Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted this on another thread, this is probably a better place for it:

To me it seems that DC really wants their audience to walk away from their movies thinking deeply, which is why, IMO, many aren't loving the movie. With MARVEL already established as the standard as the comic book movies, audiences aren't going in expecting such a deeply layered film and it comes off as a bit disconnected or pointless if you don't pay extremely close attention to the details. I think the movie was fantastic and although I do agree that some bits could have been conveyed a little more strongly to reinforce the concepts, I felt that I personally understood what they were going for. One thing I felt was interesting was all the amount of symbolism. Especially the religious symbolism, even though a lot of people run away screaming from that. They have consistently showed the Man of Steel as like a Christ-like figure even at the end of this movie when Batman rolled Supes in his cape and passed his body down to WW. This was a straight out of the book representation of Christ's removal from the cross. Then with the levitating soil on the coffin, it was like they were going for a "he died and will rise again on the 3rd day" effect and making Superman to be some Messiah figure. BUT... if you look at some of the Batman symbolism, specifically the scene during their fight when Batman carries Superman's body over his back, with Superman's arms outstretched in cross formation; it's like they're saying Superman is the all powerful being that society looks at like a Messiah figure, but realistically Batman will be the one to bear the weight of the cross. As an attempt to display the strength and potential of the man among all of these god-like beings. Batman will be the one to assemble the justice league ("the disciples") and he will be the true backbone among these heroes. Even though Superman is strong physically, emotionally he lacks strength because he cares so much. Batman has been to hell in back and survived in a way and has the emotional strength to be the leader in a way that even these god-like heroes couldn't. Basically, the one to appear the weakest is truly the strongest."

I just figure we all approach things from a slightly different perspective, so in most cases, I'm not going to ridicule someone or argue with them over opinion, it's just pointless. To one person it might genuinely be a great film, to another, pure crap, and that's great actually. How painfully boring would life be if we all just saw everything the same way? I just can't wrap my head around people who get their panties all in a twist over this stuff, actually get hostile and start developing conspiracy theories in their head over why their beloved movie just isn't appealing to most everybody else, to me it just comes off as mental illness.

So, enjoy your movie, I'm glad you like or love it, just don't get so worked up about it. People already get worked up enough over religion, politics and guns, no need to add movies to the list. But if I state my opinion, don't expect me to walk on egg shells to protect your self esteem, it's just a damn movie! If I like it, I'll say so, if I don't, I'll say so.

By the way, this isn't necessarily directed at anybody specifically here, or for that matter, meant to exclusively apply to BVS.
Thanks for the response.

Before laughing your lungs out you might want to re read What ive written.
Never said people who disliked this movie in particular are stupid for not liking it.
Just that these days the success of a movie means nothing about its merits.
Huge turds have huge success.
Saying that the average audience has no clue about What is a good movie is just a fact.

Don't need to comment Rushmore said it best.
These arguments work both ways you know, perhaps the people that like BVS are the clueless moviegoers who wouldn't know a good movie from a bad one.

Its smacks so strongly of arrogance. I don't care if you like or don't like a movie, but no need to chalk a difference of opinion up to some shortcoming of the viewer

Unless you like the Transformers movies, then you just deserve whatever derision you get. ;)

Stop Picking on Jye :lol

The mistake you seem to be making is that you're assuming that in order to be a fan of a movie you have to be unaware of any "problems" or fail to recognize them. That isn't the case. Those of us that like BvS simply think that the good outweighs the bad.

Yep.. I liked the film. Warts and all. Far from perfect but still entertaining.

I just figure we all approach things from a slightly different perspective, so in most cases, I'm not going to ridicule someone or argue with them over opinion, it's just pointless. To one person it might genuinely be a great film, to another, pure crap, and that's great actually. How painfully boring would life be if we all just saw everything the same way? I just can't wrap my head around people who get their panties all in a twist over this stuff, actually get hostile and start developing conspiracy theories in their head over why their beloved movie just isn't appealing to most everybody else, to me it just comes off as mental illness.

