Batman: Gotham Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw it and probably will never watch it again. It didn't feel like the Nolan Batman and certainly wasn't the Dini/Timm Batman. I guess I can admire the stylistic rendering in some of the episodes, but overall the stories didn't really grab me. Seemed to be just action for action's sake. I guess Through the Pain was really the only one that I liked, since it did deal with Bruce's character somewhat.

Yea, Through the Pain and the EMP One seemed the only ones to deal with the Batman Character (With not wanting to shoot or hurt anybody and dealing with his own pain). The one with the sniper assassain wasn't too bad either.

I thought it was entertaining and I'm really not a fan of anime. More story would have been nice. A little more conversation to go with the action so to speak. But I enjoyed it for what it was.

Don't blame the art style or animation. The lackluster writing is more to blame. This is especially sad when you consider the talent on the list of writers for GK (Goyer, Rucka, etc). I really wonder if any of these guys actually discussed the project together or if they just went their own separate ways. Maybe DC or WB had a hand in creative input. The result is definitely not comparable to any of Nolan's work.

I hate how people like to shoehorn stylistic entries and titles into the "anime" classification. These people obviously haven't seen real anime, and probably judge it based on rather dubious and out of date examples, like Voltron or Dragon Ball or something.

I'm not defending Gotham Knight's art style or anything. To that effect I hated the Bruce Wayne and Batman design in the "Field Test" short. As per traditional male anime protagonist, Bruce appeared too effeminate, too young.

But then again, you could say the same about the Bruce design in "Through the Pain" (my favorite of the shorts), but there was an edge to that design.

Last edited:
Back