BCS 1:6 Doctor Who: Eighth Doctor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the 8th Doctor. I'm REALLY happy they went with the TV movie version first. I think he'll sell better than if he had been after the NOTD version as so many seem to prefer the latter. I do want the NOTD version one day though.

View attachment 223268

This is easily an instant buy for me. a NOTD exclusive sculpt would be nice but they'll probably offer it with the War Doctor. I've always preferred McGann's Victorian look with the long wig anyway.

Necro-bump more photos of the prototype finally dropped, sorry on my phone before work so struggling to grab the link!

It's on Big Chief's FB page.

Honestly given how long it's been between the original sneaky looks we've had and this more official teaser I'm utterly unimpressed by the likeness. (Though it's Eight so I know I'm going to end up ordering him)

Still it should make a good base for a kitbash if they (probably won't given they've had the thing for two years now) don't improve that headsculpt - I know McGann has a difficult face to get right, but Big Chief charging Hot Toys prices for work that's out of date with likenesses that fail to match up even to the old Character Options figures? Eesh...

^ Agreed, the likeness is OK but could be better - hopefully they will improve it . :pray:

I do want to get all of the Doctors so I will more than likely end up getting him. Really re-considering my BCS order strategy though...as a fair few of the Who figures seem to end up in their special offers section with decent discounts - I might just take my chances with that instead of pre-ordering - will depend on the edition size and cost of him....so guess will have to wait and see! :)

While not great, I don't think the likeness is that bad, either, apart from the derpy looking eyes (which hopefully is just due to the photography). After all, McGann's features have changed quite a bit over the years, so sometimes one gets so used to how someone looks now that they forget how they used to look, and imagine an idealised version of their younger self based on today, rather than a strictly accurate one based on how they really looked at the time. Mind you, basing it on the unconvincing promo image expression is yet another one of those odd choices by Big Chief that I don't really get, and I think this would have worked better if they had gone with something a little more expressive and better representing the personality of this particular incarnation in the TVM, but such is life, I guess.

Still, even though I just think it's 'okay' I'll buy it because I'm a sucker for Who, and because I want a representation of every Doctor on my shelf, and where else am I going to get a McGann Doctor from, if not here. Worst case scenario, I see how it looks with a high quality repaint.

A night of the Doctor head sculpt would have been a great bonus, even if folks had to customise their own outfit for it. But oh well...

Well having stared at side by side images of both the figure and (the right era) McGann...

At the very least the eyebrows are throwing everything off - they're ridiculously thick/cartoony, and suffer from the same odd positioning that Predators Royce had back in the day.

And whilst McGann does have a long thin face I think the sculpt is missing some softness in the planes of the cheeks which is making him look a bit stretched.

(Why yes, I do like Eight enough to obsess over why the sculpt is 'off' rather than my more usual habit of noticing that it's a bit not right and not-buying)

I'm actually quite happy so far, but I want to see more pics. McGann is interesting as I've spent a good deal of time drawing him for various projects over the years and he can actually look fairly different from different angles. And I DO think people are so used to his current face they might forget a bit of what he looked like back then. But, as I said.... I want to see more pics. The idea of including the other head is interesting, although the head is one of the most expensive parts of a figure. So I never saw them doubling up. And I'm REALLY hoping we see ANOTHER 8th figure with that look, as he really does deserve his own figure.

8 is one of my favorite Doctors, so I'm all over this preorder.

They have doubled up on heads are a preorder bonus so a Night version is possible. I personally think there's enough difference between both 8th Doctors they could release a Night version on its own or perhaps make it the new build a figure now that Tennant in his jim-jams is complete.

Oh, man, please no BAF. I couldn't buy all the figures required. Unless they just offered all the bits separately. I guess it'd be better than nothing.

I'm ok with baf.
I don't believe I'd have bought a Jim Jams 10th Doctor , but I'm pleased with the way he's turning out.

That said, I can't see BC doing a 2nd 8th. Me, I'm happy with the one that's being shown.

I can't see them ever making a second Eighth Doctor either, to be honest. Plus after Pertwee, we still have Troughton, Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy to go, not to mention whoever the next Doctor is, which I imagine will be fast-tracked, so it can be on sale as soon as is practical to do so. That's six we're waiting on, even putting aside the rumour that they are thinking about making yet another Tenth Doctor...

All they have to do is re-issue that first 10th. They could sell out again inno time flat.

Oh- just watched first ep of S10. Wasn't impressed.

I can't see them ever making a second Eighth Doctor either, to be honest. Plus after Pertwee, we still have Troughton, Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy to go, not to mention whoever the next Doctor is, which I imagine will be fast-tracked, so it can be on sale as soon as is practical to do so. That's six we're waiting on, even putting aside the rumour that they are thinking about making yet another Tenth Doctor...

The reason I think another 8th could be in the cards is that he appeared in the new series, and generally New Series figures have sold better than old series figures IIRC. Just having that extra push in the short, and the spike in popularity it gave him, might be enough to push it through.

I don't think fast is in Big Chiefs vocabulary.

Given how he is generally considered a "lesser" Doctor, I think McCoy is a matter of 'if' rather than 'when'. Same with C.Baker. I am expecting the line to run out of steam by the time of Doctors #6 and #7.

Big Chief recently confirmed in an interview that their intention is still to make all of the Doctors, so as long as they still have, and are using, the license I'll hold on to that hope. I also happen to think that even the least popular Doctor would still sell better than any companion or supporting character overall, even wildly popular ones like Rose and Sarah Jane. Signature editions would also work in the favour of the less widespread popular Doctors, I'd imagine. Plus which, I think the closer we get to having all the Doctors, the more people are going to want the line up completed anyway. That's my hope, anyway.

Colin Baker, Patrick Troughton, and Jon Pertwee are my most wanted, so I'll be particularly disappointed if any of those don't make it to the shelf. And I still want McCoy and Davison, too, they just aren't personal favourites.

Big Chief recently confirmed in an interview that their intention is still to make all of the Doctors, so as long as they still have, and are using, the license I'll hold on to that hope. I also happen to think that even the least popular Doctor would still sell better than any companion or supporting character overall, even wildly popular ones like Rose and Sarah Jane. Signature editions would also work in the favour of the less widespread popular Doctors, I'd imagine. Plus which, I think the closer we get to having all the Doctors, the more people are going to want the line up completed anyway. That's my hope, anyway.

Colin Baker, Patrick Troughton, and Jon Pertwee are my most wanted, so I'll be particularly disappointed if any of those don't make it to the shelf. And I still want McCoy and Davison, too, they just aren't personal favourites.

That's good to know! :yess: Still can hope that one day I might get my (most wanted) Second Doctor figure then! :pray: :pray:

Well PO'd the signature edition. It's Eight. He's my favourite - kinda had to. (I'm almost convinced that the only thing that's throwing the likeness off is those thickly painted eyebrows from the additional photos they've now got up.) Though is it terrible that I was a wee bit disappointed that the exclusive wasn't the Neca Sonic Screwdriver?

Foolishly pre-ordered the signature edition last night.

That's now 4 Who figures paid for, with the first of those paid 14 months ago, with no confirmed release date!!

I foolishly pre-ordered him too (I never learn!), deposit only though for me, expect this figure will be subject to the usual BCS delays! :gah: :slap

Used the discount voucher from the Clara email so the deposit was a bit less too, which was nice! :rock

Back