Battle of the Movies - 1/4 Final!! (CLOSED)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Battle of the Movies - 1/4 Final!!

I shouldn't be participating really, haven't seen Seven Samurai.

Alien.

Definitely see Samurai when you can. It isn't just a "classic" to view so that you can say you viewed it, it's actually a genuinely great period adventure film that has a high rewatch value not too far off from something like Fellowship of the Ring.

Definitely see Samurai when you can. It isn't just a "classic" to view so that you can say you viewed it, it's actually a genuinely great period adventure film that has a high rewatch value not too far off from something like Fellowship of the Ring.
For sure. Kurosawa is an expert in cinematography and a master in moving the camera to evoke emotions. He knows how to tell a story.

Seven Samurai is one of the greatest movie, ever. Always in my top ten, and very near the top. Kurosawa was a God! there's everything in that movie. Love, emotion, adventure, a criticism of society. It really shows that nothing is ever black or white but rather a deep grey.

And as Khev says, it's not just a classic. Classics often feel good but sometimes old too. This movie never feels its age.

This is apples and brussles sprouts comparison. They're both excellent in their own regard but as much as I like and respect Seven Samurai, I have to go with Alien. It is an unfair paring if you ask me, might as well pit Alien vs. Citizen Kane (which BTW, Kane SHOULD be in the top 8 imho....) And considering ESB won over GFII (I think genre bias helped that one, and Raiders), so genre bias help Alien! :D

Curious as to why this wasn't pitted against Godfather I, as the every other title from the first post seemed to be the way of the matchups.

After seeing thoroughbred's TGTB&TU and The Godfather Part 2 losing to nostalgia nags Raiders & Empire, I'm going to switch voting strategy and jinx Alien this time.

My voting has been kind of arbitrary from match to match. This one was decided on what I'd watch again right now.

Seven Samurai

Seven Samurai

Like in sports its all about the match-ups.

I would have picked ALIEN over ESB.

Live scores:
- 24 hrs more for voting..

8 - Seven Samurai
7 - Alien

Alien 8:8 Seven Samurai

NEXT VOTE WINS. Voting is not permitted to those who have voted before in this duel.

i Will fight anyone in thunderdome for the honors!!!!

Goddamn it... First I take a test that makes me choose what would disappear from the earth; burgers or tacos, now THIS? This has been a painful day.

Alien is one of my favorite sci-fi movies, and my favorite sci-fi horror specifically, and Seven Samurai, man, it's such a masterpiece of simplicity.... I vote.... Sigh:

S E V E N S A M U R A I S E V E N S A M U R A I S E V E N S A M U R A I

What a soul crushing task, I never thought I'd vote against Sci-Fi, had this been 2001 it would've been different. Curse whoever burdened me with this blasted responsibility.

Alien 8:9 Seven Samurai
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 // 4 F I N A L::
Match -4:

THE GODFATHER /1972/
the-godfather.jpg

.vs.

SCARFACE /1983/
ef7825efac151c25a1f799b8d5e634fa7f083aa2.jpg

Back