Bela Lugosi vs Christopher Lee Dracula

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Lee or Bela Lugosi?

• Bela Lugosi

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • Christopher Lee

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
Well, I guess that the rumor had a lot to do with Schreck meaning terror in German and the fact that it was the actor's only screen appearance (although that may also be a rumor as I remember reading years and years ago that Max Schreck had acted at least in another movie, though the article never mentioned the title)

EDIT: and here's the guy IMDB page.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0775180/

Actually, he starred in many movies and you can even see pictures of him without make up!:lol

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought it was Day-Lewis...

All i remember is reading an interview at the time before movie production where Coppola said that he wanted someone 'tall and thin whose face had a haunted look' and that he envisaged Jermey Irons in the role. Either would have been great in the part...
Daniel Day-Lewis did play Dracula in a one off stage play in 1984 with the wonderful Peter Capaldi as Harker..
View attachment 342979

Not sure about Frank Langella as Dracula, but their version of Mina Harker as a vampire was nasty.

My personal preference extends to Christopher Lee and his 7 Dracula Hammer films - in terms of stature, ferocity, evil and the seductive look of that black cloak with the scarlet silk lining. However, it must be said that Lugosi's legacy ( on the basis of one creaky, stilted film) has endured for 86 years and will continue to do so. The image of Dracula ( as personified by Bela ) has become so engrained and stereotypical in the public's subconsciousness that it's a shock whenever someone tries a revisionist take on the character. Gary Oldman's version was the most original. But what do you think of Louis Jourdan or Frank Langella?

lets not forget David Peel as Dracula 1960 Hammer Films Brides of Dracula.Lee had done 1958 Horror of Dracula but Hammer was not set on him yet.Brides was the next Film and they went with Peel.And not until 1966 did they begin again with Lee.
Horror of Dracula (1958) ...
Brides of Dracula (1960) ...Peel
Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) ...
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968) ...
Count Dracula (1970) ...
Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970) ...
Scars of Dracula (1970) ...
Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972) ...
The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973) ...

Attachments

• brides of draculs2.jpg
    brides of draculs2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 34
  • brides of dracula.jpg
    brides of dracula.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 38
  • brides-of-dracula-1963-hammer-horror-baron-meinser-chokes-van-helsing-peter-cushing-david-peel.jpg
    brides-of-dracula-1963-hammer-horror-baron-meinser-chokes-van-helsing-peter-cushing-david-peel.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Brides of Dracula.jpg
    Brides of Dracula.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 35
  • the-brides-of-dracula-poster.jpg
    the-brides-of-dracula-poster.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 34
Back