Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess Horror doesn't give you the kind of money that Comic movies does, but Snyder should make another horror movie here and there because he is pretty perfect for it (Again Im not being sarcastic, he really does have a good eye for dark things)
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's the money or if was just the chance to take on his fave comics but he's at his best with the gruesome stuff. That's why I think a Flashpoint adaptation would've been a better fit for Snyder.

he could have become a horror icon. he could have come up with a new horror iconic character like freddy or jason.

it is interesting because his talents would be better fit for horror completely. someone with an amazing eye for visuals like him in the horror genre would have been groundbreaking.

he could have ushered a new era of horror with his style. imagine that, horror movie that would look beautiful. makes me wonder 2 things

1. why did he want to work on dawn of the dead to begin with (if he is a comic fan, is he a big horror fan?)

2. what made him not make any other horror movies, (did he want to keep with horror but wanted to make big budget movies as well?) horror has never been known for big budgets so it makes me wonder if Snyder had other Horror ideas in mind but didn't follow them.

This is a pretty good article from Variety:

‘Batman v Superman’: Warners, DC Entertainment Need a Stronger Vision | Variety

Essentially argues that while Snyder is a great visualist, he struggles with story-telling.

It also points out that WB needs the equivalent of a Kevin Feige in order to assist with "bringing everything together" and navigating the over-arching vision and that Snyder essentially had to go it on his own because WB doesn't have anyone right now. Geoff Johns would be the man for the job, but he's already reportedly "too busy" as the Chief Creative Officer or whatever-his-title is for DC Comics. Bruce Timm could possibly be another suggestion...but after "running" DC Animated for so long, is he really up for doing the movies too?

Man it's s small world. I didn't know James Gunn wrote the screenplay for Dawn of the Dead. That seems to be the only movie he and Snyder ever worked together on. I wonder if it was Gunn's desire to direct that kept him from working with Snyder again because they had an instant hit and then parted ways. That seems unusual for Hollywood right?

Posted this on another thread, this is probably a better place for it:

To me it seems that DC really wants their audience to walk away from their movies thinking deeply, which is why, IMO, many aren't loving the movie. With MARVEL already established as the standard as the comic book movies, audiences aren't going in expecting such a deeply layered film and it comes off as a bit disconnected or pointless if you don't pay extremely close attention to the details. I think the movie was fantastic and although I do agree that some bits could have been conveyed a little more strongly to reinforce the concepts, I felt that I personally understood what they were going for. One thing I felt was interesting was all the amount of symbolism. Especially the religious symbolism, even though a lot of people run away screaming from that. They have consistently showed the Man of Steel as like a Christ-like figure even at the end of this movie when Batman rolled Supes in his cape and passed his body down to WW. This was a straight out of the book representation of Christ's removal from the cross. Then with the levitating soil on the coffin, it was like they were going for a "he died and will rise again on the 3rd day" effect and making Superman to be some Messiah figure. BUT... if you look at some of the Batman symbolism, specifically the scene during their fight when Batman carries Superman's body over his back, with Superman's arms outstretched in cross formation; it's like they're saying Superman is the all powerful being that society looks at like a Messiah figure, but realistically Batman will be the one to bear the weight of the cross. As an attempt to display the strength and potential of the man among all of these god-like beings. Batman will be the one to assemble the justice league ("the disciples") and he will be the true backbone among these heroes. Even though Superman is strong physically, emotionally he lacks strength because he cares so much. Batman has been to hell in back and survived in a way and has the emotional strength to be the leader in a way that even these god-like heroes couldn't. Basically, the one to appear the weakest is truly the strongest."

Yeah that comparison was pretty obvious. Zack has been trying to push that since MoS.

To be honest, I'm on the fence on whether to like that aspect or not. Right now, I think this "Superman" wasn't really a savior in any way.

And that's why I really disliked the last quarter of the film. The ending did not add value at all. In fact, I would say that at that point in time, that world was better off if Superman was never there.

So yeah, I think all the "Messiah" references fell towards the flat side. It was a good try, but it was probably not appropriate.

This is a pretty good article from Variety:

‘Batman v Superman’: Warners, DC Entertainment Need a Stronger Vision | Variety

Essentially argues that while Snyder is a great visualist, he struggles with story-telling.

It also points out that WB needs the equivalent of a Kevin Feige in order to assist with "bringing everything together" and navigating the over-arching vision and that Snyder essentially had to go it on his own because WB doesn't have anyone right now. Geoff Johns would be the man for the job, but he's already reportedly "too busy" as the Chief Creative Officer or whatever-his-title is for DC Comics. Bruce Timm could possibly be another suggestion...but after "running" DC Animated for so long, is he really up for doing the movies too?

Well that's what i was getting at,
He doesn't only have a problem with storytelling, he has a big problem with doing anything cheerful or light or "happy"

Zack Snyder soul be the perfect choice for the spawn reboot

I would love that. Zack Snyder doing spawn would be the perfect thing.

