1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pull-out engine and pop-up hood vents would have gone a long way in my book in terms of justifying the price tag. I do feel this collectible is missing one killer "that's incredible!" feature to really put it over the top.

I love this collectible. I've had it nearly a week now and I love it more every passing day. I was truly speechless when I pulled the cocoon off and saw it for the first time in person. It is an amazing, wonderful thing and I'm so glad to have it. But that said, it is my first (and last) 1:6 scale vehicle; I've only ever owned 1:6 scale Hot Toys figures before this, and I do not feel it's anywhere near the same level of high-end collectible status that their figures are.

I agree with Rorywan who said it was overall pretty cheap looking. It is a big plastic toy car. I'd go so far as to say this is basically the Barbie Car for our Batman. The details just aren't as sharp, refined, and intricate as you see in their figures. A lot of that is inherent in the design for this car - the details weren't very sharp. But even still, I feel Hot Toys could have done more with what was there (and making improvements to the source material is not unheard of for Hot Toys - I mean look at how much better the new Classic and Scar Predators headsculpts look compared to the ****ty rubber masks they're sourced from). Take for example the carseats; they're nice, but they don't look like carseats on the collectible - they look like toy car seats. The dashboard on the other hand is of course incredible.

Realistically for what it is, I feel this would have been priced fairly at $300. The finish and kind of plastic used has a lot to do with that "toy car" feel, I think. I know the car is supposed to be matte and I wouldn't want the super-glossy look of the Returns car, but I don't feel the body material or the finish is right. It ought to feel and look more metallic than it does. There's a difference between a matte metal look and a plastic car look.

batman-returns-batmobile-02.jpg

attachment.php

I'm with you on a lot of what you're saying. I dig this to death but when you compare it side by side with the Tumbler you start to wonder where the extra $$$ went. I guess a lot of that SMH feeling has to so with the sleek design (but like you said, that's what this car is; nothing more). You'd imagine that the Tumbler took more effort to assemble with its more intricate design, wings, pistons, etc. On the other hand the 89 has a lot more functioning features.

The 89 retails for $160 more than the Tumbler and I think when you balance out their differences the 89 would have been better priced close to the same as the Tumbler or up to $550 MAX.

The shipping cost is what really makes the disparity appear worse between the two. The Tumbler shipped for about half (or less) of the 89's cost. So now, the people who got the Tumbler for $515 are paying $745 for the 89 (both high side numbers). It's easy to feel that the extra $230 isn't worth it, but a good chunk of that extra $$$ went up in smoke and was put toward moving this thing around the world and not into the product itself. I don't know anything about freighting costs but I wouldn't be surprised if some (a small portion) of the increased retail price of the 89 had to do with it costing HT more to ship these overseas.

^^^^^^

I don't feel quite as bad about the minor scuffs on mine after seeing that pic of the full size car.... it's a bit worn itself! :D

So I have a question. Friday night I asked the eBay seller I got mine from if he could talk to SS regarding getting some credit back since I had a couple of minor scuffs. His response was basically 'well I'll give SS a call on Monday but shipping was ridiculous for me.' (He charged me $70 and paid $165 himself.) But I still paid $670 total and I was by no means calling him out for the scratches. Hell it got to me in 2 days! Despite that, I still have scuffs and he chose to offer the $70 shipping. I haven't heard back from him yet. Should I be pushing for something from him or am I just being greedy? The scuffs aren't terrible (I've posted them previously.) I just feel like if SS is handing out credit I should be entitled right? The guy is a really highly rated seller so its not like he's some shady guy. Just not sure if I should pursue this further.

I think that the finish is actually really good but I know there are a bunch that are disappointed with it. I believe that the paint and paint job is not toyish; it's a cut above that and probably where some of the extra $$$ went.

I checked several of these for scratches with my flashlight app on my phone. When you shine a light on it like that you can see all the greyish metallic flecks in the paint. It's not just a straight eggshell or semi-gloss black

So I have a question. Friday night I asked the eBay seller I got mine from if he could talk to SS regarding getting some credit back since I had a couple of minor scuffs. His response was basically 'well I'll give SS a call on Monday but shipping was ridiculous for me.' (He charged me $70 and paid $165 himself.) But I still paid $670 total and I was by no means calling him out for the scratches. Hell it got to me in 2 days! Despite that, I still have scuffs and he chose to offer the $70 shipping. I haven't heard back from him yet. Should I be pushing for something from him or am I just being greedy? The scuffs aren't terrible (I've posted them previously.) I just feel like if SS is handing out credit I should be entitled right? The guy is a really highly rated seller so its not like he's some shady guy. Just not sure if I should pursue this further.

I say that he should be able to swing that for you. All he has to do is furnish your pics to SS himself (he may have to act like it's still in his possession). They'll credit him the $65 to whatever method he paid and in turn he can credit you back on PayPal

Did he even get his stock from SS? If he did, and you paid only $670 total including shipping, he had a great wholesale deal and passed on a lot of the savings to you. If you bought it directly from Sideshow, you'd have paid $630 + around $112 domestic shipping to Virginia for a total of $742. The SS "refund" for scratches is only around $60 (if that!...or is it less now), so had you bought it directly from Sideshow, you'd have paid $742 total and then if you got a $60 refund for your scratches, you'd be out of pocket for a total of $682. You STILL paid less than that with your eBay deal.