So, enjoy your movie, I'm glad you like or love it, just don't get so worked up about it. People already get worked up enough over religion, politics and guns, no need to add movies to the list. But if I state my opinion, don't expect me to walk on egg shells to protect your self esteem, it's just a damn movie! If I like it, I'll say so, if I don't, I'll say so.

By the way, this isn't necessarily directed at anybody specifically here, or for that matter, meant to exclusively apply to BVS.

Been saying this all along... Good post.

To me it seems that DC really wants their audience to walk away from their movies thinking deeply, which is why, IMO, many aren't loving the movie. With MARVEL already established as the standard as the comic book movies, audiences aren't going in expecting such a deeply layered film and it comes off as a bit disconnected or pointless if you don't pay extremely close attention to the details. I think the movie was fantastic and although I do agree that some bits could have been conveyed a little more strongly to reinforce the concepts, I felt that I personally understood what they were going for. One thing I felt was interesting was all the amount of symbolism. Especially the religious symbolism, even though a lot of people run away screaming from that. They have consistently showed the Man of Steel as like a Christ-like figure even at the end of this movie when Batman rolled Supes in his cape and passed his body down to WW. This was a straight out of the book representation of Christ's removal from the cross. Then with the levitating soil on the coffin, it was like they were going for a "he died and will rise again on the 3rd day" effect and making Superman to be some Messiah figure. BUT... if you look at some of the Batman symbolism, specifically the scene during their fight when Batman carries Superman's body over his back, with Superman's arms outstretched in cross formation; it's like they're saying Superman is the all powerful being that society looks at like a Messiah figure, but realistically Batman will be the one to bear the weight of the cross. As an attempt to display the strength and potential of the man among all of these god-like beings. Batman will be the one to assemble the justice league ("the disciples") and he will be the true backbone among these heroes. Even though Superman is strong physically, emotionally he lacks strength because he cares so much. Batman has been to hell in back and survived in a way and has the emotional strength to be the leader in a way that even these god-like heroes couldn't. Basically, the one to appear the weakest is truly the strongest."

If this is what the film was really going for then I can't decide if this makes me like the film more or less... It's either brilliant or incredibly pretentious :lol

Thanks for the response.

I think I went off on a tangent there, sorry.

One of these days (probably July, when it hits video) I'll actually have to see this movie and offer my own opinion.

But I have to say, the way some people really go off the deep end in regards to this film, kind of makes me not want to see it. Because I have a sinking suspicion that some people on here may take offense to my opinion, which right now is based on what I've seen in the trailers and my past experience with the Director.

And Thank You Jaws!

Last edited:

To me it seems that DC really wants their audience to walk away from their movies thinking deeply, which is why, IMO, many aren't loving the movie. With MARVEL already established as the standard as the comic book movies, audiences aren't going in expecting such a deeply layered film

Stopped reading there...

CW1qGpa.gif

But I have to say, the way some people really go off the deep end in regards to this film, kind of makes me not want to see it. Because I have a sinking suspicion that some people on here may take offense to my opinion, which right now is based on what I've seen in the trailers and my past experience with the Director.
[emoji38]Hello me, circa last week.

You'll enjoy it if you like DC comic stuff in general and want something diferent from Marvel formula.
Skip it otherwise, not a very good film.

tumblr_ln28uirXHg1qgaz7xo1_500.gif

Yeah, they really are pretty useless and outdated to me, too. Even when I agree with critical consensus on a movie (which does seem to happen more often that naught) I really don't care.

Yes because even when they all agree (like with The Force Awakens for example) tomorrow they can all change their minds and say "you know upon further reflection it sucks now." Screw 'em. :lol

I never went to this movie with the intention of hating it.
In all seriousness I did not.

