Bela Lugosi vs Christopher Lee Dracula

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Lee or Bela Lugosi?

• Bela Lugosi

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • Christopher Lee

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
1931 Dracula over anything.

Over Blacula?

vfx4DIH.jpg

Lee played Dracula nine times and believe it or not Bela played Dracula two times 1931 Dracula and 1949 Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.He died in 1956.Being that AC Meet was a comedy I would say Bela had more of an impact even to this Day from one Film then Lee did from 9.

If you ever get a chance watch the 1931 Spanish/Mexican Version which is included in the Bela Lugosi Dracula Legacy Collection.It's better than the Original.It was filmed simultaneously with the English language version using the same sets and script but cinematographer George Robinson was able to make adjustments in lighting and cinematography and it's actually a better film.Carlos Vallarias as Dracula and Lupita Tovar are excellent.

Also included in the Legacy set is the 1936 Dracula's Daughter with Gloria Holden,1943 Son Of Dracula with Lon Chaney Jr as Dracula and 1945 House of Dracula with John Carradine as Dracula.These are short films so you get all 5 Original Films with extras on 2 Discs.

I have all 3 Universal Horror Legacy Collections.Lon Chaney Jr The Wolfman and Boris Karloff Frankenstein they are all excellent.Check them out if you can find them.

Attachments

• dracula2.jpg
    dracula2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 57
Oh, come on! He's got to be the worst! Awesome film, awesome costumes, awesome actor, but such a poor Dracula. I could never understand why they cast him as Dracula. He is really great but as far as Dracula, that was a total miscast!

Jeremy irons was Coppola's first choice for the role and would have been great..Oldman is one of my favourite actors but i agree he was miscast..

Bela Lugosi made Dracula what he is today. He wasn't even the first to portray the vampire in movies.

Because of Lugosi, anyone who tries to talk like Dracula ends up sounding Hungarian. :lol

Bela Lugosi made Dracula what he is today. He wasn't even the first to portray the vampire in movies.

Because of Lugosi, anyone who tries to talk like Dracula ends up sounding Hungarian. :lol

But thats like a joke, thats like a cliche, llike i was saying, the whole "bleh bleh " im dracula "blwh bleh"

Haha! I love that movie! :hi5:

From beginning to end, this one kept me laughing. :lol

872d503a8376bf33524524eb24e61179.jpg

There are too many hilarious moments. The bug eating at the table is probably my favorite "raspberries? There arent any raspberries "

Jeremy irons was Coppola's first choice for the role and would have been great..Oldman is one of my favourite actors but i agree he was miscast..

I didn't know that's! Surely, that would have been a winner!

Btw, speaking of Dracula, no one's mentioned Max Schreck yet. His Dracula/ Nosferatu was absolutely awesome. That movie came out some ten years before Browning's Dracula, and that was a much, much better film!

Oh Christopher Lee of course. At least he could exude menace and appeared more demon like when pissed off. Poor old Bela never even once showed a bit of fang. :lol

tumblr_o7u1l1mMv11rdfgw4o1_500.gif

I didn't know that's! Surely, that would have been a winner!

Btw, speaking of Dracula, no one's mentioned Max Schreck yet. His Dracula/ Nosferatu was absolutely awesome. That movie came out some ten years before Browning's Dracula, and that was a much, much better film!

Werent there rumors that they used a real vampire?

I thought it was Day-Lewis...

Lee 'sexed' it up for a whole new generation but Lugosi was just so much more creepy..

Yeah well, fat old men running after young women are always creepy...

Werent there rumors that they used a real vampire?

Now, that movie I actually enjoyed, Shadow of the Vampire, wasn't it?

I thought it was Day-Lewis...

Yeah well, fat old men running after young women are always creepy...

Now, that movie I actually enjoyed, Shadow of the Vampire, wasn't it?

Yeah, but back then..there really were rumors between the crew that they had a real vampire on set

Well, I guess that the rumor had a lot to do with Schreck meaning terror in German and the fact that it was the actor's only screen appearance (although that may also be a rumor as I remember reading years and years ago that Max Schreck had acted at least in another movie, though the article never mentioned the title)

EDIT: and here's the guy IMBD page

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0775180/

Indeed, he starred in many other movies, and you can even see pictures of him sans make up:lol

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back