That is a decent read - and a fair take on the current situation with BvS and with the DC universe in general. I've always felt DC/Warner's biggest mistake was not having their own "Feige" - someone who kind of caretakes the whole thing.

BvS doesn't "suffer" from being a Snyder film...if it suffers from anything, it's the ham-handed studio mandated interference. The one instance cited in the article is the biggest offender...having a main character stop the movie's momentum cold to watch thinly-veiled commercials for other DC characters is a wall that didn't need to be crashed into. I'd love it if in that "Ultimate Cut" that supposed to hit this summer, Snyder actually did do some cutting, with those scenes being the main ones to hit the floor. The movie works best when it's focus is on the two leads...their arc in this is interesting enough that it could hold the movie together without all the "extras". Even having "Wonder Woman" crammed in there...hey, she is fun to see in action briefly here, but her whole part in this cut be easily trimmed out and not affect the main events between Batman and Superman and help in tightening the story and the movie.

And we'll see plenty of her soon enough in her own movie...

I hope the suits at WB don't panic and pull the plug on Snyder here....let him do what he does well...make the movies...while someone else sweats the big stuff.

That is a decent read - and a fair take on the current situation with BvS and with the DC universe in general. I've always felt DC/Warner's biggest mistake was not having their own "Feige" - someone who kind of caretakes the whole thing.

BvS doesn't "suffer" from being a Snyder film...if it suffers from anything, it's the ham-handed studio mandated interference. The one instance cited in the article is the biggest offender...having a main character stop the movie's momentum cold to watch thinly-veiled commercials for other DC characters is a wall that didn't need to be crashed into. I'd love it if in that "Ultimate Cut" that supposed to hit this summer, Snyder actually did do some cutting, with those scenes being the main ones to hit the floor. The movie works best when it's focus is on the two leads...their arc in this is interesting enough that it could hold the movie together without all the "extras". Even having "Wonder Woman" crammed in there...hey, she is fun to see in action briefly here, but her whole part in this cut be easily trimmed out and not affect the main events between Batman and Superman and help in tightening the story and the movie.

I hope the suits at WB don't panic and pull the plug on Snyder here....let him do what he does well...make the movies...while someone else sweats the big stuff.

Their introduction came across very 'forced' and as it was noted, it came across like it was a commercial for those characters (complete with their logos!) rather than a natural flow. And it did break up the momentum and I felt it would have had more audience attachment if it was Batman watching the clips instead of Wonder Woman. I feel the audience could relate more with Batman, as a normal human being, seeing this sudden reality of other meta-humans in the world like Superman. You could imagine Batman getting more astonished and angrier knowing that Superman wasn't the "only one" he had to deal with. Finishing Superman wasn't "the end" for Batman, it would only be the beginning.

Wonder Woman comes from the world of Greek mythology...so seeing someone swim like Poseidon, God of the Sea...or run fast like Hermes, the Messenger God, should be the everyday norm for her.

WB should pull Geoff Johns from his role at DC Comics, give him a title like Feige's and have him focus 100% on the DC Cinematic movies.

To my eyes, this was very evident after Man of Steel, and reinforced with BVS. Not sure if I agree with the Feige thing, though. That inhibits creativity and ultimately runs creative folks like Favreau and Whedon off. The one thing I really like about the WB/DC-verse over the MCU is that we have the potential for something really innovative and ground-breaking, since it doesn't appear that the creative teams are forced to fit everything in a little box. This could be totally inaccurate, but that's my perception. And part of why I'm so excited for Suicide Squad. You have the potential for another Nolan Batman-type moment with DC. With Marvel, you're almost guaranteed to have a good, fun movie. But a truly great one? Not likely. We haven't seen one yet IMO. Closest we got was one of their first--Iron Man.

The nerve, the audacity!! :ignore: :ignore: :ignore:

I'm sure we'll also see a fan-edit around that will make the movie much more cohesive as well. Much like they did with the trailers...

The nerve, the audacity!! :ignore: :ignore: :ignore:

I share @jedibear's sentiment there. Wonder Woman (while completely badass and fun to watch) could have been removed from this film and her screentime could have been used to better flesh out the Batman and Superman story-arcs. Same goes for the entire Doomsday sequence, death and funeral.

Cut those out and we could have had a very good Batman vs Superman story arc.

This theory doesn't hold water since he was given free reign with MOS , he was left to direct how he wanted.
And mos was not the success they hoped for

Besides didn't people say Zack had free reign with bvs?

He doesn't get superman, he never will.

I'm sure we'll also see a fan-edit around that will make the movie much more cohesive as well. Much like they did with the trailers...

This will be fixed the same the star wars prequels will be fixed :lol
God bless fan edits :lol

If I were a director I wouldn't care either way. My job's done and I got paid, fans can do whatever they want.

you really dont know how much of their life and soul goes into it :lol specially if they had a hand in writing it

then some little snot nosed troll makes a much better version than you and the editor did :lol

url1.jpg

This film is barely getting any recognition, barely reading anything about it and we are on wk3 :slap

Maybe WB shouldn't be in such a rush to crank out these DC films. Such a shame

Back