To try to get a refund out of SS for an eBay sale would be unfair to the seller, who as you say is upstanding with a lot of positive feedback, already gave you a decent discount off of the retail price, and ate a chunk of the shipping costs for you. Not to mention, you don't know if the Batmobile was delivered to the seller in pristine condition, or if the damage occured when it was reshipped to you. That's what makes this reselling so tricky...how long is SS responsible for damage if the product changes hands (ships multiple times) before it reaches its final destination?

I say that he should be able to swing that for you. All he has to do is furnish your pics to SS himself (he may have to act like it's still in his possession). They'll credit him the $65 to whatever method he paid and in turn he can credit you back on PayPal

I know people are pissed at HT+SS, but that's fraud man. SS/HT's wrong doesn't make it right.

Thanks guys. I'm in no way trying to be greedy or hurt the seller. I know I got a great deal and the guy shipped it fast. The scuffs aren't terrible at all and not his fault. I just wanted to see what others would do or had done in this spot. I'm going to just leave it be. He's a great seller (100% on over 3k transactions) who probably just wanted this huge box out of his shop.

I know people are pissed at HT+SS, but that's fraud man. SS/HT's wrong doesn't make it right.

:lol What I'm talking about isn't fraudulent. If he has a wholesale account with SS then all he has to do is say, "my customer bought this from me and here are his pics as proof" If he is a retail customer who bought 1 piece for himself and decided to sell it, then it's better to tell SS that it's his because they won't let someone handle the matter for a third party.

From my understanding when it comes to retail customers, SS wants to fix the problem with the person that bought it directly from them. If BatBrain bought his off eBay from a non-certified person, that doesn't mean that he's not entitled to the refund like everyone else; He's still buying it new

It's the same situation as if a deal is speaking to SS on your behalf and you furnish your deal the picture proof. SS accepts that situation but not the other.

Thanks guys. I'm in no way trying to be greedy or hurt the seller. I know I got a great deal and the guy shipped it fast. The scuffs aren't terrible at all and not his fault. I just wanted to see what others would do or had done in this spot. I'm going to just leave it be. He's a great seller (100% on over 3k transactions) who probably just wanted this huge box out of his shop.

If he's a shop owner/dealer than I'd definitely ask him to do it. It's no skin off of his back; it will take him a few phone calls, a couple of emails and some PayPal transactions but that's his responsibility as a seller

Just my opinion and that’s what I’d do

:lol What I'm talking about isn't fraudulent. If he has a wholesale account with SS then all he has to do is say, "my customer bought this from me and here are his pics as proof" If he is a retail customer who bought 1 piece for himself and decided to sell it, then it's better to tell SS that it's his because they won't let someone handle the matter for a third party.

From my understanding when it comes to retail customers, SS wants to fix the problem with the person that bought it directly from them. If BatBrain bought his off eBay from a non-certified person, that doesn't mean that he's not entitled to the refund like everyone else; He's still buying it new

It's the same situation as if a deal is speaking to SS on your behalf and you furnish your deal the picture proof. SS accepts that situation but not the other.

If the seller is clear with SS like in your first scenario, that the Batmobile is NOT in his possession but he is trying to get a refund for a customer, then that's not fraud. But SS may not decide to pay, especially if the seller isn't one of their resell partners.

Under your scenario, where do you draw the line. How long is SS responsible? And for how many resells? If after getting my sealed Batmobile from SS, I sold it to a guy, who sells it to a guy who sells it to another guy, and he opens it, and it's scuffed, is SS responsible? What if he waits 2 years before opening it? Is SS still responsible? In both cases, it was "new" when he opened it.

Thanks, Batfreak! I'm using an old Nikon D5000 DSLR, with this 35mm f1.8G lens for most of them and tried this 70-300mm zoom lens for one or two photos. I take all of my photos near the window with natural light spilling in; it's the only way I can get good results. I also take about 49 bad photos for every one photo I post :p Which as far as I'm concerned is the only real secret to taking good photos.

Damn you Span...i just bought that 35mm lens today because of you. Slapped it on my D90 and going to hopefully play with it tomorrow

Noooooo...of course I'm not saying that this should fly if it changed hands 10 times. That would be insane anyway because the picture proof would have to travel all the way back up the ladder to the 1st buyer who received it straight from SS.

What I'm saying is it should work this way if you're buying from the first person who received the item from SS. If BBTS, AE, CS, TA or any other store were in this situation, they'd say email us pics of your problem and in turn FWD it to SS. If I sold something to someone on eBay, it’s only right to provide them with that same customer care.

Is it the exact way that SS want's it done? No. But I wouldn't be doing anything that an authorized retailer couldn't do, or I couldn’t do for myself if I decided to keep the piece instead of sell it so it’s no skin of SS’s back. It's not a matter of being fraudulent in this case when it's done for the greater good. Especially when it's an issue that's common like this, Catwoman goggles, Cap's chipping shield, etc.

Last edited:
Back