I defended this... I defended Snyder, I stayed out of the jokes, In all of snyders career I never joined any hate or bashing wagons.
Always defending the running zombies,
Always defending watchmen, the change in ending for watchmen,
Defended mos...

That's the problem, I always gave mos a pass because of my faith in Snyder. I always told people that even though mos superman was not cheerful that for bvs things would get much better.
I expected things to pick up in bvs, I expected Snyder to make a proper superman
But there will never be a proper superman under him, this will always be alternate universe superman, he will never truly shine.

This is NOT just a bad movie, it is kind of a betrayal, that might sound dramatic but after defending mos and then 3 years of trying to defend this and then they make such a mess....

I should have listened to the people saying that mos was too dark, should have known better than to expect Snyder to be able to do light characters or even anything but dark and gritty.

As someone who loved Snyder movies I never expected something this bad.
I never thought he could drop the ball like this. I really don't care what anyone says, this is one of his worst movies

Yes because even when they all agree (like with The Force Awakens for example) tomorrow they can all change their minds and say "you know upon further reflection it sucks now." Screw 'em. :lol

True. :lol And that does happen enough for many of their opinions to lose even further credibility. I really do believe too much of it just posturing these days.

True. :lol And that does happen enough for many of their opinions to lose even further credibility. I really do believe too much of it just posturing these days.

Just like u can't trust opinions of people involved with a specific project :lol
No one (none of the actors or producers) will ever say what they think because look at what happened to Andrew when he spoke about asm2 ..

Or the director or fantastic 4...

Opinions of the people working on this are as bias as the hateful critics

I never went to this movie with the intention of hating it.
In all seriousness I did not.

I defended this... I defended Snyder, I stayed out of the jokes, In all of snyders career I never joined any hate or bashing wagons.
Always defending the running zombies,
Always defending watchmen, the change in ending for watchmen,
Defended mos...

That's the problem, I always gave mos a pass because of my faith in Snyder. I always told people that even though mos superman was not cheerful that for bvs things would get much better.
I expected things to pick up in bvs, I expected Snyder to make a proper superman
But there will never be a proper superman under him, this will always be alternate universe superman, he will never truly shine.

This is NOT just a bad movie, it is kind of a betrayal, that might sound dramatic but after defending mos and then 3 years of trying to defend this and then they make such a mess....

I should have listened to the people saying that mos was too dark, should have known better than to expect Snyder to be able to do light characters or even anything but dark and gritty.

I never thought he could drop the ball like this. I really don't care what anyone says, this is one of his worst movies

get

Dunno whacha takin' bout, "Dawn of the Dead" will always be Snyder's worst and 300 will always be his best.

Stopped reading there...

CW1qGpa.gif

BRING KEATON BACK AS BRUCE WAYNE IN BATMAN BEYOND

Or bring Keaton and Bale back as their respective Batman characters and have them go up against Affleck Batman and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (as a Thomas Wayne Batman) in a whacky multiverse film.

Dunno know about West (too old), Kilmer (dying), or Clooney (******).

I'd actually want a "Crisis on Two Earths" type of film after JL, with Keaton as Owlman.

Nathan Fillion could finally play... Power Ring. :lol

BRING KEATON BACK AS BRUCE WAYNE IN BATMAN BEYOND

Or bring Keaton and Bale back as their respective Batman characters and have them go up against Affleck Batman and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (as a Thomas Wayne Batman) in a whacky multiverse film.

Dunno know about West (too old), Kilmer (dying), or Clooney (******).

Might as well bring Brandon Routh as "Reeve" Sups too. Kilmer is dying?

A Batman Beyond movie could work with either Keaton or Bale, imo. If they ever make a Beyond film, it should be a continuation of the Burton, Bale, or even Affleck Batman films so that there is an actual history to the character, making the story of an old Bruce Wayne more meaningful. If they make a Beyond film with a new actor as old Batman and no "real" history, then it might not work. What made the cartoon work was the fact that it was the same character we had seen as a young man, and a character and world we were familiar with.

Back