350.jpg

I've actually been quite interested in checking this out. I LOVED Morrison's entire run and the amount of references to those older stories, a few of which I'd read in the greatest batman stories compilations.

Yeah the art was really great. I'd heard some bad things about the book but then a repellent recommended it to me so I thought I'd give it a chance. I downloaded a few issues digitally when they were on sale but I just thought frank millers writing, the dialogue in particular, was just dreadful.

But yeah, the art is really cool.

It's so bad that it's kinda good. Well I wouldn't go that far. For me it's like a more entertaining version if the Batman and Robin clooney movie. Horrible writing, camp and sexual innuendo.

Aside from he standard recommendations, here are a few that I like as well:

For me, I loved Dark Knight, Dark City. It was the story arc that got me to buy comics. A really dark version of the Riddler, satanism being practiced by the founding fathers, some dark stuff involving the kidnapping of babies. Got me hooked.

I also can't recommend Ed Brubaker's run on Batman and Greg Rucka's run on Detective (both after No Man's Land) highly enough. Some really great stories in there.

Old school wise, look into finding a copy of Strange Apparitions. It collects the Engleheart/Marshall run on Detective from the '70s. Also, look for Tales of the Demon. It collects the Denny O'Neil Ra's al Ghul stories in one volume.

Other than those, anything by Grant Morrison is great.

Aside from he standard recommendations, here are a few that I like as well:

For me, I loved Dark Knight, Dark City. It was the story arc that got me to buy comics. A really dark version of the Riddler, satanism being practiced by the founding fathers, some dark stuff involving the kidnapping of babies. Got me hooked.

I also can't recommend Ed Brubaker's run on Batman and Greg Rucka's run on Detective (both after No Man's Land) highly enough. Some really great stories in there.

Old school wise, look into finding a copy of Strange Apparitions. It collects the Engleheart/Marshall run on Detective from the '70s. Also, look for Tales of the Demon. It collects the Denny O'Neil Ra's al Ghul stories in one volume.

Other than those, anything by Grant Morrison is great.

I was just going to recommend Strange Apparitions, which for some weird reason is out of print and costs a lot of money to buy.

Looking forward to this thread. More of a movie buff myself, but we have quite some customers and items based on comics so I'm now entering the world of comics :)

Just read today a famous one, which I really enjoyed:

51cMN2iaShL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Interesting on the deluxe edition is the artist recoloured it on his mac as he wasn't happy with the job when outsourced 20 years ago. It's really easy to read and simply laid out so I found this one a good comic for someone starting out like me. I know layouts can get quite complicated to follow so I liked the traditional flow of this one.

I was also interested in this comic as Kotobukiya do a statue on this front cover which we've sold to quite a few customers. Nice idea recreating that scene in a statue:

1killingjoke1.jpg

I was just going to recommend Strange Apparitions, which for some weird reason is out of print and costs a lot of money to buy.

I love strange apparitions. Some classic stories in there, including the joker fish story if I remember correctly. And the whole Hugo strange thing. A really great collection. Didn't realise the price on that one had gone up though.

Has The Cult been mentioned?

I've been meaning to read The Cult for ages as I'd heard good things. I've just downloaded it as its on sale on the DC app so will check it out soon.

batman gothic really good story spooky!
frank millers batman Dark knight returns
the cult
the killing joke
batman judge dredd ,(judgment on gotham) great illustrations paintings.
batman and the demon (a tragedy) paintings

Last edited:
Back