BCS 1:6 Doctor Who: Eighth Doctor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has not changed since their last announcement. They said the factory anticipated sending them late July or early August. That means they wouldn’t hit the UK warehouse until September. So no change.

Just a new delay notice from SSC then.

Wish Big Chief still did there alternative outfits like they did for the first release of 11. 8 has had 3 distinct looks over the years and it would be cool to have at least his Dark Eyes look to go on a shelf. At this point though we're lucky to even be getting him at all.

Hmm, its a closeup pic so kinda hard to judge, but the head is still looking a bit too squished for my taste. Although perhaps not as bad as before.

8th-doctor-head-paints.jpg

Yeah I'm pretty happy with that, to be honest.

McGann has a very distinctive face that also seems to be quite pliable, so landing on a static look that captures him well is far from easy, I'd imagine. I mean even his famous promo pics of him as the Eighth Doctor don't overly look like him compared to what he looked like mid performance on screen, and they are him. :lol

The fact that I can see a lot of McGann coming through in that sculpt works for me. And thankfully they've fixed the droopy caterpillar eyebrows, too.

My biggest concern with the likeness was it’s cartoon-like quality and the hair. The likeness looks great and I can live with the hair. Haha

I love the way his face looks now. Definite improvement over the proto.

That's looking a lot better than the previous images we had, it's recognisably Eight now at least! Fingers crossed that the likeness remains there for the production run, I really want this figure to work out. Dating myself ahem, but due to the weird era that I got into Who Eight is 'my' Doctor, yunno?

Got to admit I'm fairly resigned to the way that Paul McGann is akin to Viggo Mortensen in that respect; instantly recognisable in photos/on film, but somehow extremely difficult to capture an artistic likeness.

That's looking a lot better than the previous images we had, it's recognisably Eight now at least! Fingers crossed that the likeness remains there for the production run, I really want this figure to work out. Dating myself ahem, but due to the weird era that I got into Who Eight is 'my' Doctor, yunno?

Got to admit I'm fairly resigned to the way that Paul McGann is akin to Viggo Mortensen in that respect; instantly recognisable in photos/on film, but somehow extremely difficult to capture an artistic likeness.

Yeah that's what has me tempted to get this as well. Even though I caught the occasional episode with previous Doctors in the 80s, it was really the McGann movie with it's faster pace and better production values that got me truly interested and excited about DW. Which kind of previewed the style we got in the relaunch.

So if the outfit turns out well I might just order one of these after all.

I am so happy to see this update from BCS! The mold/sculpt definition seems a bit messy, but not bad. I’m really impressed with the improvements to the face. The chin looks a bit longer than the prototype’s chin, maybe that’s it? Whatever the case, I think it is more recognizable as McGann! I’m getting excited for this release!

New head sculpt looks great. Hopefully this means that the figure is due for release soon.

I think the sculpt looks great although I wish they offered the later version of the character before he regenerates into the War Doctor as well. I always thought it was such a waste that he never got a full series. His Doctor had real potential.

I think the sculpt looks great although I wish they offered the later version of the character before he regenerates into the War Doctor as well. I always thought it was such a waste that he never got a full series. His Doctor had real potential.

Agreed. After getting into the Big Finish audios he is my second favorite Doctor after Tom Baker.

Surprised no one posted these yet. Big Chief sent out an email about a week ago showing some current production piece photos. Honestly, I think they could have spent some more time futzing it and maybe upload a higher res image somewhere. These don't make it look very good. At least they acknowledged the wonky eyes.

UeeG4rq.jpg
Gb7KdUQ.jpg

Surprised no one posted these yet. Big Chief sent out an email about a week ago showing some current production piece photos. Honestly, I think they could have spent some more time futzing it and maybe upload a higher res image somewhere. These don't make it look very good. At least they acknowledged the wonky eyes.

View attachment 463176
View attachment 463177

Not much to talk about. From BCS! If you were worried about the 8th Doctor as shown I think you’ll be pleased:

Here is Big Chiefs response in full.

Dear BIG Chief Customers and Fans.

We have sent over all the changes, tweaks and modifications over to the factory for the 8th Doctor. We have also been looking at all the comments, suggestions and feedback that we have received via email and the fan page since the email went out. We are happy to announce that the factory will be making the following changes to the figure.

Firstly some of you are concerned with the size of the head. The head is the correct size its not too small. Part of the issue we have had with the images that were taken is how the lens distortion has effected the whole of the figure. It does not appear like this in hand. As we know these figures always look different hand and is always very hard to get them to look right on the photos without futzing. The main issue is the jacket itself the shoulder padding is a little too big making him look a little boxy which is making his head look smaller. So the head is the correct size.

Head.

1. As previously stated in the email the eyes are not centred and the hair pieces on the front are too shiny.

Jacket.

The Jacket is a not as light as it appears in the photos it is darker in hand.

1. Shoulder pads are being reduced in size.
2. Overall the coat is a little too loose and baggy on the fit and will be bought in closer to the figures body.
3. The 6 buttons on the front should not run in a straight line, they will run at the correct angle which is at a slight angle.
4. The 3 cuff buttons on each cuff will be added.

Waistcoat.

1. The cut of the waistcoat is not quite right and the lapels sit a little too high. These are will be brought down a little to show more shirt and cravat.
2. The colour of the waistcoat is to light this will be made darker matching closer to the colour of the trousers.
3. The spacing of the buttons should be further apart and will be changed to a black colour not gold.

Cravat.

It will be tied correctly.

Shoes.

When we were working on the prototype the reference was extremely limited. The shoes were sculpted how they were believed to look which was a laced up boot, with a thick sole. Similar to the 9th Doctor. When they were finished and put them on the prototype they just didn’t look right didn’t match the costume. Again as we thought it was a laced up boot as that is what we were told at the time. They just looked to big and chunky. Our decision was to use a previous shoe/boot that would work better with the costume. So we choose to use the first 11th Doctor boot which has been re-tooled.
Recently more reference has been found that is in a higher defintion which appeared on the fans page. We are currently having our sculptor re-sculpt the upper part of the shoe as the sole was sculpted correctly in the first place. Therefore the 8th Doctor will have the correct shoes moving forward.

Accessories.

They all looked good but had some flashing (Mould mark issues) These will be corrected.

Your feedback and suggestions are always important to us and we do listen.

Many Thanks to all of you for your continued support and custom.

Gregg Andrews

Creative Director.

Yeah the head does appear a bit small there, and I don't think it's just because of lens distortion or too much shoulder padding. But I guess we'll see what it looks like after their improvements...

Back