Bespin Luke 12" figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to see a variety pack of secondary headsculpts such as this, especially if they had more active expressions.

I'd probably pay $20 for a 4 pack maybe a tad more for intricate aliens.

Yeah, I don't know how/why Andy's sculpt wasn't approved. It is AWESOME! Looks better than the one they ended up with. Don't understand that at all. :confused:

Can't wait for you to come back to Sideshow Andy! :monkey2

Yeah, I don't know how/why Andy's sculpt wasn't approved. It is AWESOME! Looks better than the one they ended up with. Don't understand that at all. :confused:

As I recall, the Lucasfilm folks did the same thing to his Mace Windu sculpt. The original sculpt looked much closer to Sam Jackson.

There is a small team of drones in the LFL Licensing department that like to push their weight around.

:rolleyes:

i wonder if they are the same lucasfilm people conan o'brian had on his show who couldn't tell the difference between a real screen used vader suit and a replica suit made by rubies?:confused::rotfl

Well since the preorder date has come and gone for this guy I guess it's safe to post this... When this figure was first in development I had the original honors of sculpting the portrait. My portrait underwent a barrage of revisions at Lucasfilm's request, and ultimately was scrapped I believe. I *think* the portrait was attempted by no less than 3 separate people, I'm not sure who's work graces the final figure seen above. I think the head they used looks fantastic, much better than the one I did... I think mine is actually more of a caricature, and the hairstyle is too wind-swept and not enough "combed by my mom for my school portrait" style that Luke adorned during that part of the film.

Anyway, enough borng commentary... Here's some shots of the Bespin Luke that never was (fortunate for us)...

L%205.jpg

L%201.jpg

L%202.jpg

Oh jeez ! I wish I hadn't seen this ! I like this version better than the one for sale !:(

Time to fire the person responsible for approving final sculpts, or get them some laser eye surgery fast.

Shame that this one won't see the light of day. ( funny I seem to have said that before somewhere.)

Andy , I think that you have been dealt a poor hand with this one. Outstanding work again !

Time to fire the person responsible for approving final sculpts, or get them some laser eye surgery fast.

Well, at least we know that Sideshow is an equal opportunity employer: not many companies are brave enough to hire a blind person to select their sculpts (except maybe Medicom with their Jedi Luke. Zing!). I always new Sideshow was a progressive company...

I find it funny that some people feel Sideshow's to blame on what sculpts are or aren't approved in this line. LFL is **** retentive, look how they made Andy change his Mace Windu sculpt. I agree with Andy that his hair isn't fitting for a generic figure head such as this and is more scene specific, but I'm sure many at SSC loved his Luke portrait, but ultimately, if LFL says NO that's it game over, none of these pieces from Sideshow come out without getting the LFL seal of approval, so if anything, it's the LFL reps to blame when quality sculpts are not produced.

I find it funny that some people feel Sideshow's to blame on what sculpts are or aren't approved in this line. LFL is **** retentive, look how they made Andy change his Mace Windu sculpt. I agree with Andy that his hair isn't fitting for a generic figure head such as this and is more scene specific, but I'm sure many at SSC loved his Luke portrait, but ultimately, if LFL says NO that's it game over, none of these pieces from Sideshow come out without getting the LFL seal of approval, so if anything, it's the LFL reps to blame when quality sculpts are not produced.

+1

I almost created a thread about this. It seems like someone (or more) at LFL are smoking something. Too bad they're impervious to criticism.

Damn Andy!!! that Luke is stellar! Straight out of Dagaobah! you'll forever be unmatched when it comes to hair. you just infuse every bit of your sculpts with life. I love it!

I can't believe how well you nailed the 'after car accident' Mark Hammill

Trev

I'll go ahead and transfer my previous comments over to LFL then. Whoever it was, someone dropped the ball because one of those headsculpts is clearly Mark Hamill and the other, while quite good, just doesn't have the resemblance in my opinion. Still, as an overall product, I'm very pleased with the way the figure is turning out. Now hopefully one of the many customizers here will help us all out with a jumpsuit weathering tutorial...

I hope that you guys weren't implying I was on about Sideshow ? I've never been a fan of LFL 's decisions, heck Lucas can't even tell the difference between Vader helmets !

I know fully that it is out of Sideshow's hands and I'm sure that they are as narked as we are about this.

I hope that you guys weren't implying I was on about Sideshow ? I've never been a fan of LFL 's decisions, heck Lucas can't even tell the difference between Vader helmets !

Hell, they don't even know what his helmet looks like period!

Damn Andy!!! that Luke is stellar! Straight out of Dagaobah! you'll forever be unmatched when it comes to hair. you just infuse every bit of your sculpts with life. I love it!

I can't believe how well you nailed the 'after car accident' Mark Hamill

Trev

Thanks brother! You know, I think that was one of the problems with this sculpt... It was actually a little "too" post-accident Hamill, as strange as that sounds. I worked extra hard to capture all the post-accident nuances that identify this version as "Empire Luke" rather than "New Hope" Luke... Hamill's face was full of asymmetries in the nostrils, eyelids, lips/scars, etc. But in the end most of the changes I remember LF requesting were to make him a little prettier, correcting some of those asymmetries and such.

(on a side note... Anyone in search of Empire-era Hamil reference should check out the WWII movie "The Big Red One"... Helped me a lot! :) )

I could see LFL wanting to make a more character looking figure than one specific to how the actor actually looked. My guess is they are wanting the figures to represent the characters moreso than the actors.

I'd still prefer the actor likeness, but I can see maybe more of what they are going for.

Seeing that the movie came out before there was any liteture for this saga, I think it only fair that Mark Hammil get the true recognition for the Skywalker character. He made that character, if it was up to George this film may have been the stinker everyone feared it was going to be.

Back