Bespin Luke 12" figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the liberty of "painting" Andy's Luke.

ab_luke.jpg

L%205.jpg

L%201.jpg

L%202.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Imo that is the best face portrait of Luke thus far.

Instantly recognisable as Hamill.

The hair is kind of scene specific though, but I would take this over what we have seen soo far of the Bespin sculpt.

I dunno the more I see SSC Bespin Luke....The more I don't see Bespin Luke. :monkey1

Btw great job on our new favorite Sith Andy, we are going to miss your work around here!!

Well since the preorder date has come and gone for this guy I guess it's safe to post this... When this figure was first in development I had the original honors of sculpting the portrait. My portrait underwent a barrage of revisions at Lucasfilm's request, and ultimately was scrapped I believe. I *think* the portrait was attempted by no less than 3 separate people, I'm not sure who's work graces the final figure seen above. I think the head they used looks fantastic, much better than the one I did... I think mine is actually more of a caricature, and the hairstyle is too wind-swept and not enough "combed by my mom for my school portrait" style that Luke adorned during that part of the film.

Anyway, enough borng commentary... Here's some shots of the Bespin Luke that never was (fortunate for us)...

L%205.jpg

L%201.jpg

L%202.jpg

This sculpt is by far better, I can't believe they would scrap it:confused:

Too bad they didn't do it as an exclusive alternate portrait like Ventress. Then we could have Bespin Luke or Dagobah Luke.

Wow! Andy, your sculpt is fantastic!! What was Sideshow thinking? They had a nearly dead-on ESB Luke face and decided to go with a sculpt of some random teenage kid (just looks too young to me)? I've never really seen Hamill in the current headsculpt and now I really don't. Overall I think the figure is cool and I have the exclusive on order, but now that I've seen Andy's sculpt, well, the figure just isn't as good as it was a few minutes ago... :monkey2

Too bad they didn't do it as an exclusive alternate portrait like Ventress. Then we could have Bespin Luke or Dagobah Luke.

I like this idea! I think the existing Bespin Luke head sculpt is great (and it looked better in person than in any of the pictures I have seen), but Andy gives us a different approach that I find very interesting--and he remains my favorite artist in the industry.

I would have loved to have the choice between both sculpts.

I love Andy's sculpt but I agree with him that it's a bit cartoonish. I prefer the one they settled on; I just hope the paint job does it justice (it's looking good in the Production Blog).

Say Andy, how does SS normally decide who sculpts what?

ANDY B. SCULPT IS THE BEST ESB LUKE I HAVE EVER SEEN.I DONT SEE THE CARTOONISH THING IN IT.AWESOME.

Gee whiz, I'm glad you all like the portrait so much!

I should clarify something though... The reason this sculpt got scrapped has nothing to do with SSC, it's all a result of Lucasfilm. In fact, I believe SSC was happy with my very first submission for this guy, if it was only up to them many of the final figures would often look quite different (that goes for many different licenses). I think I revised this portrait 2-3 times, and each time was shot down by LF. Beyond that point I was no longer working for Sideshow so I don't know the rest of the story... But as I said, I think the final sculpt they used is just terrific, kudos to whomever did it!

Andy it looks like your sculpt (which was awesome, btw) accurately featured Hamill's motorcycle accident scars. Did the revisions requested by Lucasfilm have anything to do with them wanting a more idealized looking Luke?

Gee whiz, I'm glad you all like the portrait so much!

I should clarify something though... The reason this sculpt got scrapped has nothing to do with SSC, it's all a result of Lucasfilm. In fact, I believe SSC was happy with my very first submission for this guy, if it was only up to them many of the final figures would often look quite different (that goes for many different licenses). I think I revised this portrait 2-3 times, and each time was shot down by LF. Beyond that point I was no longer working for Sideshow so I don't know the rest of the story... But as I said, I think the final sculpt they used is just terrific, kudos to whomever did it!

Andy, who specifically at LFL reviews the sculpts? Does Lucas himself have the final say? Do the actors have any input? I'm still perplexed why your amazing sculpt would get scrapped? What changes did they ask you to make to the original submission?

I was unable to preorder the Exclusive version of this one, but was able to get a standard version. I'm still not sold on him though. I'd like to see more images of him, and the decide whether or not to cancel the preorder. Plus, I'm sure once I get him in, if I don't love it like the rest I have, I don't think I'll have any trouble selling the guy.

Pat

Andy, who specifically at LFL reviews the sculpts? Does Lucas himself have the final say? Do the actors have any input? I'm still perplexed why your amazing sculpt would get scrapped?
There is a small team of drones in the LFL Licensing department that like to push their weight around.

:rolleyes:

Back