Premium Format Batman Keaton Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Iconic" has nothing to do with it....

It's about negotiating directly with Nicholson for the likeness rights and by all reports, he's ridiculously expensive.

I understand that. SS went out and got Keaton knowing he will sell. Because Nicholson's Joker was so "iconic" I'm betting SS won't hesitate to go out and get Nicholson.

They did it for HT. Twice.

This response makes me want to go "And...?" or "So what...?"

And who's "they"??

What one company is willing to pay doesn't affect any other licence holder's decision on what to do with their money.

NECA said "not likely" and cited directly why...

https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/375418264723419136

Hmmmm.

Mattel has their upcoming "Movie-verse" line with virtually everyone but Nicholson...

Hmmmm.

And you'd think DC Direct would have an easier time with licensing fees, what with actually owning 'The Joker' and all. Yet, with Reeve Superman, Carter Wonder Woman and Keaton Batman statues to their credit, no Nicholson Joker. Not even the whiff of a rumor for a potential statue.

Hmmmm.

If a Sideshow rep is saying "we don't know", it's not safe to assume they'll go ahead with the licensing fee "just 'cause HT did".

I understand that. SS went out and got Keaton knowing he will sell. Because Nicholson's Joker was so "iconic" I'm betting SS won't hesitate to go out and get Nicholson.

They "got Keaton" because he was part and parcel with the WB end of the licensing contract.
Nicholson's contract was virtually unheard of at the time, taking a smaller salary, points on the box office and keeping the likeness rights for himself. (And setting the precedent for RDJ to follow in his 'Iron Man' negotiations.)

Nicholson knew exactly what he was doing because he was around for the '66 "Batmania" craze.

This response makes me want to go "And...?" or "So what...?"

And who's "they"??

What one company is willing to pay doesn't affect any other licence holder's decision on what to do with their money.

NECA said "not likely" and cited directly why...

https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/375418264723419136

Hmmmm.

Mattel has their upcoming "Movie-verse" line with virtually everyone but Nicholson...

Hmmmm.

And you'd think DC Direct would have an easier time with licensing fees, what with actually owning 'The Joker' and all. Yet, with Reeve Superman, Carter Wonder Woman and Keaton Batman statues to their credit, no Nicholson Joker. Not even the whiff of a rumor for a potential statue.

Hmmmm.

If a Sideshow rep is saying "we don't know", it's not safe to assume they'll go ahead with the licensing fee "just 'cause HT did".

lol alright mate.

My point was if HT were able to make some $$$ then why wouldn't SS.

Can they sell out on a pre order before announcing the edition size?

Yep, the did for the Batman Comic PF. I basically think they have a number in mind when the put up th PO, then adjust from there when the orders come in. If they hit the number very quickly, the round up and pick a cut off, if they don't they consider making a small edition size.

Thats of course just my speculation, but logical.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

They "got Keaton" because he was part and parcel with the WB end of the licensing contract.
Nicholson's contract was virtually unheard of at the time, taking a smaller salary, points on the box office and keeping the likeness rights for himself. (And setting the precedent for RDJ to follow in his 'Iron Man' negotiations.)

Nicholson knew exactly what he was doing because he was around for the '66 "Batmania" craze.

How do you know this? Do you have a cite.

How do you know this? Do you have a cite.

It's well known in the industry about Nicholson's deal. It set a precedent in the industry. The studio went for it because they didn't know the movie was going to be so successful and desperately wanted Jack in the picture since it was such a risk making the film in the first place (or so everyone thought back in the day).

lol alright mate.

My point was if HT were able to make some $$$ then why wouldn't SS.

To be fair, I wasn't arguing the point just to be contrary. Ultimately, it's down to SS's accounting department to calculate the "risk/reward" factor on having to cut an extra 'phat check' directly to Nicholson himself.

For NECA, it clearly wasn't worth it.
For HT, the popular "conspiracy theory" is that the 'Mime' variant even exists because the DX08 didn't sell well enough to justify the payment. And you'd have to believe they have an "all-inclusive" contract. They could pump out as many 'Jack' variants as there are Iron Mans and they only had to pay once.

Tell ya this, though, mate....

If *I* were part of SS's accounting team, based on the amount of "Inaccurate!" "Dealbreaker!!" whinging going on in this very thread over what amounts to an inconsequential slight tilt of the head, I'd recommend against pursuing Nicholson's approval.

Don't really need that headache from the 'purists'.

To be fair, I wasn't arguing the point just to be contrary. Ultimately, it's down to SS's accounting department to calculate the "risk/reward" factor on having to cut an extra 'phat check' directly to Nicholson himself.

For NECA, it clearly wasn't worth it.
For HT, the popular "conspiracy theory" is that the 'Mime' variant even exists because the DX08 didn't sell well enough to justify the payment. And you'd have to believe they have an "all-inclusive" contract. They could pump out as many 'Jack' variants as there are Iron Mans and they only had to pay once.

If *I* were part of SS's accounting team, based on the amount of "Inaccurate!" "Dealbreaker!!" whinging going on in this very thread over what amounts to an inconsequential slight tilt of the head, I'd recommend against pursuing Nicholson's approval.

Excellent. I can just picture it: "Jack never did this" his teeth were not that yellow" "the base he is on is inaccurate" etc, etc, and more mothereffin etc's. Whiners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you listened to the people on here you wouldn't make anything lol

In pre-canceling the preview of the preorder of PF Jack right now.
It's blatant inaccuracies are a deal baker to me. Shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back